AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up my X1 tonight to my Sony HD100 HD stb. It has a VGA out port, and I didn't have a long enough vga to vga cable, so I hooked two of them up together and ran it straight from the Sony HD100 to the X1. Set both the stb and the X1 to 16:9 and tuned to HDnet. The image was the right aspect ratio, not stretched or distorted in any way, but it was off center to the right, and much smaller than it should be. It did not extend the full screen width--only about 2/3 of the way on both sides.

Then, I connected the HD100 via component out to a vga-bnc breakout cable into the X1s vga input, and the picture was perfect--centered and the full screen width. Just like it should be.

What gives with going vga to vga from the Sony HD100. I tried all different combos of aspect ratios on both the stb and the X1, and they all messed up the AR of the picture. Any ideas.

BTW--if you're worried about getting the X1 because it may not have enough "rez" to do HD, not to worry. The picture was outstanding--very detailed and with a lot of depth on my 92 x 52 HCMW screen. I would say it was at least as good, if not better, than my Sony W400Q, which is an excellent pj for HD. I'll give you a full report in the next few days, but I can tell you HD looks very, very good on the X1.

Any ideas why it isn't mapping the picture right going vga to vga from the HD100 to the X1?

Thanks,

mike

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mike, I can't help you with your situation. Sorry, I wish I could. Just so I understand correctly, when you hook up HD to the X1 via VGA, the image is displayed correctly?

Also, where did you get your breakout cables for this?

Thanks again!

patrick

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Patrick!

Yep...when I went component out of HD100 to vga port of X1 via breakout cable, everything was perfect. It was only when I went vga from the HD100 to vga on the X1 that I had the problem. Can't figure it out! Must be a sync issue or something.

I got my breakoutcable at Ultimate Electronics for $49.99. I know I can get them cheaper online, but I was a little impatient and wanted to see how the X1 did with HD. Next week, I will probably just order a straight vga to component cable, and avoid all the BNC adapters, etc.

I'll post a full report later this weekend, but you won't be disappointed with the X1s HD performance. It REALLY looks good!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Flooper
I hooked up my X1 tonight to my Sony HD100 HD stb. It has a VGA out port, and I didn't have a long enough vga to vga cable, so I hooked two of them up together and ran it straight from the Sony HD100 to the X1. Set both the stb and the X1 to 16:9 and tuned to HDnet. The image was the right aspect ratio, not stretched or distorted in any way, but it was off center to the right, and much smaller than it should be. It did not extend the full screen width--only about 2/3 of the way on both sides.

Then, I connected the HD100 via component out to a vga-bnc breakout cable into the X1s vga input, and the picture was perfect--centered and the full screen width. Just like it should be.

What gives with going vga to vga from the Sony HD100. I tried all different combos of aspect ratios on both the stb and the X1, and they all messed up the AR of the picture. Any ideas.

BTW--if you're worried about getting the X1 because it may not have enough "rez" to do HD, not to worry. The picture was outstanding--very detailed and with a lot of depth on my 92 x 52 HCMW screen. I would say it was at least as good, if not better, than my Sony W400Q, which is an excellent pj for HD. I'll give you a full report in the next few days, but I can tell you HD looks very, very good on the X1.

Any ideas why it isn't mapping the picture right going vga to vga from the HD100 to the X1?
The X1 is detecting the signal from the HD100 as 1080i, however, the HD100 does not output 1080i with the correct timings. What I expect you will see is about 2% on one side and 6% on the other side of the image is black bars. The HD100 appears to use the same output stages as the RCA DTC100 which has the same problem. There is a workaround for the RCA (with newer firmware) that involves changing the timings in the menus, but I do not think there is a similar workaround for the Sony.

The Sony HD100 and RCA DTC100 are the only two set top boxes we know of that do not output correct 1080i, and we have tested most of the rest of them.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Bob,

You are correct. The DTC-100 got a firmware upgrade where you can choose short, long or RCA specific timings. The Sony never got one and probably never will.

The way I fixed this for a Sony box was to get a Key Digital transcoder. Output component into it, then use the centering tool on it (a little dial) to get the picture to fit just right. I didn't run into the image being small though...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks, Mike, for pointing out that HD PQ is good on X1. I am thinking of getting X1, and this was one of my concerns, given its SVGA resolution.

But, I was curious about your cabling. You mentioned that you went from the component output of HD100 to VGA input of X1 using a "breakout" cable. I thought you needed a component-to-VGA converter/transcoder, like the one from Key Digital that Cal describes above (there is also one from Audio Authority, I believe).

I wanted to hook up a progressive DVD player with component output to a computer monitor with only VGA input. Can I get away with a breakout cable, as opposed to a transcoder?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Bob Williams,

I have a DTC100. Can you tell me which setting of the timings is the "correct" one in case I have a X1 here?

Thanks,

Bob Smith

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks, Mike, for pointing out that HD PQ is good on X1. I am thinking of getting X1, and this was one of my concerns, given its SVGA resolution.

But, I was curious about your cabling. You mentioned that you went from the component output of HD100 to VGA input of X1 using a "breakout" cable. I thought you needed a component-to-VGA converter/transcoder, like the one from Key Digital that Cal describes above (there is also one from Audio Authority, I believe).

I wanted to hook up a progressive DVD player with component output to a computer monitor with only VGA input. Can I get away with a breakout cable, as opposed to a transcoder?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Vik,

The Sony has both component and VGA outputs. The X1 has both component and VGA inputs. Either one should theoretically work.

What I did was specifically choose component so I could use the transcoder to center the image. The transcoder is only in there for this purpose, though a byproduct is that it transcodes the signal to VGA :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vik,

You do not have to use a transcoder to use the VGA input on the X1 from component outputs (480p, 1080i) on your dvd player or stb. All you need is a breakout cable. You can get a straight vga to component breakout cable, or go with a vga to bnc to rca adapter to rca component. I went that way cause I was too impatient to wait for the vga to component cable to arrive, and I could get the vga to bnc breakout cable at Ultimate Electronics.

Namelemenz was talking about a transcoder only in the case of using a Sony HD100 and its vga output... (I think--did I get that right Namelemz)?that way he could control centering the image. Fortunately, the Sony HD100 also has component outputs, so I"m just going to go that route and forgo the transcoder route. The only reason I was hoping it would work with the HD100s vga port is so I could run one set of vga to vga connections to the X1, and one set of component to component from the HD100 to my RPTV. Guess I'll have to figure out a different route to be able to use the Sony HD100 for hidef on both the X1 and my RPTV....any suggestions?

Bob Williams,

Thanks for the great info. At least now I won't drive myself nuts trying to figure out what's wrong. I'll just stick with the component port on the HD100. And WOW--did you guys (and gals) develop one incredible little projector!

mike

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
Bob,

The way I fixed this for a Sony box was to get a Key Digital transcoder. Output component into it, then use the centering tool on it (a little dial) to get the picture to fit just right. I didn't run into the image being small though...
Hey Namlemez!

Great info. However, when I used the component out on the HD100 to the VGA in on the X1, I had a perfect picture. Centered correctly, filled out the entire width of the screen. The only problem I had was going VGA to VGA--the picture was smaller, and moved to the right. Guess I'll just stick with the component out on the HD100, but it would have been nice to use the VGA port.

mike

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith
I have a DTC100. Can you tell me which setting of the timings is the "correct" one in case I have a X1 here?
Here's what I got from our technical support people:

1. Press the Menu Button.

2. Select menu option number 7, Assistance.

3. Select menu option number 8, Monitor Setup.

4. Select menu option number 2, Retrace Timing.

5. Select option Short Retrace (EIA 770.3 Timing).

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I should have elaborated more in depth. I realize the component works fine. I believe that is because there never were any different standards for component video timings, while VGA has tons, being rather old.

The TV I hooked it up to only accepted RGBHV, so I had to change transcode it at some point. The other, more simple option was to run it through the Faroudja NRS, but then I wouldn't be able to adjust it.

So in the end, yes, it is a "hack" that uses a not-inexpensive piece of equipment to move the picture over a couple inches.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For what it's worth, I've had a similar experience with my Sony HD100 hooked up to a Pioneer 502MX Plasma. I tried to use a VGA cable straight from the Sony's VGA out to the Pioneer's VGA in, and the picture came out shift to the right by about 30%. Using component connections works fine (and is what I use now).

I gave up trying to figure this one out. The Sony appears to use a different VGA spec than the Pioneer panel, and neither device seems to have any options for changing to match the other. An Audio Authority box would no doubt solve the problem, but component works just fine, so I haven't investigated further.

Q

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have just received the HD-100 and have the same troubles but it also seems the picture is a bit blurry from this unit. I am using the HD-100 to the Screenplay 110. Bob would you know why the Screenplay 110 shows a watchable picture but it should be crisp not dull. Any help?

One other question, what is the difference from a VGA picture to a component? Is VGA better technically?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would also like to know if the X1's picture quality is improved going through the vga input. I've read posts in other threads about the improvement in color saturation etc when using the vga input and would like to know if anyone here has experienced this. It would be easier to make the connections if I could use both the component(s-vid) AND the vga inputs as long as the pq was comparable from each. Can anyone confirm this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.