AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a trip to find my house had received a major lightning strike. Almost everything connected to my APC S15 and my network ups had been fried. Brand new projector, receiver, router, printer, etc. all dead.

There was other damage not apc related like the garage door opener: fubar as well as the amp on my subwoofer, and brand new xbox.

I've started the claim with APC but I don't know how well this will go. Am I just out my entire HT?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considered, but 4-5k total damage on a hi claim? My basement (theater) flooded once, so yes I did then, but the next year I was dropped.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
5K is certainly worthy of a claim. As far as APC, I'd check with them. I thought a lot of those units had a warranty for anything plugged into them, although it might just be for smaller surges.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Power company said it was a tree falling on a high voltage substation. I'm thinking APC is going to back out on this one.

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
If you make the HI claim just be prepared to get dropped or have your rates go up. I would try the APC claim first and then decide if the HI claim is worth the hassle if you go that route. Sad that insurance companies drop folks now for any and everything. I read a big article on Money Magazine about this practice a few years back and it was eye opening. I have never made an HI claim, and would be reluctant to for anything under $10K or so.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
what does hi claim stand for

thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
I got dropped from my HI for two claims over a three year period, and my premium with the new "High Risk" company was over 4 times what I had paid before. I had to pay that higher amount for 3 years since nobody would insure me at lower rates. This meant that the amount I had gotten on the claims was less than the differences in the premium when it all was calculated at the end. But because of the number of claims, that triggered the "high risk" category. The claims I got were for less than 10% of the total value of my house. But they were much higher than the deductible.

I am a great credit risk, make good money. It is just that insurance companies are pieces of excrement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.