Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too bad it's my personal UTV..

The live picture, when I get picture, pixelates.... UTV will freeze up and reset when ever it wants... will usually freeze when it is acquiring guide.

It will go to "searching for signal" constantly and there will be no signal at the signal meter... tuners will fail in test, but there is still audio ... no video, sometimes.

Sometimes it will work good for a little while.

If I try to power down, most of the time it will go to the "forever flashing green light".... requiring a power plug pull.

No matter how long the power is pulled for, on start up it will either go to flashing green forever , or it will start up fine... then soon crash.

If I am lucky enough to get it not to crash, I can get a good power down and then I can use the reset codes (which do nothing to help anyway).

I have been lucky enough to get a jenny code pumped into it and re downloaded the software.... did not help. Except now on power downs I can't enter any code at all!!

I think I have covered all the UTV failures I know about in one UTV!

:eek:

Funny thing is, I have opened about 20 different UTV's.. they all look exactly the same inside... except some have resistors soldered to the LNBP chips. Some don't.

Some have removable lids on the metal boxes in front of the LNBP chips. Some have sealed boxes.

Well... when I came across this UTV, I kept it for myself (and sold my perfectly good 1 year old UTV). This one had shiney black screws (holding down the PC board)...never seen that before.

There were no metal boxes at all in front of the LNBP chips.... the power supply was built like non other I had seen before... even the color of the power supply PCB was different.

I thought I had a SUPER UTV in my hands! Built for Mr. Gates himself!

Well, apparently not....

After my successful fixings of 7 different UTV's, the UTV God's have strucketh me down and brought me Armageddon in a box!

Any advice?

:(

·
Registered
30 Posts
first thing i'd check, is swap lnb's. maybe your lnb is faulty and causing your receiver to act up.

next, try the code 23552355 to reset the entire operating system and start fresh (you will loose all recorded shows).

if that doesn't help... try the code 24682468 to preform a low level format on the utv hard drive. when you enter this code, the green light will blink for up to an hour. DO NOT unplug it until it stops (leave it overnight if you have to). after the light starts blinking, it will make you download the operating system over the phone line.

if it still doesn't work, maybe it's the cable run to your unit. maybe it's running too hot. maybe the hard drive is just cooked.

good luck :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
klassic, how does the serial number on the box compare alphanumerically to the other 20 boxes you've seen?

Is it one of the stick-on paper labels over the one emblazoned on the box from the factory?

How does the electronic serial no. on the System Info page compare to your other units numbers?

It sounds like you have either a very early or late unit.

Hope the low-level format works for you. How big/old is your hard drive?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes.. it is a stick on label over the other one. Does that mean it is a refurb?

Had I of known that I would have kept my working unit.

Unfortunately I have no other UTV's here to compare numbers with. There is another little sticker on the above mentioned sticker, D00098.

I get the feeling this is a later model I have because the first UTV I had, 2 years ago, did not have the resistors added to the LNBP chips as they have now and my first on had the metal boxes...this one has none.

The drive is a WD... this is the first WD I have seen out of the 20 that I have looked at, all others were Seagates... maybe just coincidence.

After monkeying around some more I finally got it to take a code... 23552355. It immediately did a format :eek: ... I have never seen that before from this code.

After the format it wanted the software, which it downloaded with no problem.

Still all the same problems on the restart.

Since it will work flawlessly for about 20 mins occasionally I never thought of checking the LNBS or the multiswitch. I guess I will swap LNB's and go direct to the box as toxicthunder has suggested...

:( it's windy and cold out side... I hope it is the LNB.

It was a lot more fun playing with these things when I had one to watch and knew what was wrong with the others.

·
Registered
719 Posts
When it works, what is your signal strength. Your symptom might be a cable or especially a loose connector problem. Try wiggling the connectors. And did you buy a prefab or did you make the cables yourself? Also, if it is windy, is it possible that your allignment is on the edge and the wind takes in just in and out of alignment. What happens with the alignment beeping, does it change pitch or remain the same?

For temperture, try blowing a small desktop fan on the unit to see if that helps. Or when it is working, try blowing a hair dryer on it for a short time (not too close) to see if that makes it act up.

Oh yeah, you certainly what to elminate the multiswitch for a time to see if that is bad.

Good luck, and let us know if you figure it out.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

I wanted to pass along some advice and ask a question.

You mentioned that after the "format" (2355 2355 which should have left the OS alone) you were able to download the OS via modem without problem. Are you saying that your UTV isn't having any "reset/reboot" issues when the UTV is in "dowload only" mode...?

I've made suggestions to some people that have had the "flashing green light problem" or "doesn't power up" problem that pulling the hard drive from the UTV to check if the UTV works otherwise (gets checking for update video screen and sound) may be good at restoring the UTV... You might want to try this if just for the "Take it apart, put it back togeather and it works!" phenomenon.

If the UTV stays powered up in this state (no hard drive) for a time you could determine where the problem areas are... (hard drive/software). I forget if 411 works without a hard drive AND if you can get Tuner stats without the hard drive, but you might want to try...

When you reinstall the Hard Drive you might also want to try putting your Hard Drive on "life support" (unless you want to try just swapping out the drive).

When people attempt to "unlock" a UTV drive some have used an external power supply (from a PC for example) to power the UTV drive while it "unformats"... you might want to try and use an external power supply to power the UTV HD while in use... the reason your UTV is resetting itself might be power/hard drive related... if you can isolate the hard drive's power supply and it fixes the problem then you may want to check/replace the MOLEX (power connector) wire for the hard drive... (Hopefully the UTV power supply isn't shot)

Also, be sure to check your power supply fuse AND Power Supply Ribbon Cable... (I've heard, pulling and reseating this has solved power up/down issues for some) Make sure contacts are clean.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
David ...you idea about using external power for the hard drive is a good one.

No, there is no freezing of any sort when going through MSN screens or downloading.. but it will freeze about 4 screens into the Welcome/Setup dialog... that would be about the time it starts looking for guide and signal.

But, after checking the LNB/multiswitch issues (which I should have done at the start), it seems to work fine when tuner one only is connected. When tuner two gets connected the UTV will freeze up.

I have eliminated the multiswitch (perhaps the whole cause of this mess!!!!) and run direct from the 101* LNB.

It doesn't matter which coax I plug into Tuner2 it will still freeze up and go into a flashing green.

If I start the UTV up with no tuners connected and then connect Tuner2, the signal meter will read 91(that is what I always get when everything is working) and then drop to 0, then back up...then down.. then will stay at zero after it does this dance for a bit.

I am having issues with the power supply, and, BTW, the fuse is soldered to the board on this odd looking power supply.

It is making a noise like worn out bearings on a hard drive... but obviously there are no moving parts.... ??????? and I can't pinpoint were on the power supply it is coming from... it is fairly loud

I checked the voltage outputs at the ribbon cable and it all seems up to snuff.

One really odd thing was my arm was resting on the hard drive case and I touched the big heat sink at the front of the power supply (near the 120v input), to see how hot it was, and got zapped!

I put my meter from ground to the heat sink and I am seeing -60.0v. I find that strange.

If anyone feels like testing their heat sink with a meter I would love to hear if you have any power there, or on any other heat sink.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Purely for "experiemental" purposes... Is the Power Supply in your "SUPER UTV" swappable with a "Good" PS from another UTV? I assume besides the Revisions in design that the UTV case hasn't changed and will accept "replacement" parts?

I realize you mentioned that you don't have other UTVs at the moment... but at some future point it might be interesting to know what a good Power Supply will have on this problem.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
33 Posts
klassic I checked my system and I get -78V on the heat sink with the fins. The other flat metal heat sinks all read 0V. Also the top of what looks like a large capactor (didn't check its label) near the heat sink reads the same -78V

But as you know, my system is also hosed so it might not be the best reference...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Another thought on the UTV Power Supply.

What would it take to "retrofit" a PC Power Supply (say an old AT type) to a UTV and make it work?

Anyone with the UTV Spec sheet want to take a swing at this one?

I'm kind of thinking since a UTV is basicly just a customized PC and hard drive that they might have based the Power Supply on a standard PC Power Supply? You'd need to rig some kind of converter for the connectors for starters, but would it work otherwise?

Hardcore UTV users may have to mutilate their UTVs to keep them alive (or bring them back from the dead). Not that we aren't doing it now, but in more inventive ways...

Later,

·
Registered
262 Posts
Klassic,

Sorry I haven't checked in sooner and yes I am STILL waiting for Sony to get their, uh, stuff together and get me my lnbp13's. Anyway...

I opened up the one I'm working on and it too shows -75 volts on the big heatsink so I think you can assume that to be normal.

Switching power supplies are prone to "sing". If there are loose laminations in the transformer it would make it more audible. If nothing in the power supply is getting really hot then I would not think the "singing"is a problem.

The fact that it will run its software well enough to use the modem and do the download routines etc. also makes me think that the power supply is OK.

I assume that you checked the voltages at the F connectors under the various lnb hookups and they were what you expected them to be?

I realize that these are not answers, just my random thoughts...

If you think of any measurements I could make on mine to help with comparisons to yours just let me know.

Sorry, thats all I have...

Kazak

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for responding guys.....

Since my last post it has been working fine , with only one tuner plugged in, but when ever I try to plug in the other tuner it just freezes. It will freeze for a bit, then reset itself and work fine again (as long as tuner 2 is not connected).

Now it won't work with tuner 1 either... I have to do many unplugging attempts to get the flashing green to quit (without any tuner connected) and once it boots it will freeze up when I connect the tuner that WAS working and goes back to flashing green.

I can get it to stop flashing and boot to the MSN connect screen by plugging it in with the card in the "other" slot.... Then pull out the card and it will go to the regular start up screens...but as soon as I plug in the tuners it is done...

This one is new for me.... I don't use MSN but I have been to the connecting screen many times before and now it plays some kind of jungle/waterfall music while trying to connect, and after it fails (because my phone line is disconnected). Is this music a common thing?

I haven't checked any voltages because the cheap friggin' probes broke off the wire leads of my meter, and I was never inclined to check the voltages any way because, one way or another, it would start working again.... except now.

I haven't actually swapped my LNB yet, I have only bypassed the multiswitch.. tomorrow I will change LNBs.

I feel I am beating a dead horse!

And Kazak... why is Sony torturing you?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sunday morning I woke up to sort of the same issue. Freezing while watching TV, and then reboot. Then it went to the flashing green light. Finally disconnected the tuners one at a time to see if that might be the problem. I could only get it to stop if I disconnected BOTH tuners. I am not running on a multiswitch, just a dual-LNB. Both LNBs work fine with a Sony standalone reciever I have.

I've tried the 5309 code, DL'ed just fine, but same issue. Watched everything I wanted from my shows with the tuners disconnected, then used the 23552355 code. Erased all recordings and info, but problem still exists. Tried to used code 24682468, but could not get it to take the code.

At my wits end...(not a long trip by now). I guess tomorrow I call RCA and find out if it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi Klassic,

Not sure where you currently stand with your "Super UTV", but if your power supply still sounds "like worn out bearings on a hard drive..."

Sony's Direct Accessories & Parts Center
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/

Has a replacement Power Supply for the UTV.

Item Requested : 146857411

Description : POWER SUPPLY

Currently In Stock : Yes

Price(in USD) : $ 69.78

It certainly costs a lot... (Maybe twice that of a PC PS) but probably less then having it sent away and serviced elsewhere...

Later,

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks David.... but, hehe, it was my CyberCooler that was making the noise. The one fan is right under the power supply, that explains the bearing like sound and explains why all the voltages wer correct when I checked them during a freeze-up.

I can only watch my UTV for about 6 hours, on one tuner, before it crashes and goes to a flashing green. Then it has to be unplugged for 24 hours and, if I'm lucky, it will start up again.

I also had to lift pin 4 of LNBP13 off the board and soldered a wire with an alligator clip on it so I can manually power it with 3.3v to receive even transponders when required..... This is a trick Schickb came up with.

Luckly most stuff I watch is on odd transponders and i on't have to get up.

I hate my UTV..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.