AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm building my first HTPC and I can get it running.

I havent loaded anything yet as without an output to a monitor I cant into the BIOS.

I running a

ASUS P5W DH

E6600

Sapphire X1950Pro 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI VIVO AGP

Ebuyer 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 240pin Extra Value Ram

plus HDDs, DVD etc blah blah

My problem is that it seems to boot up ok, but there is NO output from the grpahics card...the fan doesnt even spin....nuffink

I've even swopped it out for another card and nuffink.....so whats at fault? the board? incompatible RAM?

i'm lost!

any helpers out here?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Does the system beep at all when it tries to boot? The beep codes can tell you what's wrong.

I would remove everything except the video card (no RAM, no HDD...nothing), reset the CMOS and see if it comes up. Then, add components one at a time until it fails.

·
Registered
13 Posts
something i did notice that might be a typo in your system specifications.

If i am not mistaken ASUS P5W DH motherboard is a 2 x PCI-E x 16 but your Video card is an AGP one not a PCI-E. I think that's the reason why you dont have an output from your pc to your display.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You can't use an AGP video card in that system. If you indeed are trying to use an AGP card, you may have already fried your video card, or motherboard or both. You should buy a PCIE video card and install it, crossing your fingers that it will still work.

On second thought, you should probably call on a knowledgable friend or co-worker, etc., to help you with the HTPC build, since you may be in a bit over your head with this project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnporter /forum/post/0

You can't use an AGP video card in that system. If you indeed are trying to use an AGP card, you may have already fried your video card, or motherboard or both. You should buy a PCIE video card and install it, crossing your fingers that it will still work.

On second thought, you should probably call on a knowledgable friend or co-worker, etc., to help you with the HTPC build, since you may be in a bit over your head with this project.

that was a typo as it wasnt the 512mb AGP, but 256mg PCI-E....i got them wrong in the spec as I bought them at the same time...one for the home PC, the other for the HTPC......thank feck i never installed the wrong one in the m/b.

I guess its the m/b thats dead.....nuffink happening......back to square one with a home that the cheap website has a decent RMA service.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.