AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Acurus Act-3 preamp with a 5v DC trigger output. I want to use that output to trigger the power on my amps which require a 9-12v signal. Are there any sort of voltage steppers I can use to make this work?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclou
I have an Acurus Act-3 preamp with a 5v DC trigger output. I want to use that output to trigger the power on my amps which require a 9-12v signal. Are there any sort of voltage steppers I can use to make this work?

Thanks
Just buy a 12 volt 500mA Power Adaptor from Radio Shack and plug it into your outlet on the back of the Preamp marked "Switched." Then plug the other end into your Amps 12volt Trigger. When you turn on the preamp it will energize the trigger on your amp and turn on. The Power Adaptor and gender plug will run you $8 to 12 bucks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately my preamp has no switched outlets on the back. I am forced to rig some kind of 5v to 12v voltage stepper.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Got the unit and wired it with a mono 1/8" jack and a 12v powersupply. Works perfectly!!!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I don't see any specs on web site. Is there something with the TR-4 packaging that says what the allowable input voltage range is?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You may want to check the specs on your 12V trigger. On my Rotel RMB-1075, the 12V trigger responds to 3-18V...even though it is called a "12V" trigger.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I threw away the packaging. IIRC it said it would work with as little as 1.5v. It is sold on other websites which detail more specs as well.

The input trigger I am using is for my Monster HTS 3500. It takes 9-12v to trigger the switched outlets. My Acurus amps have no trigger input.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I want to use it to drive a 12VDC fan when the receiver is on. Receiver trigger outputs don't support much amperage, and the TR-4 supposedly handles 2A. Will it take a 12V input?

How does it supply 12VDC? Does it wire into a 120VAC supply?

Amazingly little info on the web site.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You mean you have to supply your own? So this thing is simply a low-voltage SSR? I think I can do better than that for $13 + shipping. I'll have a look around.

Hmmm. I wonder if these $7 25A SSRs will do 12VDC? :p

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
You could use an optoisolator available for about $0.65.

SSR's typically have triac or dual, inverse parallel SCR's as the output device. These cannot be used to switch DC (actually they can switch it on, but can't turn it off).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.