AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cousin's Video has posted the details of the upcoming software upgrade for the Panasonic TUHDS20 STBs here . I have copied their text below for convenience. Please note that this information is taken straight from Cousin's Video:

It currently looks like DIRECTV will be able to start the download of version 7.4 starting June 16th (Sat). The software download is scheduled to be broadcasted at 4:00am PT every day (7 days a week) for a period of 6 months.

The following will occur once the download start date has been confirmed:

a) At around 4:00am PT, if a consumer is watching TV, a dialog box will appear (shown below). If the STB is turned off, then simply the download will occur (as long as the STB is connected to active power), and the consumer will not be aware of what is/has occurred.

===========================

Software Upgrade In Progress

---------------------------

Your system is about to receive a free

software upgrade. Your system will

be unavailable for a few minutes

while it receives the upgrade.

[OK]

If the consumer does not select Ok, or is simply not watching TV, the message will timeout in 2 minutes and the download will begin. This is a mandatory download, and the consumer will have no choice to "opt" out.

IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that the unit not be unplugged before, during, and after the download is complete. At no time should the unit be unplugged or rebooted before and during these downloads.

Once the consumer selects ok, or simply the message timeouts, the following message will then appear:

Software Upgrade In Progress

------------------------

Downloading a software upgrade,

DO NOT uplug your receiver at this time. Please Wait...

The download is estimated to not take longer than 15 minutes.

Once the unit has successfully completed the download, the unit will simply tune to the last channel tuned. The consumer can verify the new software version by pressing 'Menu', selecting 'Options', scroll to 'About' and left arrow. The version listed should be version > 7.4.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Sims:
Is there a way to get the upgrade if you don't have the DirectTV service? Like from Panasonic?
I'd also like to know this. I can't get DirecTV, and don't have any friends who have it either. But I very much want my TU-HDS20 updated.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
>>Isn't anyone else excited about this?

Ummm . . . can I get back to you on that Sunday?

If it really fixes the problems, I will be VERY excited.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Where for art thou, O software update?

Waited from 7AM EDT until 7:30AM and no dice. It seems as with everything else about these STBs, they're late again.

Aaargh!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
does anyone know which bird they come down from? trees grew over my high def line of sight but i am still online with the 101 sat.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Quote:
My box says it will upgrade tonight at 00:15 PST. Cool!!
Ditto

------------------

Greg

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've got the scheduled upgrade at 00:15 too. Hope it does more than just speed up the menu... I've reported numerous other little glitchy things to Panasonic.

To me the worst is the dropouts on HD channels. My other receivers all report significantly better signal strength on the same transponders, but the Panasonic seems unusually picky.

Furthermore, if I shut the box off while tuned to an HD channel for a day or two, it'll lose its sense of what my DirecTV permissions are, and it takes a couple minutes on power up to get it together again. However, if I tune to a standard-def channel before powering off, no problem. I suspect this is due to the signal strength issue above.

I've tweaked my dish about as much as I can, but maybe I'll have to try for more.

Sigh.

------------------

Andy

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm up on v7.4 this morning ... guide and setup menus definitely faster ... too early to tell about dropout problems though sig strength on sat 'B' seems stronger than I remember it previously.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very pleased with the update. Everything is much faster and the guide may be even faster than my Sony SATB2's since they get "acquiring data" when I go ahead in time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Got mine last night....a lot faster guide....I never had the drop out issue and my signal stength is the same on the other bird.

·
Registered
33,590 Posts
Glad to hear you guys are having good luck with the Panny upgrade. It always had a great picture but it was the buggies that made me return it. I'm still waiting for the Zenith STB to come out before making a decision for my Zenith HDTV. If the Zenith doesn't work out I would reconsider the Panny at this point.

I'm still waiting to see if you guys are getting better performance on the HD reception front. I got fed up with Panny's insistence that you had to have at least a signal strength of 85 on all transponders to avoid dropouts. That was entirely unreasonable.

Good luck guys, I hope everything is improved!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Menu is faster. 75% less dropouts for SD channels. Still happens occasionally. There still are major dropouts on 199 and 509 HD channels. Maybe it's just me, but I think they're worse than ever on those channels.

[This message has been edited by thedivine1 (edited 06-21-2001).]

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.