Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eBay account was hijacked a couple

of weeks ago. The crooks changed my

eBay password and my eBay email address.

Then listed high dollar items with my name.

I wondered at the time how they could

have gotten my eBay email address and

then my eBay password to

start with. Then yesterday I received this

At first glance it appeared to be very real.

That is until I noticed how they spelled the

word "parteners".

Bob

http://members.cox.net/bobwood21/capture.jpg

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Robert, I'm sorry to hear about your condition. I recently went to login to my PayPal account that I opened sometime back (before I learned to hate them, too) and discovered that my password wasn't working. I use the PayPal Forgotten Password link and was prompted for either the full credit card number (yeah, right) or the name of my pet. Well, I tried every name of my pets and none worked. Surprising? No. I don't trust the eBay+PayPal consortium.

When I get around to it, I will fax them instructions to close the account. I would not put it past them to allow it to be victimized like your eBay account has been abused. I would actively encourage people to setup their own personal websites for the stuff they are looking to sell, and then force wire-transfers and or use escrow accounts (or AVS classifieds, I suppose).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
WOW!!!

Tanks for the heads up Robert & sorry to hear what happened.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Sorry to hear that Robert. Have you contacted Ebay? And if so how helpful have they been? From previous threads it seems they have been less than accommodating in the fraud department.

Chris

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Robert-

This type of scam to hijack personal information has been warned by not only Clark Howard's Radio talk show on money matters but also has been sent out by many credit card companies.

The avoidance is simple-

NEVER EVER use a link sent to you in an e-mail to access your sign-on to EBAY, PAYPAL, or credit card or bank account home page where it may be a counterfeit web page to look like your real one. You do and enter that personal ID info and you really have just given it to the one who sent you the bogus e-mail.

Two things-

Always log on to your secure site from a browser that you know the link is your own and make sure it is secure.

Second, never use a bank check card or debit card to do any transactions that you do not have total personal control over (none). Only use real credit cards protected by the federal credit card protection act.

Anyone who uses check cards that resemble VISA cards or debit cards, especially on line are a disaster waiting to happen. While there is legislation pending to add these types of accounts to the federal CC protection act, currently if you have card fraud, debit and bank check cards are not protected by any national standard. There is no such thing as "my bank assured me they would never let me hang out to dry" If you believe that then you are as dumb as they want you to be over this matter. You have no idea how screwed you can be if you use one of these cards and crook gets hold of it. Second, if you are capable of owning a true credit card and choose to use a debit or check card you are, IMHO, just a plain dumb ass advertising: come and get my life savings! Debit and check cards are great for those who don't have much to lose and certainly have little in the bank beyond what they use for the debit card. If you set one up this way, then you can only be screwed out of the max deposits you have in that same bank.

How do I know this: Besides from knowing the facts- I learned from a personal bad experience from a neighbor who was damn near forced into bankruptcy over it, my own father got nailed and thanks to me learning about it and it was a Friday afternoon, and he was a personal friend of the Bank president, we closed his accounts within hours before the wire transfer was attempted for over a $150,000 of his money on Monday morning just to cover a service fee of a few hundred $. When he told me about it I followed the wise rule that nay deal to good to be true probably was. The crook was polished and slick over the phone, sounded knowledgable and honest and had my father fooled over a bogus "investment opportunity" The matter was turned over to the FBI by the bank but the guy skipped.

These crooks are serious and expert in this kind of fraud. They have many scams. All we can do is be as prudent as the experts advise us. One thing I would say is be careful who you get your advice from, most of the time your banker will not give you good advice on these cards because he is trying to sell you one. Talk to a lawyer or an expert in financial matters independent of the one trying to sell you and make money off you.

This advice I give is good because it is accurate and I don't really care if you lose your shirt some day or benefit from following it.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, In my specific case, I'm still trying to figure out how they got my eBay email address and password. I received the email you see above AFTER my account had been hijacked. I don't remember ever submitting anything similiar prior to that. But I guess I must have and just don't remember doing so.

I got it all straightened out the same day I discovered it, Chris (cmont).

But I was frantically trying to get eBay's attention for four hours. I could not find any phone number for eBay. I finally found a "live chat" thing for customer service and used that to talk to a customer rep. That got me nowhere because all he could do was give me an email address to report it.

And that email received only an automated response reply which said they would get back to me in 72 hours. Hell, both my real auctions and the crooks auctions would have already ended in 72 hours. What a farce.

Finally, a friend pointed me to a newsgroup which was set up for people to discuss issues with eBay (alt.online.marketing.ebay). We posted a message to the newsgroup requesting an eBay phone number. Someone replied and pointed me to a web page which listed about every phone number there is for eBay. I started calling those numbers. With the third call I finally got a human being who understood the urgency of getting this resolved. Once that happened, it took them about 5 minutes to close the bogus auctions and reset everything about my account to what it had been before.

I think these crooks later sent me the email you see above because they must be wanting to use my eBay name again. Can you believe that?

Bob

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Here's a rule that works 100% of the time: If you receive an e-mail that asks for your password, delete it. If you need to change you password, go to the official website, logon and change your password.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
To not trust eBay and their operations is to not trust eBay employees. I would imagine that eBay has its fair share if disgruntled employees, too, which means dire conditions for eBay users.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Bob-

Well sorry for your bad experience but many times good things come from bad experiences. Personally I avoid E-bay because I just don't understand it. I've bought a couple of things off e-bay with good experiences but I'm sure you are much more experienced than I am at the entire process. IMO, there is just too much bad in the e-bay way they do things, including the description you provided on how difficult it was to get response when things go bad.

Maybe you could post a link in this thread to that web page with all the phone numbers here as a service to others on AVS. I would like to have that link to save to my folder on e-bay matters. Currently there is not much in it because I rarely go there but at least the phone contacts would be handy for me and I presume others to have.

Thanks for the PSA thread. People need to know how easy it is even for an experienced e-bay user such as yourself to get scammed.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good suggestion, Don. I've got that url bookmarked on my PC at home. When I get home tonight I'll post it to this thread for you.

Bob

·
Registered
534 Posts
Somewhere in the HTML of the "fake" e-mail sent to you, there has to be a URL, or e-mail address, or SOMETHING which will give some direction to where your information is going. It would be interesting to know how far you can track something like this. I would also imagine it wouldnt be too difficult to set up a sting operation if the govt. resources were there to back it.

Do a bit of research - dig into the html/email. That's what I did... and it landed a scammer in jail (well, not quite yet - he's being prosecuted now anyways).

Steve

·
Registered
569 Posts
While I haven't had any bad experiences with eBay (because I don't use it) I have had a couple of bad experiences with Pay-Pal, including one that forced me to cancel my credit card account and open a new one. I do a lot of purchasing with this credit card over the Internet and am very careful of who I do it with. I have notified several Internet companies that I will not do business with them if they require the use of Pay-Pal for credit card transactions. A couple of them have since dumped PayPal and I have purchased from them. One of them refused to allow a credit card purchase without PayPal and I went elsewhere to buy the product even though I paid more for it.

We need to let Internet vendors know that they won't get our business if they *require* the use of PayPal.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
Robert, I'm sorry to hear about your condition. I recently went to login to my PayPal account that I opened sometime back (before I learned to hate them, too) and discovered that my password wasn't working. I use the PayPal Forgotten Password link and was prompted for either the full credit card number (yeah, right) or the name of my pet. Well, I tried every name of my pets and none worked. Surprising? No. I don't trust the eBay+PayPal consortium.

When I get around to it, I will fax them instructions to close the account. I would not put it past them to allow it to be victimized like your eBay account has been abused. I would actively encourage people to setup their own personal websites for the stuff they are looking to sell, and then force wire-transfers and or use escrow accounts (or AVS classifieds, I suppose).
The only trouble with this approach is that no sane buyer would buy anything, I sure wouldn't. In over 3 years I haven't had a single problem with either eBay, Audiogon or PayPal, either as a buyer or seller. I absolutely refuse to buy from sellers who only accept wire-transfers and money orders etc. and refuse to use escrow accounts as they have more fraud than PayPal itself.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by traveler
While I haven't had any bad experiences with eBay (because I don't use it) I have had a couple of bad experiences with Pay-Pal, including one that forced me to cancel my credit card account and open a new one. I do a lot of purchasing with this credit card over the Internet and am very careful of who I do it with. I have notified several Internet companies that I will not do business with them if they require the use of Pay-Pal for credit card transactions. A couple of them have since dumped PayPal and I have purchased from them. One of them refused to allow a credit card purchase without PayPal and I went elsewhere to buy the product even though I paid more for it.

We need to let Internet vendors know that they won't get our business if they *require* the use of PayPal.
"Real companies" usually are set up to accept credit cards. The advantage of PayPal for casual or hobbiest sellers is that you don't need a 5 year committment or the pain in the ass hassle of getting your money quickly from a CC service processor.

I used to accept credit cards when I had a legitimate manufacturing company but now sell only occasionally and much prefer PayPal. You will give yourself more buyer protection by only dealing directly with your credit card but will not have the opportunity to buy lots of neat, low priced goodies from individuals or casual part-time businesses.

Most casual sellers who do not use PayPal or some other payment service require either a wire transfer of money order. Think of what protection you get as a buyer with that kind of deal. I absolutly refuse send money up front unless I know the seller and have passed up lots of enticing stuff because of my stand. But there isn't any completely foolproof way that equally protects the interests of both buyer and seller.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just so you all know in the future, NEVER respond to an email that asks for your password. Their only purpose is to steal your info. While I am at it, never open executable or visual basic files either where you are unfamiliar with the source.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Lets use common sense, never give anyone your password or bank account numbers. I have used paypal, ebay with no problems. If something feels wrong, it probably is!

Ross

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.