AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4x3 hdtv. My hd-time warner box gives me Hbo-HDTV in a 2:35.1 format? wILL the xbox do this also..

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I doubt you get HD HBO in 2.35. A few of their movies are in that format but mostly it is 16:9 (which by the way is not 1.85:1) Xbox will offer some games in 16:9 but the rest will be 4:3

None will be 2.35 or 1.85

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
((EDITED))

Dunno why you bought a 4:3 DTV. [I still firmly believe that if it's not 16:9, they should not be allowed to market it as HDTV, but only DTV that can display 1080i. Let them sort out with customers why they should buy a TV that's the wrong shape.]

Anyway, some X-Box games will support widescreen 16:9 or 1.78:1. [Apologies for the mixup.]

And most of the HD movies on HBO are butchered down to 16:9. A few of the HBO HD movies from their first year are in their Original Aspect Ratios, which range from 1.85:1 to 2.35:1 depending on what the director wanted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't believe your comment on 4x3 DTV obsolescence is relevant to the topic.

In any event, there is still plenty of 4x3 content that is best viewed on a 4x3 set and there will continue to be 4x3 content until the conversion to DTV is complete (sometime in 2006?).

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I think it is relevant. Yeah there is lots of 4:3 content but it is all SD so why bother buying and HDTV to watch mostly SD stuff? It's better to pic one side of the fence rather then trying to sit on it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
this is not really relevant either, but feldon23 stated that 16:9 = 1.667:1, which is incorrect. 16:9 = 1.78:1.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
misinformation like this tells me that HDTVs are making thier ways into the hands or more and more of the common folks who let other people worry about the details. bittersweet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Adebar, I notice from your profile that you are a special member. Well that designation may have gone to your head. I hate to tell you this but with billions of people on this planet, you probably aren't that very special, and you probably fit into that common folks group. Hope that humbles you just a bit.

P.S. If special members have the ability to kick people of this board, you guys might not be hearing from me again.:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hehehe...bittersweet indeed!

Occasionally one reads posts from "experts" bemoaning the passing of the "good old days" when technology was only in the hands of those trained in the underlying discipline from which it was born.

Fortunately for all of us, these feelings are generally rare, and certainly misplaced.

There's tons of research on the product innovation cycle and a quick summary of categorizations can be found here: http://www.zonalatina.com/Zldata99.htm.

Those of us who populate this board include both the 'Innovators' and 'Early Adopters' of this technology. Innovators should be celebrating the participation (dumb questions and all) of new participants as it indicates the movement of HDTV technology into the mainstream.

Frankly the challenge of all "old-timers" on this board is to continue to better organize the information and continue to share it with those with new spheres of influence. It's not "rehashing old topics", it's really about educating the next group of recruits to spread the message of HDTV.

This buying base will allow all of us to leverage and influence consumers providers of hardware and content in ways long considered 'overdue'.

- Keith (uncommonly common, but still an Early Adopter)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Andrew,

If the "common people," as you so impolitely refer to them, hadn't started getting HDTV's, then we would have spent the rest of our lives watching demo loops all day. HD needs to be mainstream, not a novelty.

By the way, good grief--I've only read three threads tonight and you've pissed somebody off in each one of them. Have some fiber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.