AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it appears I will not be able to view a projector before I buy it, I kindly ask for the wisdom of the members of this AVS forum for help.

I have a total Budget of $1,600.

Here is my setup.

80x60 Parkland screen

Non Progressive Toshiba DVD (no budget to upgrade to progressive)

TimeWarner Digital Cable (They have about 7 HD channels and I plan on contacting them tomorrow about that service)

RCA S-VHS VCR

I expect to watch about 70% TV (regular and HD), 25% DVD, and 5% VHS.

Maybe a Nintendo GameCube as well.

Alright you experts, I eagerly await you to make my decision.

Thanks!!

patrick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Patrick,

I was in the same decision battle for couple weeks, but it came out X1 is my winner. Since you are 75% watching 4:3 material (VHS+TV), I'll say X1 is a better one for you. Although Z1 has higher resolution in 16:9, but not by much. The DLP chip has a better image coverage, so I assume the PQ should be surpass Z1 (I was not able to view them before making a decision). The luminance are about the same for x1 and z1 in video mode. Contrast ratio is important for me. The only risk to take for x1 is only the rainbow. Anyway, I put my bet on x1.

Quote:
Originally posted by patrick21
Since it appears I will not be able to view a projector before I buy it, I kindly ask for the wisdom of the members of this AVS forum for help.

I have a total Budget of $1,600.

Here is my setup.

80x60 Parkland screen

Non Progressive Toshiba DVD (no budget to upgrade to progressive)

TimeWarner Digital Cable (They have about 7 HD channels and I plan on contacting them tomorrow about that service)

RCA S-VHS VCR

I expect to watch about 70% TV (regular and HD), 25% DVD, and 5% VHS.

Maybe a Nintendo GameCube as well.

Alright you experts, I eagerly await you to make my decision.

Thanks!!

patrick

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks tu-dole and rlindo for the responses. I appreciate them.

tu-dole, have you received your X! yet?

rlindo, what projector do you have/will get?

patrick

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
patrick,

I currently am using the AE100 but I have ordered the Sanyo Z1 and it should be arriving today.

Can't wait!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Patrick,

Just got my X1

Have almost the same sources as you (non-progressive DVD, TV), looks great with this machine, must be the built-inFaroudja processor.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am very pleased with my X1. Much less screen door than ae100.

Much easier to use out of the box as well. Looking at widescreen dvd's the picture is better than my ae100. No verticle banding!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I ordered my X1 5 minutes ago.

Nornal, glad to hear you are watching on your X1 what I will be watching Friday. What size is your screen and how far away do you sit? What about TV? Regular cable, Digital Cable or Sat?

anthonyc, what is your screen size and how far back do you sit? I am going to search for your posts on the X1. I may have some additional questions after I read them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I know about the Z1. Who makes the X1?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scottwood2, Infocus makes the X1. Since I do not have a progressive scan DVD player, and plan to watch High Def and non-High Def TV, then it appears the X1 will be better than the Z1.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
just tried out my Sanyo Z1. DAMN. Awesome. As good as I felt the AE100 was, this thing kills it in contrast and shadow detail. "blacks" are blacker, colours seem mroe rich and the image is more 3D. awesome.

oh and the screendoor seems waaaaaaay less despite this pj not being that much higher in res. Weird.

Awesome projector.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Is it really wise to buy a DLP blind without knowing how susceptible you are to rainbows and fatigue? Unless, of course, you just mean you can't see these particular projectors in person and already know rainbows aren't a problem for you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
No it really is not. Yes the ae100 was pretty quiet but the x1 really is just a hair louder. The fan is in the front of the projector blowing towards the screen. If ceiling mounted, the fan noise would be directed up. Unless you're within 2 feet of the unit you many not even know it's on.

One note though. When powering the unit off via the remote after the bulb cools the fan goes into a very slow mode but does not shut off. It seems that it only shuts off if the switch on the projector is manually switched off. I'll test again tonight and make sure but this is what I noticed the other morning in my office. I don't like the idea of the fan running all the time even if it is barely spinning. Dust will accumulate rather quickly even though the projector is off with the fan running.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by patrick21
Thanks for the input. I ordered my X1 5 minutes ago.

Nornal, glad to hear you are watching on your X1 what I will be watching Friday. What size is your screen and how far away do you sit? What about TV? Regular cable, Digital Cable or Sat?
Hi,

1. I have not fixed anything yet, have not measured exactly but:

Projector is still on tabletop around 18 ft (approx) to wall (no screen yet),

With controlled lighting (but not totally dark), I can get 8-9 feet across. You can based seating on that.

2. TV is from ATT Digital Cable thru an composite RCA cable.

3. Once we get comfortable with what we want then we will fixed screen size/type and seating arrangements. Right now, it just the "bigger the better".

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have received my X1 and started my review thread.

Tiersias, I meant I will not be able to see either the Z1 or X1 prior to buying. I had no idea if rainbows would be a problem to me.

The place where I bought my X1 said I can send it back and receive a full refund if is within 7 days from the day I got it and the lamp has less than 10 hours on it. After that, I will have to pay a 15% restocking fee to send it back. As I said in my review, I have not seen a rainbow. Don't really expect to but if I do, then she goes back and I get the Z1.

normal, have you changed any settings yet? If so, could you please let me know.

thanks!

patrick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.