Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eBay account was hijacked a couple

of weeks ago. The crooks changed my

eBay password and my eBay email address.

Then listed high dollar items with my name.

I wondered at the time how they could

have gotten my eBay email address and

then my eBay password to

start with. Then yesterday I received this

At first glance it appeared to be very real.

That is until I noticed how they spelled the

word "parteners".

Bob

http://members.cox.net/bobwood21/capture.jpg

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Very scary stuff.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
They also should have said, "have become" instead of "became". These crooks need to go back to school.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Ebay has said several times that they will never email you asking for your password for any reason

·
Registered
158 Posts
they also mispelled retype. and the whole paragraph at the top sounds weird. things like "For both, our and your security".

although i might have been fooled myself under the right circumstances.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My Ebay account had been "hijacked" once. It was kinda scary, because eventually the Dallas D.A.'s office was involved in recovering funds from the fradulent auctions.....and MY name was showing up as the seller.

On the legal side, I don't know what happened in the end, but Ebay was very good and prompt about it and I was cleared of any fault.

I'm normally very cautious and I would never fill out something like that. I still dont know how they got my passwords. Supposedly they were based out of Latvia, which could also explain the poor grammar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Wife and I have seperate ebay accounts and we've received these on several occassions. I usually use some of my networking/internet skills to do some tracing and can always find out the actual addresses (email and IP) to determine where they are coming from. From there ... I forward the information to ebay as well as the administrator(s) of the "hacked" accounts. Just as Roto stated above, Ebay will NEVER send you an email asking for this information.

Best Regards (and be careful)

Doug

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would recommend that nobody ever fill out HTML forms in email. It is difficult to know when you hit that submit button where it is sending your information. Most legitimate organizations will send you an email with links to their web site instead of embedding the form in the email message.

Rob

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Bob,

You need to clean out your Bulk folder :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Another thread on another forum claimed that these people operate out of Moscow, hence the poor grammar and spelling. I'm sure the grammar is perfect in Russian. They also send a similar message for you Paypal accounts.

I just delete all e-mail I'm not expecting without even looking at the subject. The spammers and crooks have rendered e-mail unusable.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by broadwayblue
all this process...what kind of grammar is that?
I just have two things to say to that:

"All your base are belong to us" ;)

and

"This thread belongs in Home Theater General forum. Moving it over..."

·
Registered
561 Posts
This is why I think ebay is useless. I will never use it. The good old classified in the old newspaper works just as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Both my ebay and yahoo account got hijacked last weekend, but I have never received such an e-mail. I'm not sure how it happened. One mistake I made was having the same password for both accounts. Fortunately my paypal account had a different password.

BTW, Ebay has done a great job taking care of the problem. Unfortunately, I cannot get my yahoo account back because whoever hijacked it must have changed some information so I can no longer verify who I am.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I received an email similar to this one a few months ago, except that it didn't have the form in the email. Instead, it had a link to what looked just like the eBay membership information page, but it was actually hosted through a different service.

The scammer had cleverly copied eBay's actual HTML and constructed his own look-alike page. Anyone not looking at the actual address of the site wouldn't have known the difference.

I forwarded the email and header information to eBay, and the crook's site quickly disappeared.

Just another scam to keep an eye out for. Always make sure you know where a link is taking you to.

Scott

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have gotten this TWICE this week. I ALWAYS IGNORE anything like this from AOL or EBAY. It has SCAM written all over it!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Romanians

Beware of anything with a .ro address

My Ebay account was hijacked too and the crooks promptly listed two high end Cisco Routers, Even though I noticed it right away and notified EBAY, Ebay did NOT cancel the auctions. I Emailed both the winners, telling them not to pay, but one already had, to the tune of $1700 to a Kenosha address - after much wrestling with Ebay, they let me know that there is a lot of this stuff originating from Romania and thats where these guys were. They have people here that pickup payments from drop points. Its a damn gypsy group of grifters running another con.

It appears that they had brute forced my password, it was only 4 numeric digits and yes, I know, THAT was really, really dumb.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got an e-mail like this today but it was for my paypal account. It said that I had to submit all of my account info or else my account would be closed. Of course I didnt do it and I sent a copy of the e-mail along with the "properties" to paypal. Hopefully they can do something about it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As with everything on the Internet, take things with a grain of salt and an "always questioning" attitude.

Fortunately for you the "social engineering" that these individuals used did not get past you. Amazing they didn't see this misspelling considering the fact that spellcheck is so common in applications...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Do not click links (blue words) in email messages.

Otherwise you could bring up a whole host of authentic looking paypal, browser, ebay, etc. home pages that may be fakes.

Instead, go directly to paypal, browser internet service provider, ebay, etc. as if you are going there on your own. (That is, typing the URL such as ww. paypal.com normally in the space provided in your browser). Any important information should show up there.

If you do click a blue link in an email message by mistake or otherwise, log off and dial back into the internet before entering a password for any account with any other web site.

More scams:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/scam.htm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.