AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little sleepy at the moment, hence the subject line.

Anyway, here goes:

It's a Mits 73909 RPTV, the DVD player is a Pio Elite DV-47A, and the receiver is a Pio Elite VSX-49TX.

That alone is killing me in the budget department, but never the less, I press on.

Like I said, I'm a lil sleepy. So anyway, what speakers will take advantage of all this hardware and will still be somewhat affordable. $1000 is about the price range I am seeing here. JBL looks good, but I am really uneducated on the subject of speakers all together. Also, I don't really want anything that it floor standing. I'd like the front & rears to be wall mountable if possible. This is, finally, my last choice on having what I want in my Home Theater Set-up.

~Jay

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is that $1,000 for a stereo, 5.1, 6.1 or psuedo 7.1 setup?

And if you are only wanting wall mountable speakers, the 49tx is overkill (in my opinion). In order to really take advantage of something like that, you would want fairly large floor speakers.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Agreed, this is a serious misallocation of budget.

US$5K for a receiver with all the latest bells and whistles. $1K for speakers that are going to be wall mounted?

I would seriously consider backing down the receiver, and allocating more budget on speakers.

Regards,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, well, lets say I can go higher on the amount I am willing to spend on my speakers....what would you suggest on the high end of things? Nothing outrageous, mind you...I'm not really up for paying 10 grand on a speaker set up, but something where I can get the full range of what the Pio Elite VSX-49TX can do. Unfortunately, the room all of this is being used in is probably not really set up for any mid speakers...I can have the front, center, and rears...as well as a sub if needed, but other than that...probably not any more room. I'm willing to go with floor standing as well, so long as they aren't big and bulky, which from what I have seen, shouldn't be a problem.

~Jay

·
Registered
937 Posts
Even if you can get the receiver for only $2K, you are still spending far too little for the speakers when compared to the rest of the system. It is generally more effective to buy better speakers and a less costly receiver, then upgrade the receiver later. The added benefit of this approach is that a year or so down the road not much will have changed in speakers but many new features will probably be available in receivers. Just another opinion.

John Kotches -- looks like you rented your space. Is this a change in alliances or just something additional? Why is your current epilog acceptable and your previous one not? Just curious.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
937 Posts
Jay

Looks like we crossed posts. Lots of great speakers out there -- not quite so many if you focus on those with very good centers. With a budget around $3-4K, both KEF and B&W are quite nice, Paradigm Reference, Anthony Gallo Due' (wall or stand mounted). PSB silveri are nice but I'm not sure the center is competitive.

If you post in the audio forum you will get many speaker recommendations, and if you search over the last couple of months, many similar threads.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well if it must be bookshelves...How bout PSB Stratus series Mini's. "B" Stock mini's should run $650.00 or so a pair and $350.00 for the center channel.

Sonus Faber Concertino's are a great speakers also (used go for $700.00 or so a pair). They feautre a walnut front with leather sides and are really gorgeous.

The Jean Marie Reynaud MKII's are also highly regarded, though I've not heard them.

Generally, many of the best budget/mid-fi speakers come from Canada - Energy, PSB, Paradigm, etc. However, there are other offerings from the U.S., Britain, and France which perform well.

FWIW, I think wall mounted main speakers considerably limit your ability to get the sound "just right". It can be done, but most times its like a silk hat on a pig. Plus, you usually have to drill holes right in the back of this $1000.00 pair of speakers you just spilt blood for. If option B, however, is placing them in an entertainment center, I would choose to wall mount them. The problem with wall mounting is that the cabinet will probably bounce up and down quite a bit. The best way to use "bookshelf" speakers is with a quality, heavy stand, in which case you might as well have floorstanders.

If WAF is a problem, then you should be looking at better quality speakers, instead of the BB JBL's with black ash finishes. Most mid-fi and hi-fi speakers are available in various veneers and look like a good piece of furniture. Diva's are a great example.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgive the laziness, but could someone perhaps provide a link to a web page with some info on some of these suggesstions?

~Jay

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bsd
WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor

-Brett

Ah, well, single guy here so no problem there. My dog doesn't seem to mind much that I am doing all this though. :D

·
Premium Member
Sony A8H 65”, Denon AVR-X6700h, Sony UBP-X1100ES, ATV4k, TiVo Bolt 4k, Energy Veritas 2.3 system
439 Posts
I actually have the Pioneer Elite 49tx and I can tell you it's a waste UNLESS you put some decent speakers on it. It is able to do some timbre matching on its own, but it really shines with quality speakers.

I can empathize with you on the $$ issue. I listened to MANY speakers and found that I loved the B&W 804 Nautilus line, but also loved the Energy Veritas line. I ended up buying the Veritas because I got open box specials (1/3 off), another 10% off on a coupon and 24 month 0% interest on them. With an Energy Microstar 12.1 sub (1500 watts, 12"), two Veritas 2.3's for fronts, a Veritas center channel, Veritas dipole surrounds for the sides and using my old Infinity speakers for the back channels, I put $3,600 into speakers. If you are patient and look (and wear down the sales people!) there are bargains out there. Maybe even go used (like B&W N's), but get decent speakers! That's the key to the whole thing. Or is the video the key? Or the receiver? I don't know, but I do know that nice speakers make it all work out well. :confused:

The 49tx can make poor speakers sound better, but it does a really nice job with decent speakers. BTW to make use of the Ultra2 modes and the really cool MCACC eq and distance setting feature of the 49tx, you MUST HAVE all the speakers and a sub hooked up.

I'm gathering from your initial post that you already own the 49tx? It is an amazing unit. I got mine on an auction on UBID and am just so absolutely happy with it and what it does with music and DVD's.

Larry

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone have any experience with Atlantic Tech. System 370 or the 450? a local pioneer dealer here is trying to sell me on it and I was just wondering if anyone has any info other than the glorification that the website gives it.

~Jay

·
Registered
178 Posts
Acoustic Research ( www.acoustic-research.com ) has the Phantom line which were rated Class A (or AA) rating in a well know HT magazine. Nicely complements a Plasma. And apparently, does not sound that crappy.

Top of my head, I actually never auditioned them.

Fred

·
Registered
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Will Binegar
That's great Jay. If the DAF ever heads South, just implement the "Knick Knack Paddy Whack" solution.
Ouch :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
That's great Jay. If the DAF ever heads South, just implement the "Knick Knack Paddy Whack" solution.
If the WAF ever heads south do you think the same sollution would work.....

Couldn't resist, even if it is in poor taste!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick C
If the WAF ever heads south do you think the same sollution would work.....
Patrick, don't you think that's being pretty demeaning -- on the dog, that is :)

Regards, Michael

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.