14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm quite hesitant between 3 receivers.

Prices in canadian dollars...

Pioneer VSX 9130 at 800$

HK AVR354 at 900$

Marentz SR5003 at 1000$

I also tried a Yamaha with the same speakers as the Marentz and prefered the Marentz... speakers were Focal 714V.

I first wanted to but the HK but the sellers both discouraged me. One even had the HK and the Pioneer and still pushed me towards the Pioneer. He said it had more features and would produce better video quality. The other seller did not sell the HK, but he looked at the specs and said it's overrated for the price, he showed me a Yamaha with similar specs with Paradigm and Focal speakers. It was alright. Then I tried the same Focal speakers with the Marentz and liked it.

My main problem is I have no idea which of these receivers is better and there's no way for me to lsiten to them side by side since none of the sellers have the 3 receivers. Looking at the specs... they seem quite similar, unless I'm missing something???

Anyone has any experience and adive with these? I'm also open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just bought and received the HK 354 last week. It can be purchased for much less than $900 depending on where you are. If you get serious about buying it, read the two threads on this forum so that you know about the bugs/upgrades, etc. I don't know anything about the other two you mentioned.

I do like my HK so far.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
 Accessories4Less ships to Canada and the prices are much better than what you've quoted above.

You'll have to pay your import fees and shipping can get a bit steep but you'll probably save some bucks over what you can get in Canada.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any online store that sells Harman Kardon in Canada?

I looked on ebay and found an alright deal on the AVR 254... only problem is I don't know if the shipping method the store uses will make me avoid paying border fees.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc0bar /forum/post/16949223

Is there any online store that sells Harman Kardon in Canada?

I looked on ebay and found an alright deal on the AVR 254... only problem is I don't know if the shipping method the store uses will make me avoid paying border fees.

Future Shop sells HK online. There's no way you can avoid paying Canadian taxes, GST and PST. All the Delivery Companies will pass a parcel that large through Customs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a local futureshop, but they're kinda lame... AVR 354 at 850$. They have none left. AVR 354 Demo at 800$, I don't really mind.

I ask the guy to make sure he has everything in the box.. he does not have the Ipod Dock which comes with the AVR354 and he expects me to pay the same 800$. At 600 or 650, sure. But I would not play 800$ for a demo without the ipod dock when they sold new items with a compelte package for 850$ the week before.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
If you have a friend in the US you might get them to bid on one of Harman Audio's auctions for a 254 or 354 AVR. You'll have to pay the import fees but you should be able to save a load of cash.

How about ebay.ca? Do they have any listings for the AVRs you are looking at?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I,ll wither go with a Denon 688 and change it in a couple years or with a Pioneer 919.

Anyone got comments about the 919's sound quality? How does it compare to the Denon? The main advantage I see with the Pioneer is the HDMI has video and audio and there's the ipod connection integrated. It's 500$ instead of 300$ for the Denon but if it lasts a couple more years it'll be just as good. My only concern with Pioneer is the sound quality.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ebay.ca has a few, but they all come from the US with large shipping cost. With the border fee, it's pretty much the same price I'd get in Canada and I'm not sure the warranty on a US product is valid in Canada.

Anyone has thoughts about the Denon and Pioneer?

·
Registered
685 Posts
In Winnipeg, I have seen the Marantz 5003 for $899 with the second zone remote. See if any Futureshops near you have the Denon 989 left. I was able to get one for $799 (open box but included everything) and I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just picked up a brand new Marantz SR6003 from Amazon (via 6ave) for $687. Look into that. Not sure what it'll cost you to have it shipped to Canada though. Good luck!

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashergill /forum/post/16967745

Just picked up a brand new Marantz SR6003 from Amazon (via 6ave) for $687. Look into that. Not sure what it'll cost you to have it shipped to Canada though. Good luck!

Nice deal! Thats cheaper than I've seen them for refurbished.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashergill /forum/post/16967745

Amazon won't ship receivers to Canada.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK /forum/post/16969773

Amazon won't ship receivers to Canada.

The deal I found is really through 6ave - they sell on Amazon as well. Anyway, I called 6ave and they were happy to match their Amazon price, of course. You might try that and see if they'll ship to Canada.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts