AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, bees. Lots of them in a hive in a vent on the roof of his house and when he bumped into it, those f***ers launched! It was a miracle he got outta there without a stinger somewhere on his body. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

Anyway, we spent pretty much all day installing the system. Wiring was the hardest part. Homes that are built now are pre-wired, but this one was built in the 70's, so some holes were made to help us. I am sure mom will approve :bg:

My only concern is the system being grounded. My dad put the cables into the attic, into the ground pieces against the attack wall and then ran the ground wire through the wall, down the side of the house. Is it OK to do this? The directions stated to do this outside, but there was no place for him to screw the ground bracket down outside.

The system was bought from Dishdepot.com just hours before they raised their prices by over a $100. He got the 6000 receiver, the two dishes, plus a second standard receiver for the bedroom for $450.00.

His TV is an old 27" Zenith and has geometry problems from a surge years ago, but I was still amazed at how crystal clear and grain free the picture was, once the channels came on. It also looks grand in his bedroom on the 20". My mother is all excited about the Home Garden Channel and my dad is going nuts because he can finally watch both the History Channel and Bill O'Reilly.

I am curious as to what DISH would look like at my place on my 47" Panasonic HDTV and am going to try and make my landlord commit to allowing me to get this system (professionally installed, of course). Since my girlfriend lives in Stamford CT, which qualifies for the NYC Networks and CBS-HD, I will, of course, be using that as my physical address and my home as my billing. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif ) You gotta do what you gotta do. I, for one, want SURVIVOR in the upconverted HDTV!

also posted in HTF

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
hi matt i was looking at the dishdepot web site and i think i figured out which one you bought but it looks like you have to by a dish programming contract. is this true or can you buy the system without the programming?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rules have changed since then, but at the time, if you bought the system for that price, you had to subscribe for a year and could do the $9 a month thing, which is what my father did as a brand new subscriber.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
38 Posts
The rules have not necessarily changed. Many sites on the internet sale the Dish system for the same price and indicate that it must be installed by a "satellite installer." That, of course, can mean yourself. In any event, Dish does not ask who installed it when you call to activate. I purchased my system after the installation requirement went into effect (last week), paid the old price, installed it myself and activated it without any problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Actually, they were probably wasps. Wasps don't have stingers, they just bite, HARD. I experienced a similiar situation when I was weather-proofing some of my grandmother's roof.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Banned
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens:
My dad actually didn't get bit, which was amazing, because the *******s were all around him. He froze and they let him be.

I'm allergic, so if I got stung, it would have been bad. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

Years ago when I did installs, customers often asked me: Why do you have a can of spray and a flashlight in your tool belt.

A good experienced installer knows to check out those hard to see places, roof vents, cable and phone boxes etc before getting comfortable around them ( try opening up an exterior phone or cable box in the middle of July without checking first ), although I was a bit surprised the time a customers wife greeted me in the bedroom wearing only a smile .... that installation took a quite a bit longer than usual....... <G>

Frapp -

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I called DN for my dad, they DID ask who installed it after I asked for the Rnine promo. I just said Dishdepot and he said OK.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm not sure what wasps you had bite you... but all the wasps around here do have stingers. What's worse is unlike Bees who's stingers break off into whatever they sting, wasps stingers do not so they can sting multiple times.

Patrick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.