AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Config: 5.2.4; Receiver: Denon AVR-X4700h, Display: LG OLED55C7P; Speakers: MartinLogan
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been gone from here for a long, LONG time now due to work and such. Last night I met up with Shram and I was inspired to take the time to take a look around.

As luck would have it, I came across some information that seems contradictory to me, and I was wondering if anyone here would be able to clarify somethings for me.

The PS3 is supposed to be able to provide 1080p output through its HDMI connectors. Because I am close to getting a new TV I wanted to make sure that I got one that would be able to handle most things I would want to throw it (figuratively). :) So I was looking around the web today for 1080p sets, and I was noticing that all the sets that I saw clearly indicated that the accepted 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i, but NOT 1080p. I did some very quick research and it appears that some of the HDMI controllers don't have the correct firmware yet to accept 1080p.

My question is, does anyone here know who makes 1080p sets that not only produce their visuals in 1080p, but also accept 1080p signals? Thanks for the info, its nice to be back. :)

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
There are very few at this point. However, right now and this fall is when they are supposed to start hitting the market place more and more. You are probably better off going with a cheaper set, or waiting a few months for multiple choices to hit the market and some user reviews to trickle in.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
General speculation as well as one coment from Sony is that the majority of games will be 720P.

There are a several REALLY nice 720P sets out there to choose from, 1080P is probably not going to be worth it until there are many Blu-Ray/HDDVD movies to take advantage of it.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Yes, the flood of 1080p sets is coming and the competition should be good to drive prices down.. It is really to early to know what software will support 1080p, but as time goes on I imagine more and more (still probably not a majority of titles for 1080p though) will support 720p and 1080i/p, early on though probably not much. Though I did read that one game "Heavenly Sword" is aiming for 1080p already.

this is taken from Sony's press release..Personally I don't think 1080p will look significantly better than 1080i as I don't see 480p as being significantly better than 480i.. then again it depends on the type of display as well.

"PS3 supports high quality display in resolution of 1080p(*) as standard, which is far superior to 720p/1080i."

http://www.us.playstation.com/PressReleases.aspx?id=279

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I'd just wait around for a 1080p set, and wait for them to get the kinks out yet, since it's a new technology.

1080p would be nice, but i'd wait and see how things turn out first, since these new sets are bound to have problems with HDMI and what not.

We will just have to wait for the TGS next month to see what sony has to say more about the PS3.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
There you are, I was trying to remember your screen name as I only knew your gamertag. Now I have it. I wouldn't sweat 1080p sets. I highly doubt that many if not very few titles will truly render in 1080p on the PS3. Plus, any display device that supports 1080p is high end right now. Just get a nice 720p device and you'll be set for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawil
I've been gone from here for a long, LONG time now due to work and such. Last night I met up with Shram and I was inspired to take the time to take a look around.

As luck would have it, I came across some information that seems contradictory to me, and I was wondering if anyone here would be able to clarify somethings for me.

The PS3 is supposed to be able to provide 1080p output through its HDMI connectors. Because I am close to getting a new TV I wanted to make sure that I got one that would be able to handle most things I would want to throw it (figuratively). :) So I was looking around the web today for 1080p sets, and I was noticing that all the sets that I saw clearly indicated that the accepted 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i, but NOT 1080p. I did some very quick research and it appears that some of the HDMI controllers don't have the correct firmware yet to accept 1080p.

My question is, does anyone here know who makes 1080p sets that not only produce their visuals in 1080p, but also accept 1080p signals? Thanks for the info, its nice to be back. :)

·
Registered
Config: 5.2.4; Receiver: Denon AVR-X4700h, Display: LG OLED55C7P; Speakers: MartinLogan
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
 Yeah, it looks like I'll just have to deal with a regular DLP. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.