AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, this is pathetic. I only got to see about 12 minutes of this film before we left our hotel. The stand-out scene was a young boy hiding in a big tub (a washtub of some sort?). He is running out of air so a beautiful girl takes a deep breath, puts her head into the water, and blows air into the mouth of the still-hiding boy. Not much to go on...but hope springs eternal.

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
366 Posts
That movie is called A Chinese Ghost Story Part 1. It is from 1987, produced by Tsui Hark and directed Ching Siu Tung AKA Tony Ching. It stars the late Leslie Chung, the beautiful Joey Wong and Wu Ma. This film is considered a Classic of the Hong Kong New Wave.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
He beat me to it!! This is a don't miss movie for fans of the genre. Also there are two sequels/remakes :) which aren't quite as good but still fun. Also, try The Bride With White Hair.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow, you guys are good. How about this one? I remember seeing a preview for it a couple of years ago before Fellowship of the Ring, some crazy looking Kung Fu/fantasy/Chinese Legend kind of thing. I remember thinking the title was Zu Warriors or something like that, but was never able to find it again at a theatre. I can never seem to find it on Netflix, either. Was it ever released here?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Zoo: Warriors of the Mystic Mountain? I think.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by getme
Zoo: Warriors of the Mystic Mountain? I think.
Actually, Zu: Warriors of the Mystic Mountain. He was right on the "Zu" part! :)

Not as good as the others mentioned IMO but still fun. It's credited in most circles as the film that introduced modern special effects to Asian cinema (it was made around 1980), earning Tsui Hark the title of "The Steven Spielberg of Hong Kong!" :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
Actually, Zu: Warriors of the Mystic Mountain. He was right on the "Zu" part! :)

Not as good as the others mentioned IMO but still fun. It's credited in most circles as the film that introduced modern special effects to Asian cinema (it was made around 1980), earning Tsui Hark the title of "The Steven Spielberg of Hong Kong!" :D
Actually Fred the one that Mark Lareu is refering to is the remake of Zu Warrior from the Magic Mountain that Tsui Hark made in 2001. It is called the Legend of Zu and Miramax was one of the co-producers. At one time Miramax were thinking of releasing it on the U.S. theaters and previews for it were shown. But as you know with Miramax and the way they treat Asian film nothing ever came of it and they are still sitting on that film.

The movie is available on DVD from Hong Kong and it is an excellent DVD with a kick ass DTS soundtrack. Unfortunately the movie itself is not that great but if you are a fan of this type of Asian fantasy then it is worth a look. The DVD is availlable here at hivizone for $12 and A Chinese Ghost story DVD for $5.50

https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/title/main_frame.htm

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alberich
Actually Fred the one that Mark Lareu is refering to is the remake that Tsui Hark made in 2001. It is called the Legend of Zu and Miramax was one of the co-producers.

https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/title/main_frame.htm
Ah, OK!! That makes more sense then, because there did seem to be some implication that the trailer had been in theaters somewhat recently and that had me wondering. I had no idea that there was a remake of Zu! I'll have to check that out...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alberich
I just wanted to add a little more about The Legend of Zu. Miramax changed the tittle of the movie to Zu Warriors and you can see their trailer here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/zu_warriors.html
That's the one! Thanks all. Just thought it looked cool from the preview and wondered what happend to it. Now I know: Miramax happened to it!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
He beat me to it!! This is a don't miss movie for fans of the genre. Also there are two sequels/remakes :) which aren't quite as good but still fun.
And also the Tsui Hark-produced animated version of the story, which is sort of fun, but not remotely as good as the original (which at more than 15 times is the one film I've seen most times at the movies).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.