AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This box looks like a dream come true, and the only viable option to a SB Audigy box. Does anyone here use this for a HTPC, outputting DD and DTS to an external receiver with the optical output?

Does it only work with PowerDVD, or can I still use my beloved Sonic Cineplayer?

· Registered
137 Posts
It'll work with any of the software dvd player. Though, I got extremely bad shuttering with Cineplayer demo, so I'm just sticking with PowerDVD. Seems to work well for me. Also, if your using XP, DO NOT INSTALL THE INCLUDED DRIVERS THAT COME WITH THE GTXP!!!! The new ones on the Hurcule site work with XP just fine, but it'll screw up your HTPC a bit if you use the ones that are on the CD. Believe me, I know.

Honestly, I'd avoid it. If I were you, I just get the Revolution card. There's not much price difference, and from specs and reviews, seems a hell of a lot better.

Hope that helps.

KS

· Registered
7 Posts
I have a 5.1 GTXP on my gaming machine, and I think it's great. The Crystal chipset is top notch, and the breakout box is colossal. The included drivers are incredibly biased towards PowerDVD, so you better like that program if you're playing dvds on it. I haven't used the outputs, yet, so you should ask around some more.

I noticed that the new 7.1 gtxp has an older 96bit DAC, so I'd avoid that. Looks like they cut a few corners on that version.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
I used to own this card last year, it was one of the best cards I've ever owned and I think it would work pretty well for a HTPC. I would maybe consider a Fortisimo card as an alterantive.

· Registered
2,551 Posts
Wow, I've the 5.1 version for a year now and hadn't even noticed it had the optical outs since I don't use them. I'm glad to see this should work for my HTPC, and when I use it which will hopefully be soon I'll let you know how it works.

I really hope it passes through DD and DTS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.