AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have got a YSP1000 along with the YST-FSW100 Sub, but with my room layout I think I need to alter the settings manually to get the most out of it. The trouble is though the settings are really confusing and not really sure what I am aiming for.

I am hoping that someone with a bit of knowledge can guide me or better still if someone is using a YSP in similar conditions (bit of a long shot on this one).

I have tried the auto setup using the mic, but read that manual intervention is required to get the best possible sound, especially in my room setup.

Thanks for any help.

BTW, its not very clear on the crappy paint attachment, but the room dimensions are Length 15FT, Height 8FT and Width 11FT.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi Chris,

Try this out.

First get your settings in as far as corner setting, height

, room, dimension, and the distance for listening postion to the YSP( judging from you diagram 8 or 9 feet). I think this is all under PARAMETER

Go into the beam

menu. Go to treble beam settings. Turn you Rears all the way up to about 10. The rears NEED to be

way up for the Yamahas magic to really work. Turn your

center channel up to 7 ( so you get good clear dialog)

In the sound menu, turn the treble to 6 and bass to 4

Go to 'image location' in your beam settings and judging by

the room, I would put 'left up' 15%

see how these work for getting started. You can always tweak a bit now from

here.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuk76 /forum/post/17047307

Hi all

I have got a YSP1000 along with the YST-FSW100 Sub, but with my room layout I think I need to alter the settings manually to get the most out of it. The trouble is though the settings are really confusing and not really sure what I am aiming for.

I am hoping that someone with a bit of knowledge can guide me or better still if someone is using a YSP in similar conditions (bit of a long shot on this one).

I have tried the auto setup using the mic, but read that manual intervention is required to get the best possible sound, especially in my room setup.

Thanks for any help.

BTW, its not very clear on the crappy paint attachment, but the room dimensions are Length 15FT, Height 8FT and Width 11FT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the suggestions, I will give it a go and report back.

Just another thing I am confused about, if I select corner install I can only do ST3 beam, why is this? Does using 3 beam mean I have no chance of any rear effects? Am I best setting it up as 5 beam mode (telling it the position of ysp is parallel rather than corner)? Then applying the manual tweaks you suggested?

Also should I run either the mic or basic setup before tweaking?

Forgot to mention, that the YSP is mounted under my TV, it is approx 1ft 7" from the floor. So on this basis would I need to alter the angle beam, if so how much and is it possible to bounce it off the ceiling and behind my head?

And finally when doing the testing, do you generally use the test button on the remote to see how each channel is working, or just playback a demo or movie?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The 3 beam

plus 2 is still going to give you those rear speakers. Just

make sure they are turned up. The auto

mic set up to me at least is not even

accurate. You get FAR better results by doing it by yourself.

What always kind of use as a test is either the opening

of 'Terminator' or orginal Star Wars. Both open with a spaeship coming

from the right rear speaker matching what is on screen.

The sound if all is right should originate over your right shoulder. Then

it is fun to try and tweak it and get it as far back as possible.

There are also some good tests for the left rear as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I set it up as suggested, but don't think it sounds very good. Now I have probably set something up wrong (as some options I do not understand)!

How important is it to get the room measurements 100% correct? And is it best to go over the measurement than under to make sure it hits the wall?

The best sound what I have had so far was using the mic calibration in 5 Beam mode, I place the mic on the stand which I place on the floor (quite a bit below my viewing height).

Can someone explain, why it says I can't use 5 Beam mode on a corner install?

Any other tips would be appreciated, as don't have massive amounts of time to sit and configure and test.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I set up with Mic again, as I think I got all my settings wrong last time. So this time have setup a corner install with the Mic and now in 3 beam st mode. I have also increased the treble as suggested.

When I am doing the tests, I can hear the surround to the left, but not to the right, so I am guessing that is due to my position and the room layout?

Is there anything I can alter settings wise to increase the right hand side to see if I can get any rear effect?

Would it help if I posted the rest of my settings?

Cheers

·
Registered
724 Posts
Chris,

1st. What subwoofer do you have hooked up.

2nd. Play

around with the horizantal beam angle on the Right surround

until to you get a better surround.

Judging by your room, you should get some stuff right over your right shoulder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou /forum/post/17071232

Chris,

1st. What subwoofer do you have hooked up.

Its a YST-FSW100 Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou /forum/post/17071232

2nd. Play

around with the horizantal beam angle on the Right surround

until to you get a better surround.

Judging by your room, you should get some stuff right over your right shoulder.

Will have a play around and see if I can hear any improvement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuk76 /forum/post/17074663

Its a YST-FSW100 Sub.

Will have a play around and see if I can hear any improvement.

Yeah I have finally found time to have a play around and yes I now can get some surround over my right shoulder, obviously it is better the further away from the wall I am.

The next problem is configuring the left hand side, as there is much wider space at that side. I have tried altering the beam, but not really sure what I am aiming for? Do I need the beam to hit the back of the wall at the immediate side of me? Or is it best to put the beam in the far corner of the room?

Also I still don't understand the measurements (what I should be measuring?) like the beam travel and focal point, especially I am sitting in an odd size room with so much open space to my left and very little to my right?

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts