AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I've patched an HT together and need some crossover setting help.

I'm using:

HK AVR-525

4 Energy Take 5.1 Sat

1 Energy Take 5.1 Center

1 Polk PSW-450 Sub

I believe my HK will let me set crossovers to their 'ideal' settings. Anyone have any advice as to what these would be based on my speakers?

Thanks!

RSG

·
Registered
859 Posts
err.. i think in this situation.. all you need to do is set all your speakers to small. set your subs' crossover at 85.. and let your av receiver send anything below 80 to the subs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I'm a bit new to this, so please bear with me.

According to Energy, here are a couple of stats I think play into this:

Frequency Response 90 Hz - 22 KHz

Crossover Point 2.5 kHz

Built in High Pass @ 90 Hz

Based on these stats, my assumption is that I need to send any signals below 90 Hz to the sub. Right?

My receiver (HK AVR-525) has two steps to set the speakers:

Size Mode, and

X- Over Mode

Having set all speakers to Small in Size Mode, I'm now trying to use the HK's 'Triple Cross-Over' settings. The options for each speaker are:

40 Hz

60 HZ

80 HZ

100 Hz

120 HZ

140 HZ

200 HZ

My assumption is that whichever setting I use, any signal below that setting will be sent to the Sub. Is that a correct assumption?

Since my speakers can't handle anything below 90 HZ, I believe I want to send anything below 100 Hz to the Sub. I assume setting the cross-over to 80 Hz would cause any sounds between the 80 Hz to 90 Hz to be lost. Right?

OK, all speakers are set to Small, and the cross-over for each speaker is set to 100 Hz.

My receiver also allows me to set the cross-over for the Sub. That sounds redundant to me. If I've already told the receiver when to send signals to the Sub, why would I need to set the cross-over to the Sub? Unless the setting for the Sub matches the setting for my speakers, aren't I going to lose the sound for some range of frequency? Or is this used in the event that my speakers have different cross-overs? I may have just answered my own question. In any event, I've set my Sub's cross-over to 100 Hz as well. Correct?

Now a couple of questions on the Sub itself (Polk PSW-450). On the back of the Sub, I have a couple of options.

One option is Low Pass. The settings on the knob range from 60 Hz to 120 Hz. I believe this is somewhat redundant to what I just did on the receiver. Am I safe so long as the setting is above 100 Hz? Since my receiver is actually dictating which signals are sent to the sub, all I need to ensure is that the Sub is accepting signals below 100 Hz. Even if I have is set to 120 Hz, it will never receive anything above 100 Hz. Right?

The second option is Phase. The two options are 0 degrees or 180 degrees. What the hell is this?

The third option is Volume. I assume this is purely preference. Correct?

Thanks again for the advice and patience. Obviously I'm pretty excited to get this setup!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I've tested my Sub-side frequency filter to be true.

Anyone have any advise on the 'Phase' setting?

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey rsg,

i have the mirage avs speakers for my center and surrounds. used to have them as my fronts also, but they're extremely similliar if not identical in performance to the energy takes that you have

the satellites have a frequency drop off around 110hz or so, i think their spec sheet rates them down to 90hz, so either way i think setting your h/k crossover for your sub to 80 is a bit low

i would suggest trying 100 and 120, with a audio calibration cd/dvd with tones to check for yourself, but my experience is that 100 was good, and 120 worked better to give an even response curve, but localized too much voice to the sub.

so i would suggest you keep your settings as you described in your long post, and since you're using your receiver's crossover you just move your sub's crossover to the highest setting, essentially defeating it, since the h/k cross over should be better anyways

the phase setting allows you to switch phases if your sub is getting destructive interference from your sats, but i believe they are sealed, so you can try messing around with it, but my guess is that you wont hear much of a difference either way.

enjoy your sound! from a fellow nycer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.