AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an Infocus X1 and am getting it set up. I am running composite, S-video, and a VGA to Component breakout cable (35' from PC Cables). I have the VGA plugged into the computer input on the X1 and the RGB plugs (with the little attachments on them) connecting to my receiver. I didn't get a picture, so I plugged the breakout directly into my DVD player and then my Xbox and still did not reveive an image from either one.

This is really irritating - the S-video looks great - so I can't wait to see what the component looks like.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The VGA input from what I understand only accepts 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Are you sending one of those resolutions/modes to the X1?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure about the DVD player, I assumed since I'm using RGB output it would be 720p.

As for the Xbox, the only thing I know to do on there is go to the dashboard and set the video to widescreen format. Then I loaded up Halo and a few other games and still I only got the blue screen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi...

Just because you have component inputs on your DVD doesn't necessarily mean that it is a progressive scan player. If it is, you still may need to flip a switch or two (I have one on the back of my Pioneer DVD) to activate the progressive scan feature.

Similar situation with the x-box. You need to reset a setting in the dashboard to activate the progressive modes. The big problem with the xbox is that the dashboard is 480i and the menu options don't appear when you use the standard inputs (s or composite). There's a fairly simple workaround that has been posted in the 'games forum' that will give you instructions to get your xbox working. Just do a search for "xbox problems" or something like that.

good luck.... and enjoy!

John

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
With the XBOX you MUST have chosen in the dash board 480p and the other choices to see the GAMES. But you will not see the dash. You sould be able to see a black and white image by running JUST the green cable to the X1 composite if you need to set that up now.

Also your DVD player needs to be set somewhere to progressive if it even has that option. If it doesn't but still uses progressive type video cables, get the S video adapter and connect it that way.

Quote:
Just do a search for "xbox problems" or something like that.
Or read the excellent X1 FAQ that technut has.
http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oops, I just assumed that the DVD playe had progressive scan (its my roomates - I don't really pay attention to his stuff). So I guess I will be making a trip out to Circuit City today

As for the Xbox, I didn't realize that there were more options to set in the Xbox after selecting widescreen

thanks!

·
Registered
914 Posts
The s-video to component adapter from Infocus ($20) is a lot cheaper than running out and buying a prog-scan DVD player. It will give you the component input you're looking for (it doesn't covert to S-video, it's a special adapter with three extra pins to carry the component signal unaltered into the X1).

A big part of the value of the X1 with it's Faroudja DCDi onboard is that you really don't NEED a prog-scan DVD player if you don't already have one. You'd have to have a really good prog-scan DVD player before you could do much better than the X1's internal processing. Save your cash, unless you really want to own the prog-scan DVD player.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, but I don't really own a DVD player I have an Xbox when I moved in with my roomate I just decided to wait to get one. I have about 3 things in my home theater already using the S-video input on the X1, so I'd rather not deal with changing out the wires whenever I want to watch something in S-video.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.