AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The build is on! Just picked up materials from Lowe's, now for the long building process. The SAF184.03 is out of stock everywhere I looked, so I had to go with the SAN184.03. Both handle in a similar manner in the Mini Devastator. The design for the Mini Devastator is found here - The Devastator Index

Attachments

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think the guy missed 48.5".... At least the tallest panel is 40", so I can work around this.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I think the guy missed 48.5".... At least the tallest panel is 40", so I can work around this.

Wow, thats bad. I watched them measure on mine. Wasn’t perfect, but nothing like that.
At least you have an extra half sheet to work with.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thats bad. I watched them measure on mine. Wasn’t perfect, but nothing like that.
At least you have an extra half sheet to work with.
Chris

The nice thing with the Mini is not being 48" tall, if it were 48" tall I would have to custom adjust the design. I can still get 2x 24" wide pieces that are greater than 40" out of each half :) I still have some Stormbreaker scraps for bracing if it comes to it.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
He's dead Jim, he turned the knob to 11 - A Mini Devastator Build

The nice thing with the Mini is not being 48" tall, if it were 48" tall I would have to custom adjust the design. I can still get 2x 24" wide pieces that are greater than 40" out of each half :) I still have some Stormbreaker scraps for bracing if it comes to it.

And here I was wishing it was 48” tall, would perfectly match my 96” horizontal screen. ;)

I wouldn’t worry about being short on material, I had plenty of scraps. And you have a half sheet of extra anyway.

Chris

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And here I was wishing it was 48” tall, would perfectly match my 96” horizontal screen. ;)

I wouldn’t worry about being short on material, I had plenty of scraps. And you have a half sheet of extra anyway.

Chris

I was thinking about doing that, only adds 1.5 ish cubic feet to the rear chamber and pushes the front resonator response down. I would call it a full Devastator lol. It would be nice if a 21" could work in it.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I was thinking about doing that, only adds 1.5 ish cubic feet to the rear chamber and pushes the front resonator response down. I would call it a full Devastator lol. It would be nice if a 21" could work in it.

Apparently I should have asked BEFORE I built mine, lol.

Then again, I just swapped them and will probably swap them back depending on measurements. I think they’re heavy enough.

Chris

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently I should have asked BEFORE I built mine, lol.

Then again, I just swapped them and will probably swap them back depending on measurements. I think they’re heavy enough.

Chris

After wrangling Stormbreaker (40x30x24) up the steps something smaller all of a sudden sounded like a great idea lol. The wife is game for me getting the speakers behind the screen. Which would make room for two more Mini Devs someday :)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
After wrangling Stormbreaker (40x30x24) up the steps something smaller all of a sudden sounded like a great idea lol. The wife is game for me getting the speakers behind the screen. Which would make room for two more Mini Devs someday :)

More cones! More powah! More Output!
Chris

·
Registered
374 Posts
And here I am also wanting something to replace the V3611s in front of my screen. Issue is, I can't go taller than ~23".

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And here I am also wanting something to replace the V3611s in front of my screen. Issue is, I can't go taller than ~23".

How deep can you go? An 18" can easily fit in 23" wide.

·
Registered
374 Posts
How deep can you go? An 18" can easily fit in 23" wide.
I could go deeper, the V3611s are 25"D x 20"W x 44"H. Thing is, they are hard to beat in this form factor; quad 18"s, 3,800rms, 8,600max, tuned to 16Hz. As crazy as it sounds, I was thinking quad 24"s mounted firing up with ports facing forward. The box design could be like Life of Bliss' and hold the RC64 center.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A lot more progress than anticipated! Took a half hour at my buddies cabinet shop to cut the MDF.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

A lot more progress than anticipated! Took a half hour at my buddies cabinet shop to cut the MDF.

Showoff ;)

Nothing like a professional shop to make it go smoothly.

At this rate I expect to hear your listening impressions tomorrow.
:D

Chris

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Showoff ;)

Nothing like a professional shop to make it go smoothly.

At this rate I expect to hear your listening impressions tomorrow.
:D

Chris

We have odd stuff going on tonight, tomorrow night I am stopping by my other buddies shop. His response "So you saved us the hard stuff." this was after I sent him the pictures. Getting the baffle cutout perfect was the tricky part on the last build and he remembers that lol.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since Home Depot is a long drive for paint, I am looking at this. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

We have odd stuff going on tonight, tomorrow night I am stopping by my other buddies shop. His response "So you saved us the hard stuff." this was after I sent him the pictures. Getting the baffle cutout perfect was the tricky part on the last build and he remembers that lol.

If you don’t have a jasper jig, you really should get one.
https://www.amazon.com/Jasper-200J-...cle+jig&qid=1572454475&sprefix=jasper+&sr=8-3

Made my baffle cutout a 10 minute job. Find center of panel, measure down from top for driver offset. Drill 1/8 hole, and run the cut.

It’s been a handy tool for years, but recently splurging on the dewalt 20v router and plunge base made it really fast and simple.

Chris

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you don’t have a jasper jig, you really should get one.
https://www.amazon.com/Jasper-200J-...cle+jig&qid=1572454475&sprefix=jasper+&sr=8-3

Made my baffle cutout a 10 minute job. Find center of panel, measure down from top for driver offset. Drill 1/8 hole, and run the cut.

Chris

I do not have a router, just a variable speed jigsaw with an orbital action. It is very precise, but it takes a bit to make the cut. The holes are smaller this round lol.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

I do not have a router, just a variable speed jigsaw with an orbital action. It is very precise, but it takes a bit to make the cut. The holes are smaller this round lol.

Ahh, well that makes it more difficult.
I couldn’t function without one, I like round-overs way too much.

Luckily not too small, I hate cutting tight radius’ with a jigsaw.

Chris

1 - 20 of 263 Posts