AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new HDTV.

I have decided against DLP and all projection TVs and want to go with a flat panel TV.

I'm still up in the air w/r/t plasma vs. LCD, but I am leaning towards LCD.

The viewing distance in the room is 11'. I'm looking for something 42-50". My budget is $2,000. I have a stand that is 37" wide by 19" deep (one of the reasons I'm going flat panel). My wife has decreed that I must not buy a white TV (either black or gray, since a white bezel would look even more ostentatious than a huge TV in our little living room, with the color scheme).

I'd like to be able to hook my PC and my digital camera up to it, but that's not a deal breaker.

The last gaming system I owned was a Nintendo 64, so I'm not planning on playing video games on it.

TVs I've seen and like:

Panasonic Plasmas (both 42" and 50" - found a 50" Panny plasma for $1,999.99 at Circuit City)

Toshiba 1080p LCD

Sony Bravia - All models. Having trouble finding one under $2K!

Hitachi 42HDX99

All Samsung Plasma and LCD, but haven't found a 50" in my price range.

At first I leaned away from plasmas because the picture quality looked too artificial and cartoonish to me. I didn't want to be watching the Final Four and have Greg Oden look like a character out of Finding Nemo. Then I heard that stores usually play with the settings to "get the right look." Now I'm leaning towards plasma, but REALLY like the look and PQ of the Sony.

Basically - Plasma or LCD? (I realize this is the LCD thread, so there's a bias)

Can I get something good for under 2K?

If I go Plasma, am I an idiot for going with Panasonic just because it's the most popular?

I've heard Sony is the class of LCD TVs. Is this true?

Should I throw my price sealing out the window and go as big as possible, perhaps risking divorce?

Any help/questions you have are appreciated.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If you're not going to be gaming on it, and lighting in your room is not a problem (plasmas have a glossy screen that reflects light badly), then plasma is probably your best bet for picture quality.

And before I get flamed for saying this in this forum, for the record, I own a 40" Samsung LCD. But I have lighting issues, game a lot, and my wife leaves the Tivo paused for hours at a time -- all reasons I decided upon LCD. I'm very satisfied with it, but I must confess that I've had to tweak it a lot to reduce the black crush, and the off angle viewing gets washed out more than I'd like (not a problem unless we have a crowd over to watch a game or something -- our room doesn't accomodate everyone sitting in the sweet spot).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips!

The lighting in the living room can be controlled and is usually pretty sparse, so plasma is sounding better and better.

One other thing: I've heard that regular TV doesn't look good on the plasma or LCD sets. Is this true? Is there a way to control it? Improve it?

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keller168 /forum/post/0

Thanks for the tips!

The lighting in the living room can be controlled and is usually pretty sparse, so plasma is sounding better and better.

One other thing: I've heard that regular TV doesn't look good on the plasma or LCD sets. Is this true? Is there a way to control it? Improve it?

Sadly, there is no way to really "improve" SD signal on an HD panel. Essentially what is happening is all of the imperfections of a 480i signal are being blown up on a much higher resolution screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay.

Looks like I have it narrowed down to two TVs:

Samsung HP-S5053

Panasonic TH-50PX60U

They're both plasmas (thanks everyone for the suggestions! You really helped make the decision easier!) so I might be in the wrong forum now.

However, I was wondering if anyone had experience with either of these TVs and what their thoughts were.

And, one question: Samsung seems to offer burn-in protection while Panasonic does not. Is this a big deal? I don't leave the TV paused for more than 5 minutes at a time and rarely fall asleep in front of it. Just not sure what the benefit of having it is and the risk of NOT having it is.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had a samsung, a panasonic and pioneer in my house. I found that SD (normal cable) looked better on the panny than the sammy. But I found it looked best on a Pioneer 5070. Unfortunately, that is out of you budget even at forum sponsors.

Either one of those two can be a winner. I don't think you can go much wrong. I would probably pick the panasonic, but not by much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.