AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you have a Pro Logic receiver , is there ANY way possible to convert it into dolby digital ? via a processor or ????? what ever , my friend and i were sittin at our favorite watering hole :) discussing the possibility to do this , i insisted there was no way to do so , but he thinks in todays world of technology there has to be SOME way to make it happen ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if i hook up a DVD player with a DD "decoder" to a pro logic receiver it will give me true DD ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
if remember correctly, yes.

When my parents finally broke down and went DVD a few years ago, I bought them a sony, cant remember the model number anymore. But it was one of the mid-range models with a DD decoder in it.

EDIT: now i remember, damnits been a awhile. As millwood said, you needed a prologic receiver that is DD ready.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by millwood
No, unless it has 5.1 input (they were sold as Dolby-Digital ready, in the bad old days, :)).
so if it had 5.1 input , wouldnt it be DD ? so right now i can go to my old Onkyo 727 that is Pro logic .... and connect a DVD player that has a DD decoder , and get "true" DD ?

now you guys really have my interests peaked ....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sarlacc
if remember correctly, yes.

When my parents finally broke down and went DVD a few years ago, I bought them a sony, cant remember the model number anymore. But it was one of the mid-range models with a DD decoder in it.

EDIT: now i remember, damnits been a awhile. As millwood said, you needed a prologic receiver that is DD ready.

ah hah ... DD "ready " not just a "pro logic " receiver ... thats what i kinda thought , :)

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
There are two ways that this can be done. The first is if your receiver, DD "ready" or not, has a six-channel pre-in (otherwise known as a 5.1 preamp input). If this is the case, you can send the output of an external DD/DTS decoder into this multichannel input and select that input as the source when watching DVD's. The second way, and the way I've used a pro-logic preamplifier in the past, is if it has a set of six-channel pre-outs. Most receivers do - they are simply an unamplified version of the L/C/R/surround speaker outputs. Run these through a DD/DTS decoder that has a bypass function. When a DD/DTS signal is presented to the decoder, it assumes preamp functions with its own volume control and channel level settings. When you are using the prologic function of your preamp, the decoder simply goes into bypass mode. This, however, requires seperate outboard amplification, unless you have the multichannel pre-ins mentioned above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.