AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new here but could REALLY use some help. I bought a Yamaha YHT270 home theater set (which has a HTR-5930 receiver) in September and love it.

Well, I hooked all my video game consoles up to it and that worked fine, then one day, my VCR video connection stopped displaying anything on my tv. I didn't know what to do and almost brought it somewhere to be fixed, then one day it just started working again and has ever since...until I unhooked the PS2 that was hooked up to it for Winter break, and now it isn't working again and nothing I can think of helps it.

Has this ever happened to anybody, either on this receiver or on another, where just the video won't display? I know it isn't the AV cable since it works on other inputs (DVD, V-Aux, etc.) and other devices that work don't work on the VCR component.

I'm at my wits end and I don't know of any repair places around me...so...any help?

·
Registered
272 Posts
That happens alot with video ins on receivers, at least in my experience anyways. I wouldn't bother sending it in anywhere as most audio repair shops charge an arm and a leg for repair jobs, it would probably cost you minimum $75 and then if you have to ship it anywhere then you cover shipping costs aswell so really not worth it. it's only been five months since you bought it, what's the warranty situation like? If you bought it at a bestbuy or similiar give them a call and see what they can do, might be able to help you out they might even do repairs for less than the 'boutique' places.

Double and triple check all your inputs though, and I don't mean to be condescending when I say that, it happens to everyone, where you think your putting something into an 'input' but it's really an output etc. So check that, pull the unit out and look at it in good light if you haven't tried that already.

Good luck,

Tristan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot Tristan.

The Yamaha Warranty is good until 2008 so I think I can bring it to an authorized Yamaha repair place and it would be fixed for free, right?

And believe me I've checked many times to make sure it's all set and it's not working...I wish it was just my own stupidity!

·
Registered
272 Posts
If it's under warranty you're good to go, head to yamaha's website and they should have a list of all their authorized repair places. That's happened to me a few times, not sure what the issue is with the video switching etc, even on my proceed avp2 the video board went and that was a $5K pre/pro!! Maybe they just focus more on the audio side of things and don't put as much effort into the video side of things....I don't know.

Hope everything works out,

Tristan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.