AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--My time has come to finally as a question of the best bunch of AV/etc. experts on the net...--

I bought a 10' breakout cable (VGA/HD15 to component), hooked up the progressive DVD player (JVC XV-FA900BK) and nothing! Zilch!! I am running everything direct, except for an RCA connector between 2 male component ends; i.e. used to connect 2 component cables with male ends.

Thoughts and ideas are very welcome.

TIA,

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Are you sure you set your dvd player to output progressive?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Agreed, it is most likely that the DVD player is still doing Interlaced (480i), not Progressive (480p). Check your JVC manual, some players require that you select Progressive mode in TWO places. And don't leave anything connected to the S-video output of the player... some players won't do Progressive while there is a S-video connection.

On the X1 side just be sure the Computer input is selected.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'll be!!! I was doing everything right, even pushing the right button on the remote, but.... How was I supposed to know that I had to push the button and hold it down for a few seconds!?!? My old Tosh and others usually allowed to push a button and voila! I'll try it tonight and respond should it NOT work.

Anyway, next time I'll read the manual before operating the equipment... Yeah right!

Thanks all,

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a JVC and there is a switch on the back for 480i or 480p, make sure you set it to 480p

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I checked everything, Progressive light is on, even a different breakout cable and still no image via VGA/HD15 from my DVD player. Any more recommendations of things to do, look for, etc.?

TIA,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Might want to check the firmware on your x1 - Version 4.1 is supposed to ensure greater compatiblity with progressive dvd players.

(Also increases lamp hours to 4000) :D

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Possibly a long shot, but make sure that your component cables are properly attached to both the DVD player and the Projector. Also make sure that the Blue one is where the Blue one belongs, the Red one where the red one belongs and the Green one where the Green one belongs etc.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Plug just the (Y) signal in and see what happens. You should get a black and white picture, as that's the basic luminance (monochrome) signal. The other two are the color-difference signals. If you don't get a mono picture, something's not set or connected correctly somewhere. :)

The luminance signal is the only one of the three that will produce any picture by itself.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the additional ideas Guys! Unfortunately, those do not work either! All I'm doing is connecting the component cable to the DVD player on one end and the other end using the component to S-VHS adapter, then I shut down the PJ, change adapters without unplugging from the DVD player and make sure "computer" is chosen and still nothing... The next thing I'll do is connect my laptop to it to make sure the VGA/HD15 input works...

Later,

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
One way to confirm that your DVD player is actually changing to Progressive output would be to leave it connected to the component-to-svideo adapter while you switch the player to Progressive mode. You should either lose the picture or get a distorted (perhaps doubled) picture. If nothing changes, then the DVD player is still doing Interlaced.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike,

I tried what you suggested and the DVD player did change modes as expected. I even hooked up my laptop to the VGA port and nothing!!!

Would the problem go away if I upgrade from 3.6 to 3.8 or even 4.1?

This thing is killing me!!!

TIA,

·
Registered
238 Posts
Try unplugging everything from the player except the three component outputs. My JVC won't put out a complete component signal with the s-video cable plugged in too .. even if the s-video cable isn't connected to anything on the other end. No kidding.

I had the s-video cable plugged in, and the component, too. The s-video wasn't connected to the X1 or anything else. The three components were going thru the Infocus component/s-video adapter, into the X1. Well, I was getting NO 'blue' signal .. only Y and R, which produces a black and white picture with a red cast to it. I tried plugging and unplugging everything every way possible and, finally, I thought of unplugging the s-video cable .. bingo ... full color! Note that this is interlaced, not progressive, as I prefer it to progressive. It seems 'smoother' to me and not much, if at all, less sharp.

Anyway, this is really stupid design, IMHO. I like all the fine picture adjustments with the JVC player, but they've apparently cheapened the video driver circuitry to where it's marginal, at best.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Roy Cya
Mike,

I tried what you suggested and the DVD player did change modes as expected. I even hooked up my laptop to the VGA port and nothing!!!

Would the problem go away if I upgrade from 3.6 to 3.8 or even 4.1?

This thing is killing me!!!

TIA,
Your report that you get nothing even with your laptop connected to the VGA port worries me. Did you toggle the laptop VGA port on? Most laptops have some keyboard combination you have to use to enable the VGA out port. Check your laptop manual if you aren't aware of it.

And as always... make sure you select the Computer input on the X1 keypad.

I have my doubts that upgrading the firmware will take you from no signal to a working signal... I kinda think if it was going to work at all you'd be getting something even on 3.6 software. But there is certainly no harm in trying... maybe the sync problem they addressed applies to your situation?

·
Banned
539 Posts
Since you've tried multiple cables, it is either the projector or the DVD player.

Can you try a different DVD player?

Try plugging your regular or notebook computer into the X1. Your desktop computer might be easier, because your computer will detect and use the projector just like any other monitor. With your notebook, you will need to do a key combination to turn on the external monitor function. You should be able to get the computer to work with your X1. If it doesn't work, chances are the X1 is messed up. If this does work, you need to try a different progressive scan DVD player.

I doubt firmware would have anything to do with this problem. I always hate it when people with serious hardware problems, like faulty memory, think a BIOS update will help their problems. There is nothing worse for your computer than trying to update your BIOS (firmware) when there is something physically wrong with your hardware.

·
Banned
539 Posts
You said in your original post your are running "straight" cables and then you said you were using an RCA coupler, which means you aren't running straight cables. I think the cables are still a possibility.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.