AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Thanks for anyone taking the time to read my post here.  

I'm close to being done "finishing" my basement and will be setting up living room/entertainment type room for watching movies, listening to music, and just hanging out in general.  It's not necessarily a dedicated "home theater."  I'm not looking to break my bank account here, but I want the best setup I can get for the money I spend.  I plan on running a 5.2 setup with dual subs from SVS.  I havent decided on which subs yet (leaning toward dual PC12-NSD) but they will be dual SVS for sure, that much I've decided on.  As far as the speakers, I actually had decided to give the BIC Acoustech line a try.  Ordered the PL-89s, PL-28 and PL-66s.  Received them in the mail a few days ago, and honestly was fairly disappointed.  I just didn't like the sound that was coming out, particularly from the tweeter.  It seems overpowering and at the same time, lacks the clarity and "airiness" if that's a word.  They seemed like they might be pretty good for TV and movies, as the vocals and everything was coming through loud and clear.  But for music, I just didn't like the blaring vocals, which seemed too loud and lacking that delicate touch.  I know that giving the speakers break-in time and adjusting EQ settings, etc would probably have provided me with some improvement, but after a few hard days of deliberation, I decided these just weren't the speakers I was looking for.  I'm no audiophile, but out of all the speakers I've had, these probably sound the worst to me right out of the box, even compared to cheaper speakers I've had.  I will see if I can return them or even possibly resell them, and I'm ready to try again!

Basically, I'm not too worried about a low end, because the dual SVS subs will more than handle that area.  I really want the best mids and clear airy (but not overpowering) highs I can get for my modest budget.  For my main fronts I don't want to spend much over $500 and I'd say my limit would be $1000, and then ideally a matching center and surrounds as well.  I'm also fairly selective about asthetics, and which ever speakers I choose are going to dictate how I will decorate the rest of the room (wall colors, furniture, carpet, etc).  I've been looking into the Fluance XL series, dark walnut color to be exact.  I know these are not the best speakers but for the price they seem like they might be hard to beat.  They've got some pretty good professional reviews and as far as looks I think they're gorgeous.  But I'm open to suggestions for some of the best speakers in my price range?  I should also mention my room in 12 x 26 with a fairly low ceiling, and my usage will be about 50/50 music and movies.  As far as an AVR, I plan on picking up a 7.2... like possibly the Onkyo TX-NR626.

For anyone who read all of that, thanks for your time and any input is appreciated! 

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
The BICs are considered a good price/performance value because they play very loud for the money, not for their SQ. With a bigger budget, there are certainly much better sounding speakers.

There is a good deal on Focal Chorus 717V and the CC701 center . You'd have to find some 705V or 706V from another source.

EMP Tek makes some nice towers and has matching components.

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1519938/hey-guys-advice-please-trying-to-make-speaker-selections#post_24410889

The BICs are considered a good price/performance value because they play very loud for the money, not for their SQ. With a bigger budget, there are certainly much better sounding speakers.

Yeah I notice that now.  I had thought the high sensitivity would be a good thing, but they seemed a little too "loud," and probably overkill for my medium size room.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL000  /t/1519938/hey-guys-advice-please-trying-to-make-speaker-selections#post_24410943

Yeah I notice that now.  I had thought the high sensitivity would be a good thing, but they seemed a little too "loud," and probably overkill for my medium size room.

Most people don't need that. If speakers sound REALLY good, they are very pleasant at more moderate volumes and make us very happy

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1519938/hey-guys-advice-please-trying-to-make-speaker-selections#post_24410889

There is a good deal on Focal Chorus 717V and the CC701 center . You'd have to find some 705V or 706V from another source.

EMP Tek makes some nice towers and has matching components.
Focal 705V in black

ListenUp is a great vendor, they have some Focal stuff . The on wall SR700V is the only thing that's in stock for surrounds etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the links.  I'm checking out everything and reading lots of different reviews.  A couple other I'm interested in are the KEF Q700 and the PSB T5.  They're up into the higher end of my price range, or even a little over in regards to the KEF, but I'd be willing to go there for a significant increase in performance.  Anybody have thoughts on those two speakers?  

Another question I have is, how much of a benefit is there in a speaker going above 20kh on the high end?  Does it make a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL000  /t/1519938/hey-guys-advice-please-trying-to-make-speaker-selections#post_24411819

Another question I have is, how much of a benefit is there in a speaker going above 20kh on the high end?  Does it make a noticeable difference?

How old are you? Most men as they get older can't hear that high. Even if you can hear that high, I would doubt that it would add anything to the audio quality experience--but it has been a while since I could hear that well

Look at this chart (it's interactive; use your mouse), and you'll see that with music, it will not matter. Then again, maybe it's important that your speakers accurately reproduce the full range of a mosquito's buzz

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1519938/hey-guys-advice-please-trying-to-make-speaker-selections#post_24411849

How old are you? Most men as they get older can't hear that high. Even if you can hear that high, I would doubt that it would add anything to the audio quality experience--but it has been a while since I could hear that well

Look at this chart (it's interactive; use your mouse), and you'll see that with music, it will not matter. Then again, maybe it's important that your speakers accurately reproduce the full range of a mosquito's buzz

Lol.  I know the limit of human hearing is 20kh, well... maybe about 23kh for me!  But "they" say that a speaker that goes above that (up to 30 or 40kh), even though you can't actually hear those frequencies, it add a crispness to the high end.  But yeah I'm guessing if there is any noticeable difference, it's negligible. 

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
"They" say all kinds of things about home audio. People here don't worry about that--well, except for Bose speakers which have no tweeter. LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB30  /t/1519938/hey-guys-advice-please-trying-to-make-speaker-selections#post_24413549

I had the same experience with the BIC FH6-LCR, just loud with bad SQ. I have the Pioneer Andrew Jones 1st gen center, MUCH better than the BIC.

Yeah I really wanted to love my Bics, but it just wasn't meant to be.  Now I'm racking my brain trying to choose their replacement.  I want to place an order by tomorrow.  Still leaning toward to Fluance XL7F for $450 a pair, but looking at a few speakers double that price... wondering how much improvement I'll get for double the money.  Would the PSB T5 or the KEF Q700 or even the Boston Acoustic M340 be a lot better than the Fluances?

·
Registered
19,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL000  /t/1519938/hey-guys-advice-please-trying-to-make-speaker-selections#post_24414099

Still leaning toward to Fluance XL7F for $450 a pair, but looking at a few speakers double that price... wondering how much improvement I'll get for double the money.  Would the PSB T5 or the KEF Q700 or even the Boston Acoustic M340 be a lot better than the Fluances?
I would aim higher than the Fluance

The Bostom M340 - buy one and get one free, is hard to over-look

PSB and KEF are also decent.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Some of the guys here switched me from wanting the BIC set to getting a set of ARX speakers (the A3rx-c LR and the A2rx-c C) found at chanemusiccinema.com

I can honestly say I'm glad they did! The speakers sound great, the customer service has been out of this world (Jon, the end-all-be-all speaker guru/wizard/magician/etc. helped me out with the order process personally)!

You should definitely snoop around their website. The A5's won the $1000 speaker shootout on hometheatershack.com, and John said the A3's are constructed to the same standards, so I think you'll be impressed. There are rumors (not to stir the pot) that Jon may be working on a dedicated surround/surround-back option (rather than look at the A1's), but I am definitely not a person to quote on the matter...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1519938/hey-guys-advice-please-trying-to-make-speaker-selections#post_24414142

The Bostom M340 - buy one and get one free, is hard to over-look

Yeah I'm really tempted with that!  And if you guy a pair of towers (buy 1 get 1) they will give you a pretty good deal on a center and surrounds.  I was talking to live chat and they are offering me a pretty good discount.  That being said, the Boston Acoustics would still cost me more than I was planning on spending!  Wondering if they are really worth the money...

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1519938/hey-guys-advice-please-trying-to-make-speaker-selections#post_24411891

Monitor Audio Silver RX-1 in rosenut, or walnut
http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/monitor_special.htm

For a little more the RX-2

I prefer Monitor Audio over PSB

If you are getting a subwoofer, bookshelves will work fine

These would be a great choice, but he'll have trouble finding the center to match.

·
Registered
19,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash  /t/1519938/hey-guys-advice-please-trying-to-make-speaker-selections#post_24414948

These would be a great choice, but he'll have trouble finding the center to match.

Just buy another pair and use one as a center channel - it will be cheaper and sound better

than the regular center channel - and if any problems, you do have that spare speaker.

·
Registered
19,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL000  /t/1519938/hey-guys-advice-please-trying-to-make-speaker-selections#post_24414926

Yeah I'm really tempted with that!  And if you guy a pair of towers (buy 1 get 1) they will give you a pretty good deal on a center and surrounds.  I was talking to live chat and they are offering me a pretty good discount.  That being said, the Boston Acoustics would still cost me more than I was planning on spending!  Wondering if they are really worth the money...

Well, somebody replaced their Sonus Faber Cremona speakers with them.

Your call

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well it's seems quite difficult to find many decent reviews on any of the Boston Acoustic M series speakers.  So that's a big jump for me to take (and a decent chunk of change) without much to go on.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts