AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I got a spot light up on the trim and was not happy at all with the results. Not to mention with my cheap Rockler HVLP system more paint was on the walls than was on the trim. Time for an upgrade- my new best friend. Still cheaper than hiring a painter. Trim is much better now, once that's dry enough I'll start cutting in the walls\ceiling later today.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Someone say Batcave? It's dark in here. The trim, ceiling and front are all 'Greenblack' but the oil for the trim is basically black. Painting is done. Ceiling speakers are in. Just cleanup and misc electrical this weekend. Carpet on Monday and then I get to start moving in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Someone say Batcave? It's dark in here. The trim, ceiling and front are all 'Greenblack' but the oil for the trim is basically black. Painting is done. Ceiling speakers are in. Just cleanup and misc electrical this weekend. Carpet on Monday and then I get to start moving in.
Nice, dark color choice.
Maximizing onscreen black level should be a dedicated theater's first design criteria, but I am amazed at how many otherwise high performance rooms are sporting light colored decor.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, looks like carpet is back ordered. Got a few wiring/electrical items crossed off the list. I did end up putting some holes across the front of the riser and in the corners to hopefully use some of that insulation as a bass trap. It does help the riser sound less resonant when I stomp on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Carpet is in. The installers showed no mercy on my dark trim, I spent last night touching every inch up with an airbrush.

Surrounds are up. I really like how Axiom does their wall mounts. The mount on the wall also serves as the wiring contacts. So you put the mount on the wall, connect the wires to the mount, then the speaker slides down on top. Slick.

Projector is up but not connected to anything. I used that to make sure my screen placement would work.

Today was screen day. I put a more detailed thread over in the DIY section: Here

Laid out the front speakers. The center will go on a floating shelf, but it's good 'nuff for now. The screen will also get a decorative frame, but I'm busting it for football this weekend. I have to install the LED strip lights across the front of the riser, move the chairs in, and hook up the speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Is it an optical illusion or does the last seat in the first row appear to be right against the surround speaker?
It's close. The speakers are actually a hair behind the first row, so it's not right at your head. With the door in the ideal spot for the surrounds, my options were to put them up against the door, but well above ear height near the softies (above the light switch) or just next to the light switch, closer to ear level, but a bit behind. It didn't seem worth the hassle to move the door, which would have involved redoing all the walls/carpet in the hallway outside the room as well.

I went with the latter option- at bit behind but close to ear height. That last seat in the first row is clearly the 'worst seat in the house' but that's just how it has to be so the door can open. I wanted separation between the surrounds and ceiling speakers. Since my top fronts are in front of the MLP, I felt like I still had a good envelop around the seats.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Got a little work done tonight. Started working on the bass traps. Built a little frame to help support the chunks. Using Roxul Safe n sound. Nearly identical to 703 acoustically. I can get it here at Home Depot and I don't have to pay crazy shipping. I'm going to use it for my panels as well.

One issue I forgot about was the water cutoff for one of my outside spigots is above the front left corner. I had planned on cutting out a rectangle and putting in an access box, but wasn't thrilled in taking a big chunk out of my double drywall setup. Instead, I cut a 5" hole with a hole saw, enough to reach up and shut it off, and then I wrapped some joist tape around the cutout and fit it back in the hole. I can get to it if I need to, but I plan on just keeping that spigot off. It's behind bushes and we can't get to it easilly. If we ever move I'll put the box in. The bass trap covers it up. No drywall work.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I found a pneumatic stapler. Best $30 I've spent so far.

I work with a guy who's wife makes custom drapery- so she's my go to for fabric. This is basically the dri-fit material, called 'black jersey.' Super stretchy, but I had to be careful not to overdue it- then the frame started showing through. The frames press fit under the soffits, using the carpet/pat as my 'give' to wedge them into place. They aren't going anywhere.

Hopefully the movie poster wall panels tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
. I did start painting the in-ceiling Axiom M3s. The trim and ceiling will be 'greenblack' from Sherwin-Williams. It's basically black with just a touch of green. Two light coats with the airbrush tonight. Hopefully I'll finish these tomorrow and get the trim painted. I'm spraying on an oil base on the trim. I hate brush marks.
Did you use the HVLP to paint the speaker grills? I need to paint some, and my feeble attempts in the past have resulted in gummed up holes in the grill.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
My old HVLP system would have been too aggressive- it would definitely have been too much volume. I used an airbrush instead. I have a newer, better, HVLP gun where I can really dial down the pattern and volume, but already had painted the grills.

If I didn't have the airbrush I would have used an aerosol can or similar setup. They make aerosol kits you can add your own paint to.

I used oil based paint-sprays better.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
For both of you who are following along. I finally finished the room. Well, mostly. I will put the football helmets on shelves at some point, but not for a while.

The center speaker is on a floating shelf. Put a 2" velvet wrapped frame around the screen. I'll post some separate pics of that on my screen build thread.

I think I have enough hours on the bulb to go ahead and calibrate that as well.

Grills taken off the speakers for emphasis. I leave them on usually.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 46 Posts