AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will getting better wires help with Audio from HD DVDs currently I have Z-5500s with the stock wires, Would i get better sound if i upgraded the wiring,

ps getting an onkyo 705 reciever for trueHD so would that help for that aswell (until i buy nicer speakers)?

pps Wiring is all under 50 ft

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
The "wiring" and cables are the last on the chain the effects sound. Speakers-Processor/receiver-Amps and source component.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You can go into the receiver menu and increase the gain on each channel as well, giving more input to the power amp section. I did this on my 605, and where I used to have the master volume on 70, I get the same amount now at the 50-55 setting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Surfer /forum/post/12853108

You can go into the receiver menu and increase the gain on each channel as well, giving more input to the power amp section. I did this on my 605, and it where I used to have the master volume on 70, I get the same amount now at the 50-55 setting.

don't quite have the 705 yet.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you have a good line on the 705, I'd say go ahead and get it. But I'd start saving money to upgrade your speakers. A new AVR will only go so far. In order to hear True HD, and other HD audio, you'll want new speakers also.

My 2 Cents

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have the Logitech Z-680s, which are Z-5500's older and bigger brother, and I can tell you that once you're ready to move up, move the Z-5500's to the den or whatever and build an entirely new setup from scratch. Don't bother with upgrading the speaker wires above the included 18-gauge wiring, it's just not worth it, you won't hear any difference. The Z-680s and Z-5500s are great multimedia computer speakers and I love my Z-680s to death, but a centerpiece for a full-blown home theater, they are not.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so upgrade the speakers for the Logitech 5500 reciever, or upgrade the Reciever for the 5500 speakers, what would get better results first? both are temp solutions, I will get both a new Reciever and new speakers but not at the same time.

Another question about wire gauge would it hurt my speakers if i went to say 12 or 10 gauge?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It won't hurt, but it won't help.

If you use the Z-5500 sats with a real receiver, if you turn the volume up too much you risk blowing them out. They are not designed for a high power source.

If you use the Z-5500 amp with real speakers, it might work ok, but the amp is half of the sound so I don't know how much improvement you would hear. If the speakers are big enough I doubt the Z-5500 amp will be able to drive them to acceptable volumes without distortion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Total FTC power: 505 watts RMS

Sub-woofer: 188 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 100Hz, @ 10% THD)

Satellites:

Left/Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1khz, @ 10% THD)

Center: 69 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)

Rear Left & Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)

Total Peak power: 1010 watts

Maximum SPL: >115 dB

Frequency response: 33 Hz — 20 kHz

Amplifier: Ultra-linear, high-capacity analog

Signal to noise ratio: >93.5 dB, typical 100

the onkyo is 100 watts per channel and my current are 62 L,R,SL,SR and 69 Centre. is this too much of a difference?

·
UHD Addict
38,232 Posts

10% THD?!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is .1 THD better? I just got a system genesis g 6030 for almost free thats .1 THD with 200 watts per sat. will that be better for the Onkyo reciever?

just checked the new speakers out, they are bad apparently. a scam or something.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
You can go into the receiver menu and increase the gain on each channel as well, giving more input to the power amp section. I did this on my 605, and where I used to have the master volume on 70, I get the same amount now at the 50-55 setting.

How do you do this? what is the benefit? I mean, do you lose or gain dynamics?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts