AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to know what is a good hertz to set the cross over at?

70, 80,100, 120? What setting do you use on your sub? Well at least for movies watching preference :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
It all depends on variables such as:

speaker

speaker size

speaker tuning

sub

sub size

sub tuning

room

etc.

Need more info...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
When I had only one sub and bad room response, I had the crossover set to 40hz. Now that I have dual subs with good room respose, my crossover is set to 80hz.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
The general rule is that you set the crossover to 1.5 times the point your main speakers roll off. Therefore if your speakers go down to 50HZ your optimal crossover should be close to 80HZ.

Ian ;)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I have the pwr level set 75% and crossover set to about 80hz.

My towers go down to 65hz, but I have my amp set at 80hz also.

:D

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Your last post concerns me - if you are using the bass management in your receiver and the sub is connected to the sub-out or LFE port on the receiver, then you should NOT be using the crossover on the sub amp. You should disable it (if possible) or just set it all the way up to the highest value so that it is above the receiver set value. There is no reason to have the crossover on the sub if you are using the crossover in the receiver.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
Your last post concerns me
Ditto. :eek:

But then again, so did the 1st...

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
Your last post concerns me - if you are using the bass management in your receiver and the sub is connected to the sub-out or LFE port on the receiver, then you should NOT be using the crossover on the sub amp. You should disable it (if possible) or just set it all the way up to the highest value so that it is above the receiver set value. There is no reason to have the crossover on the sub if you are using the crossover in the receiver.
I also agree. Setting your subs crossover all the up will alow it to default to the receivers cross or you will be double filtering and changing the over all FR. Also what is your line level set at? A 75% gain is usually high for most good subs.

Ian :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.