AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be buying a PS3 due to the price drop. With that said I was wondering if I could watch Hulu.com, Justin.TV, Or ATDHE.net with the Browser?? I have a laptop that I browse so it's not my main computer. With that said, I don't have cable tv and would like the PS3 to play some programs with me. Any help to make this possible will be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,961 Posts
I also don't have cable, but I get tons of TV content on my PS3. Rather than using the PS3's clunky and memory-clogged browser, use a media server with a home PC/laptop. There are quite a few to choose from. TVersity is probably the most common.


Some--like TVersity--are free, but the catch is that if you want things like Hulu, you'll probably have to pay a one-time fee. I use the free version of TVersity for the bulk of my media, and PlayOn (cost me $20) for site-specific video content (Hulu, Gametrailers, AdultSwim, etc).


Try a forum search for "TVersity" or "PlayOn" or "media server" and you'll turn up some helpful threads.


EDIT: Doh! I forgot we had a sticky thread for exactly this issue:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1149527
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/17050016


I also don't have cable, but I get tons of TV content on my PS3. Rather than using the PS3's clunky and memory-clogged browser, use a media server with a home PC/laptop. There are quite a few to choose from. TVersity is probably the most common.


Some--like TVersity--are free, but the catch is that if you want things like Hulu, you'll probably have to pay a one-time fee. I use the free version of TVersity for the bulk of my media, and PlayOn (cost me $20) for site-specific video content (Hulu, Gametrailers, AdultSwim, etc).


Try a forum search for "TVersity" or "PlayOn" or "media server" and you'll turn up some helpful threads.


EDIT: Doh! I forgot we had a sticky thread for exactly this issue:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1149527

R these things hard to install and configure?? I know I could DL to my Laptop but how do I get it to my Ps3 or get my Ps3 to pick it up that is??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPFla /forum/post/17050081


R these things hard to install and configure?? I know I could DL to my Laptop but how do I get it to my Ps3 or get my Ps3 to pick it up that is??

As with all things computer-related, it depends.



But for most people, it's really easy and takes nothing more than installing it on your computer and activating the media streaming function. TVersity is free, so it's worth a try. And if you're looking for streaming website video content, PlayOn does a free two week trial. No harm no foul, right?


Your PS3 is usually not the issue. It's really good at finding media servers automatically (there's also a search feature in the XMB, but I've never needed it). If your PS3 is already working fine with your home network, there shouldn't be any problems. Give it a shot and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
I too don't have cables. I download all my shows and then watch them on my PS3 by taking the file and dumping it on the PS3s hdd or just using a flash drive/external hdd. Easy peasy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
I recently started using TVersity and I've been absolutely loving it. It's possible it will require a little bit of a setup but not much. I had to download a codec pack (I use CCCP because it's got basically every codec you'll ever need and I have video in a lot of different formats). You'll have to open a port on your router as well but that's nothing. The tricky part is configuring transcoding (necessary if you have lots of media that your PS3 can't decode like me) so it doesn't destroy the quality of your video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch /forum/post/17051755


I recently started using TVersity and I've been absolutely loving it. It's possible it will require a little bit of a setup but not much. I had to download a codec pack (I use CCCP because it's got basically every codec you'll ever need and I have video in a lot of different formats). You'll have to open a port on your router as well but that's nothing. The tricky part is configuring transcoding (necessary if you have lots of media that your PS3 can't decode like me) so it doesn't destroy the quality of your video.

What kind of programs are you watch Pvt?? This sounds like the ticket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPFla /forum/post/17052086


What kind of programs are you watch Pvt?? This sounds like the ticket

I've got of lot of movies in MPEG-2 and H.264 that I watch. Also since I don't get cable I've taken to torrenting a lot of shows I can't watch online and shows that aren't on the air anymore. Recently I've gotten caught up with Weeds, just burned through all 51 episodes of Full Metal Alchemist, and True Blood's become kind of a guilty pleasure. You won't really have to worry about codecs if you rip all your media yourself since you'll probably keep everything in one or two file types. If you get any of your media through more "unconventional" channels then it helps to have a good codec pack because people like to encode their media in really obscure formats sometimes.


I can't really recommend PlayOn over TVersity or vice versa for streaming internet content to your PS3 though as it depends largely on what you'll be viewing. Your best bet is to go to both programs websites and research what sites they support streaming from and make your decision based on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratnose86 /forum/post/17064233


Is any of this "downloading" or "torrenting" legal?

No not really. You don't have to put them in quotes either just so you know. If you'd like to have a civil discussion on the matter, as it appears you disapprove, I'd love to. If you want to yell from the hillside "O noes ur a pirate!!!11! Ur creatin the downfall of the medias" then I won't bother. It's not a black and white issue as some like to believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratnose86 /forum/post/17064233


Is any of this "downloading" or "torrenting" legal?

I don't think so because major programs like Norton's Antivirus and even Windows updates do their stuff using background torrenting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratnose86 /forum/post/17064233


Is any of this "downloading" or "torrenting" legal?

Not the stuff you're referring to. The technology itself is legal and has many perfectly legal applications. But the sites that catalog the various copyrighted torrents lie just on the other side of legality. Case in point, the biggest torrent tracking site, The Pirate Bay, just got smacked down with a major lawsuit recently (similar to the infamous Napster suit way back when). Supposedly the site's going to be turned into a subscription service down the road (again, similar to Napster back in the day).


And obviously downloading torrents of copyrighted material (movies, tv shows, software, etc) is all very clearly illegal--and incredibly easy.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top