AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
reviews are pretty bad...the supernatural element seems forced and unnecessary...this is no Six Feet Under or even True Blood

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far I've seen a lukewarm review from Tim Goodman. He says in the first 4 episodes that he previewed, it wasn't clear which way the show was going.

I'm hoping it's not an outright supernatural genre show like True Blood, which at the beginning was brilliant in comparing the rights of vampires to the social acceptance of gays in the South, before it became too literal about vampire mythology, rather than use vampires more allegorically.

In The NY Times interview, Ball says he couldn't sell a couple of other pilots to HBO or some movie ideas. But he learned that they wanted a family drama so he came up with one, with his co-creators. Doesn't sound like the same people he worked with on the previous HBO shows or Banshee, which I've never seen.

Supernatural may be a gimmick like Lost or Leftovers.

I'm willing to give it a chance because if actors like Robbins and Hunter. Ball also alluded to the ideals of Portland, which would attract the Robbins and Ball characters. Could be a satire of progressive types. But Ball noted that Portland is mostly white and despite its image has always had racial problems in its past.

That seems a lot of material for satire and social commentary so maybe they won't force the supernatural element so much. If they have flying and melting vampires, then all bets are off.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I'm hoping it's not an outright supernatural genre show like True Blood, which at the beginning was brilliant in comparing the rights of vampires to the social acceptance of gays in the South, before it became too literal about vampire mythology, rather than use vampires more allegorically.

..f.

I want the exact opposite. I have seen enough shows with social commentary. I really don't need yet another one. What I want in a series is to be entertained. If that series provides social commentary as well, fine. But I am not looking for shows that are trying hard ("to be relevant" is the catchphrase nowadays). I simply want an interesting plot with good acting and a well thought-out story. I have no idea if this show will be that or not, but I am not gonna watch it just because it might be "relevant" :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
We watched about 15 minutes and dumped it. Maybe it takes a while to warm up to the character detail but the rhythm of the banter just made start to sleep.

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
I found the second episode boring and spent most of the show on my tablet catching up on news. Can't say I really care about any of the whiny self absorbed characters .One more and odds are done for me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We watched about 15 minutes and dumped it. Maybe it takes a while to warm up to the character detail but the rhythm of the banter just made start to sleep.
We bailed out at 6 minutes. This thing resembles a home movie made by sub teens who think it is cool to record and play back profanity. It takes vulgarity and diversity to new lows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts