Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My company will be moving to new office space within the next couple of months. We are currently working with an architect to make modifications to the space to fit our needs. Knowing that I'm an HT nut, this morning my boss asked for help in selecting an overhead project and screen. Unfortunately, this is stuff I'm unfamiliar with so I'm looking for your help.

The use will be primarily for Powerpoint presentations but they also want HT capabilities as well (DVD, VCR, CATV). For computer uses they anticipate the primary resolution being 1280x1024. Would there be a large jump in going to a unit that can do 1600x1200? What are some good, reasonably priced units that can accommodate our needs ($3-3.5k)? Going to $4k might be possible but would really be pushing the budget limits. Are there any units in this range that are widescreen or would we be looking at letterboxing? Am I even asking the right questions?

TIA for any advice you can give an FP novice.

Alex

[Edit]P.S. Oh yeah...if possible, they'd like something in the range of 1500 lumens.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Something like a NEC LT240K/LT260K should work nicely. It's native resolution is 1024x768 with max support of 1600x1200. Native 1280x1024 would be quite a bit out of your budget. With your mainly PC requirement I'd go for a native 4:3 pj over a wide screen unit.

A good place to start your research is http://www.projectorcentral.com

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zeroendless
... after $200 debate...
Yeah, and man have we had some $200 debates here in this forum. :p

Sorry, couldn't resist.

JayW

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion guys, it looks to be an excellent unit. I was initially thinking 16:9 aspect ratio but then I'd like to turn it into an HT.:D I don't think my boss would appreciate that as much so I'm definitely leaning toward 4:3. My next question may seem really stupid, how the heck do I hook up a DVD player? Here is a link to NEC's page, toward the bottom it shows the connection panel. What would I need to connect the 3 component video cables from a DVD player to this thing? I assume I'd connect the computer to RGB IN1, is there some sort of special cable or adapter that converts component to RGB and I hook it to RGB IN2?

·
Registered
505 Posts
One way is to use the computer to play DVDs. Will there be a dedicated computer in the room?

JayW

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They were considering a dedicated computer but opted to go the laptop route.

I think I used the wrong terminology. In reading information on Projector Central, the cable I'm looking for does exist. I'm just not familiar with it as I'm not familiar with projectors.

I spoke with Da-Lite and they said to go with just the plain white matte screen and a 240K projector, saying the 260K would be too bright for the screen size (100"). Do you agree with this or would you still recommend the high gain screen? I noticed that Projector Central recommended the Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen. Did the guy from Da-Lite give me bad advice? I looked at the acoustically transparent screen but with having to go with a tensioned screen that rapidly went beyond our budget.

Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Quote:
What would I need to connect the 3 component video cables from a DVD player to this thing?
I use a BNC to RGB cable. I just bought RCA adapters for the Red, Green and Blue BNC cables. Only cost me about $60.00 CDN for a 25' double shielded cable.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
IN A CONFERENCE ROOM, MATTE WHITE IS THE (I applogise for caps lock) way to go. This is going to be a permanent install? I have a Panasonic LC76, and think the LC80 could be a great business projector around 2k. The 80 is quite small and portable.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, this is going to be a permanent install. We do have another smaller projector that we haul around with us for outside presentations.

Thanks again for all your help.

Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.