AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went To couple of shops to check out home theatre setup.

First checked out Runco CRT projector, didnt like it.

Second check out I think was Seleco CRT projectore, didnt like it

Third was Yamaha Dila projector, didnt like it at all,

Fourth disappointed with crt's and dila, looked at 65" from Toshiba & Panasonic, best picture out of all the projectors, also checked out plasma, now this is better then spending cash on crt, dila or rptv.

Ofcourse this was my preference for a person that hasn't seen any of these units in operation before.

But I found the best image was displayed on Toshiba/Panasonic rptv hands down

I will put more details up later

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Come to Vancouver and I'll show you the NEC equivalent of the Runco at 1/10th the price and kick ass performance...:D

Actually, you could talk to WJSD, a forum member here. He's in Edmonton and has bought a few CRT's off me. His Barco D 400 should still be looking good.

Cheers and good luck!

Curt

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is the nec equivalent of the Runco, I liked the Seleco better when it came to the picture, The Runco was projected on 85" screen from backward, the seleco was projected on 135" screen and looked ten times better then the Runco which was listed at 65 thousand or whatever. I dont know if I just like RPTV, but I found them better at displaying the image. the Dila was right out of the picture, too bright and picture colour depth wasn't there, The Yamaha projector was listed 26 thousand. What about the sony.

Curt I sent you a email to add me to the list, let me know any high-end projectors that you have in stock from Sony, or other companies, that are equivalent to Nec XG-135 that you might have in stock.

Thank You

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
jvivek,

You are now on the road to enlightenment....Runco doesn't actually make any projectors - they source those, with a few mods like paint and a configuration change or two, from an actual PJ manufacturer. Currently they use Barco PJ's, but just a year ago they had been using NEC PJ's for years (NEC stopped making CRT PJ's - that's why Runco switched to Barco).

In terms of RPTV versus FPTV, I got bad news for you... The rear screen TV's you been looking at are 3 CRT devices too. Essentially the same thing you find in the big CRT's you see on the ceiling, but built down to a set performance level. The NEC/Runco/barco/Electrohome/ et al are MUCH higher performing components, but are limited to how well they are set up. If you were totally unimpressed with a Runco (NEC) on an 85" rear screen, then all I can say is it was sorely misrepresented and under no circumstances should you entertain the thought of buying from that dealer. It clearly wasn't setup properly. The DILA should have impressed as well, but that obviously wasn't optimized either. DLP's make a great PC image, but just an OK video image. A well set up Front screen system will always beat a typical rear screen. As for the Plasmas, they're an interesting technology, but go back and look at one with a really dark movie and tell me if you could really live with that gawd awful black level problem of 8 and 10 bit color. You'll see all manner of problems then.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Having seen examples of all of the various technologies (except DILA), if you think the picture on a RPTV was better than a high end FPTV/CRT, they simply were not set up right.

RPTV's (most anyhow) are just cheap 7" CRT projectors with very high gain Fresnel screens. So if an 8 or 9" CRT with better electronics capable of extremely precise focus and conversion and high scan rates for high resolution non-interlaced images looked worse, someone did a very poor job of setting up the projectors. Do yourself a favor and see what Curt can do before you write off CRTFP.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
jvivek,

Do yourself a favor and go see a CRT projector that is setup in someone's home. I have NEVER seen a CRT projector setup in ANY store that looks good. With that said, their are many members here that live in Calgary. Hopefully some of them will chime in and help you out. Once you've seen a CRT that has been setup properly and optimized correctly you will understand what everyone is talking about.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I don't recall any low-end NEC or Barco model sold as Runco, in the past.

AFAIK Runco only chooses the higher models, to be sold with its brand... The Cine6 is available as a Runco model, right now, but I think that it's the first time.

In any case, the major thing that I do not aggree, on what you wrote, is that you appreciated the image of an RPTV set more than a CRT pj (whatever model).

It's quite strange. I've seen (and played) with some dozens of different pjs, until now, but I didn't find any of them (even the worst), comparable with an RPTV.

The RPTV, in the 99% of the cases, are build by 3gun pjs that throw the image on a mirror, and then reflect it on a special surface.... The fact is that you can use whatever (good) Fresnel lens or whatever else "diffusing" surface, on an RPTV, but you will *never* reach the image quality obtained by the same 3gun, throwing the same image, on a good white surface.

And let's remember that the 3gun pjs used inside the RPTVs are normally quite worst, in quality, than the average 3gun stand-alone projectors...

Surely you've seen very, very bad set-up, on all the FP pjs....

Romano

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
jvivek -

It could of course be a matter of personal taste. A RPTV and a CRT FP are two different beasts when it comes to "the viewing experience" i think.

A few days ago a friend came over to my house to watch a movie on my "new" CRT FP setup. He had seen my Toshiba 65" widescreen HD RPTV when i still had that, and he has a nice 42" TV himself, so he had something to compare against. His first comment describes the difference i think: he said that with my current FP setup, the image looks less like TV, but more like film (what a compliment eh? :D).

So if you're more used to or simply prefer the "TV" like image, i can see how a RPTV will look better to you. A FP setup just looks different.

To me CRT FP looks better because it's more like "being in the theater at home" instead of "watching TV" (friends keep commenting on that). It's a matter of personal taste however which of the two you prefer of course.

But it's very true a CRT projector needs to be properly set up and fully "tweaked & tuned" to show off what it can do, so if you can and feel like it, i would definitely go see a properly set up CRT FP setup at one of the members' homes if i were you.

Good luck :)

Gertjan

·
Registered
93 Posts
jvivek

I have a friend that recently bought a Pioneer Rear Projection HDTV. A few weeks ago he came to my house and we watched Toy Story II w/ the kids and then Gladiator w/out the kids.

He's now shopping his Pioneer as he wants what I have for, as Gertjan so eloquently puts it, "the viewing experience", and I don't even yet feel qualified to say that my FP is set up wholly correct!! Heck, I'm still using a glass beaded screen!!

I got my FP CRT from Curt and have been nothing but happy. Oh and it wasn't even 1/10 of the price you're looking at for the Runco. From Curt, at 1/10 of the price, in Canadian Dollars, I'd bet you'd be lookin' at one kick a** machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.