AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice to have a holiday weekend, but my last night of freedom felt empty. Why? No 'Heroes' fix. I don't miss '24' probably because this was not its best season by a wide margin. But I'm jonesing for some 'Heroes' and have only a few eps still left on my DVR.

I looked at NBC's summer schedule for Mondays at 10:00 pm for the next couple of weeks (what I could find) only to see specials: Stanley Cup, and Runaway Bride the following week. Oh and the competition is stuff like Supernanny and CSI Miami. So I figured I'd test the waters for a grass roots campaign to convince NBC to show previous eps of 'Heroes" again (only in HD) at 10:00 p.m. Why 10:00 p.m.? Well, it looked like the competition wasn't too fierce, and even though it would be on a little later, the network would maintain some viewer association with Monday nights, they've already got these shows, and since 'Heroes' turned out to be such an unexpected hit, I can't believe they don't have a better shot at garnering ad revenues with this show, than whatever they have in mind after mid-june.

I'll be the first to admit that this is driven by pure personal interest to be able to watch/DVR Heroes in HD on a big screen (website just don't cut it) during the doldrums and up to its return.

So, anyone else in for this?

Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin /forum/post/0

Nice to have a holiday weekend, but my last night of freedom felt empty. Why? No 'Heroes' fix. I don't miss '24' probably because this was not its best season by a wide margin. But I'm jonesing for some 'Heroes' and have only a few eps still left on my DVR.

I looked at NBC's summer schedule for Mondays at 10:00 pm for the next couple of weeks (what I could find) only to see specials: Stanley Cup, and Runaway Bride the following week. Oh and the competition is stuff like Supernanny and CSI Miami. So I figured I'd test the waters for a grass roots campaign to convince NBC to show previous eps of 'Heroes" again (only in HD) at 10:00 p.m. Why 10:00 p.m.? Well, it looked like the competition wasn't too fierce, and even though it would be on a little later, the network would maintain some viewer association with Monday nights, they've already got these shows, and since 'Heroes' turned out to be such an unexpected hit, I can't believe they don't have a better shot at garnering ad revenues with this show, than whatever they have in mind after mid-june.

I'll be the first to admit that this is driven by pure personal interest to be able to watch/DVR Heroes in HD on a big screen (website just don't cut it) during the doldrums and up to its return.

So, anyone else in for this?

Palladin

NBC has a new show planned for Monday 10pm called Age of Love.

According to http://epguides.com/grid/summer.shtml , they don't have anything planned yet for 8-10pm on Mondays

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I still have the last 12 episodes on my HD DVR, and would love the chance to rewatch the season in HD before the next starts, but I don't really expect NBC to reair them. After all, that's what we've been hearing so much over the last 2 or 3 years: "Serials don't repeat well." The show will be out on DVD and HD DVD on August 28, nearly a month before Season 2 starts, so chances are you'll have to wait for that.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 /forum/post/0

NBC has a new show planned for Monday 10pm called Age of Love.

According to http://epguides.com/grid/summer.shtml , they don't have anything planned yet for 8-10pm on Mondays

Now that I've followed your link, I see that 10:00 'Age of Love' show is from the same company that did 'The Biggest Loser', and that means that Ben Silverman (who just dethroned NBC's entertainment president Kevin Reilly), will protect his baby, so its a pretty safe bet that AOL's 8 week tryout at 10:00 pm will be bulletproof. Oh well.

Hey I got no problem giving 'Heroes' that 9:00 p.m. spot in place of the highly rated "TBA", or even 8:00 if I had no choice (and consider less likely). Doesn't Heroes get good demographics? Work it NBC, Work it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF /forum/post/0

I still have the last 12 episodes on my HD DVR, and would love the chance to rewatch the season in HD before the next starts, but I don't really expect NBC to reair them. After all, that's what we've been hearing so much over the last 2 or 3 years: "Serials don't repeat well." The show will be out on DVD and HD DVD on August 28, nearly a month before Season 2 starts, so chances are you'll have to wait for that.

Well there's some new blood at NBC, who might enjoy a good lead-in to his own AOL show, if we're lucky. Ben, follow the money!

Rocky, gimme a break here.
You want me to wait for the disks?? That shoots 1/2 of June, and all of July and August straight to Hell, and only a month until Volume 2 hits. My way we get a steady feed of the good stuff!

Palladin

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ressom /forum/post/0

Why would they re-air them when they will be comming to DVD/HD DVD this August?

1) Plenty of people don't even know its coming out on disk.

2) Plenty of people don't know how much they're going to charge for those disks, as no price has been set.

3) NBC is a benevolent despot that wishes to distract us, while crushing us down with its thumb for disloyalty.

Palladin

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I would watch it, but would be hesitant after what happened with Lost. I missed the first season so I started watching it during the summer. But they started skipping episodes; I was so pissed I gave up on the show and haven't watched since.

·
Registered
467 Posts

Quote:

1) Plenty of people don't even know its coming out on disk.

Nowadays, who doesn't know that a popular show will come out on DVD before the next season. 24, Lost, House, 4400, BSG, etc...

Quote:

2) Plenty of people don't know how much they're going to charge for those disks, as no price has been set.

$38.99 for the DVD set, $69.99 for the HD-DVD set via amazon.

Quote:

3) NBC is a benevolent despot that wishes to distract us, while crushing us down with its thumb for disloyalty.

I won't disagree with that.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ressom /forum/post/0

$38.99 for the DVD set, $69.99 for the HD-DVD set via amazon.

Last time I read an article about it, pricing had not yet been set.

Almost double for the HD version, huh?

Well then I definitely want them to show all first season episodes in HD, and throw 'em onto the DVR.

Ah, I'll probably end up buying it anyway, just for the original pilot ep in HD.

Oh, and still would like to be able to watch 'em before September.

Palladin

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'd be a taker, 'er watcher. In fact I've been trying to find out if NBC will re-air them over the summer. I did not watch Heroes last year but would like to start fresh in the fall after catching up on season 1 this summer. I will not under any circumstances buy the SD or HD DVDs. Just not my style.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Well, Hipnotiq, that's one of the big problems with serials for the past several years. CSI is an example of a procedural, in which each episode is a self contained story, so someone can sit down and watch an episode in any order. Heroes on the other hand, is very serialized, basically every episode end with a "too be continued" so if it is rerun, the whole season needs to be rerun in order. It is just a fact, backed up by ratings, that serialized shows don't repeat well. I don't think that it because people don't want to see the shows again though, otherwise the DVD sets wouldn't sell so well.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF /forum/post/0

After all, that's what we've been hearing so much over the last 2 or 3 years: "Serials don't repeat well."

In all fairness to NBC they have shown reruns of most episodes with mini-marathons on Saturday Nights. I think they have a feel for how rerun's of the show would do. At least they tried it, but other networks (CBS with Jericho for example) didn't even try.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I cannot imagine why someone would want to watch CSI 1 time much less the same episode 2x

·
Registered
420 Posts
I didn't watch Heroes this season because there were other new shows (all off the air) that I was more interested in. I have been checking NBC's website for the re-run season and plan to record them if they air. I don't have an HD DVD player and am not going to buy one for a show I don't evenknow I would like (if it came out on blu-ray then I would rent the season from Blockbuster). I may rent the regular DVD version if it comes out in enough time for me to catch-up.

However if they re-run them in order, I will watch them and then if I lke the show they will add a viewer for Season 2.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
nope, already got my dvd set... HD and NO commercials

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.