AVS Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Here's the main thread, can't say I came up with the idea. I didn't want plain acoustic panels- I wanted movie posters. Basically I wanted portrait style movie posters without text. There's a moviepostersdb website out there, and blurayforum has a bunch as well.

Here's my post on construction.

Basically a 3" frame. But jointed. Braced from behind to provide rigidity. Stuffed with Roxul Safe n Sound (only ridgid type insulation I could find. According to a gearslutz review it has the same properties as 2" of 703 with an air gap. Much cheaper than the hundreds of dollars in shipping fees I would have had to pay for 703). Wrapped once with black jersey meaterial stretched super tight to keep from sagging, keep fibers in check, provide a black background for the posters. Then put the posters on top. The one thing I would do differently is either add 1/2" to my poster prints or measure the posters before building the frames. Most of mine were 1/4 to 1/2 inches too small and had to be stretched a little more than I wanted to stretch them. Glad I had the black behind them, otherwise the frames would show.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Been subscribed from your start and love how everything has turned out. Our rooms are similar in size so I was very interested. Whenever I get around to finally starting on my build I will be referencing your build frequently. Your color scheme is exactly what I was wanting and will definitely be using the movie poster idea for room treatments. Nice Job!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Been subscribed from your start and love how everything has turned out. Our rooms are similar in size so I was very interested. Whenever I get around to finally starting on my build I will be referencing your build frequently. Your color scheme is exactly what I was wanting and will definitely be using the movie poster idea for room treatments. Nice Job!
Thanks. The walls are Sherwin Williams 'peppercorn' latex flat, and the trim is 'greenblack', oil based satin. Ceiling and front wall are greenblack latex flat.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Thanks. The walls are Sherwin Williams 'peppercorn' latex flat, and the trim is 'greenblack', oil based satin. Ceiling and front wall are greenblack latex flat.
Interval update: Upgraded to a JVC projector and decided to try and maximize the room a bit more. Changing out the carpet is t an option- yet. We matched the rest of the basement- in retrospect I would have gone darker from the outset.

But- I painted the ceiling with BM ultra flat ceiling, black color. The SW was always dark but not quite black. I underestimated how much light was reflecting back on the screen. I also painted the front wall with the same paint. After a movie last night I’m also going to black out the vertical soffit surfaces.

I also stole the idea for a simple ‘stage’ up front by using a few sheets of plywood, painted black and wrapped in velvet. I didn’t want a formal built up stage. I wanted the screen as low as possible. This helps the front of the room disappear. The football helmets will be relocated to the back wall.

The JVC was already a huge improvement over my Epson but this pushed it over the top.

$80 paint. $75 plywood. $40 velvet. Significant improvement in picture quality.

EDIT: First pic is rotated but that’s my ceiling halfway through painting.

Attachments

41 - 46 of 46 Posts