AVS Forum banner

12501 - 12520 of 12774 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm still waiting for the volt 10s to come back in stock before upgrading my fusion 12's to a 3 way design. Still kicking myself for not ordering them on the last round. Silly me for wanting to wait couple weeks until I actually had the cash. :rolleyes: It is exciting to see some three way designs coming to the site. They will make a nice upgrade to what I have with hopefully enough punch to make me stop thinking about building mid bass modules.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hard to comprehend more speakers to the line up, when it seems tough to keep ones you have already in stock.:confused:
I know Erich is trying to rectify this situation. Sometimes it's not his fault that certain parts or speakers are simply out of stock. He has been working with manufactures to secure larger quantities of special order speakers lately, think 1099 black woofers and mids. He's also had the issue of the parts being shipped overseas and there being a dock workers strike. Hopefully things will start changing and he is able to keep things in stock for longer periods of time. Hard to do so when you don't have a lot of available capital to purchase larger quantities of product for a range of products.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know Erich is trying to rectify this situation. ... Hard to do so when you don't have a lot of available capital
It is almost literally unbelievable how much work and money Mr. H. puts into things. Really quite impressive and inspiring. Always fun to see what comes next, even if I don't have the budget to build two of everything!

I can't shake the thought that maybe a few "all [or "almost all," but that wouldn't completely eliminate the risk of stock problems] parts available from Parts Express and elsewhere" pay-for-protected-IP (Say, $20 or so? $50?) designs might help put some money in the ol' DIYSG R&D&Beer coffers -- especially since the SEOS 12 is available at PE. Maybe a low-cost, budget driver generic updated-Econowave model, and a high cost, fancy-name-brand-driver model?

I'd _volunteer_ to take care of stocking and sending out (paper or email, either) XOs/designs/instructions bought through DIYSG.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Things do go out of stock, but that doesn't mean more kits shouldn't be done. If anything it will be better to get more variety because if one thing goes out of stock due to a part, there are 5 other choices.

The Volt's are very close to staying in stock all the time. I've got 180 compression drivers coming by air and will be here in a few days. Then another 500 on a shipping container that will be here in about 1.5 months.....that will keep those in stock for a while. :D I got in hundreds of crossover boards for the Volts too. The other hard part is getting the inductors. PE carries the ERSE models we need, but it takes ERSE a long time to get them back in stock. PE will say 'Due April -5"......I wait. Then it will say 'Due April 15".......wait.....'Due April 25'......wait.....Now they are saying 'Due May 01.'

I had a feeling that was going to happen so I ordered 100 directly from ERSE 2.5 weeks ago, but who knows when those will be here. Then ordered 80 from Meniscus that will hopefully be here in a week. And when PE gets them in stock, I will clear them out as well. If all goes well I should have a few hundred in a couple weeks.

And to be 100% sure I'm going to put another order into Eminence for more Volt 10 coaxials. I've got a lot right now, but it takes 7 weeks to get them produced, so I want to order early to be sure.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm definitely excited for more designs. I really appreciate all the effort Erich puts in to this site. I'm still surprised he doesn't charge more even if its just for his time. An extra 10% would still make these speakers an incredible deal.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I think one sure way to help Erich, that he's asked for, is to provide good information on posts for product info, instructables, reviews.

Also pain points are customizations ("Can I have the kit with no horn?"), lack of follow-through on pre-orders.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Erich
So we should be able to order some Volt 10"s soon ?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Quick Update and photos on a New Speaker!

I don't normally like to post too much info about upcoming projects, but this is a something I've been wanting to get started for a long time. Different ideas for this speaker were floating around for about 1.5 years until I finally gave up looking for off the shelf parts and decided to go a different route. Couldn't find woofers that would work, or a waveguide......so new things needed to be made. :D

This took quite a bit of work to get to this point, but I'm happy to say that the 1099's little brother is now in the works.

My goal was an 8 ohm speaker using 8" woofers that could do 70hz in a smaller sealed enclosure or 'full range' in a tower and get down in the mid 30's. Eminence offered to help out and I got some different samples made up. One seemed to have a good mix of power handling, X-max, frequency response, and would work in a sealed or ported box. So it's finally time to get this little beast started.

To me this is a great sized speaker. Roughly 10.5" x 28" and I believe about 12" deep. That's even a nice size for a regular living room. Get out a tape measure because this bugger is smaller than it looks, but should put out some big sound.

Teaser photos:

And the must have.....a rotating mid section so a center channel can be built.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
More info on the 1099's little brother:

All of this has just started to come together and will still take a little time to be done. Forum member Tuxedocivic (designer of the 1099) will be handling the design on this one as well. I just worked on the flat pack last weekend and need to send him the parts.

I ordered a bunch of the mids today because they're not a stocked item and are only built to order in larger numbers. I will be ordering the 8" woofers this week. I was told the mids will take about 80-90 days to get here, woofers will take about 50 days. My guess is that Tux will have the designs done by the time the woofers show up and I will have time to get all the crossover parts and flat packs made up. There might be a preorder set up after the 8" woofers get here, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Around these parts most say nothing is overkill. I'd actually agree this time, they should make a good surround provided the vertical coverage isn't to limited. I'll have to see what can be done about that.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Can I ask a technical question regarding the design of this model. Is there a specific reason why you would use (2) side by side midranges in this new model ? I assume it's to get the sensitivity up ? But doesn't that come at a cost of coverage pattern and directivity ? and the million dollar question- is that seemingly worth it rather than using a single midrange in 3way - or a bigger CD/lower XO ? Where does the benefit of the dual mids side by side come into play?

(I don't mean to be questioning the design, I really want to know what the thinking is going into it).

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Its been discussed before, but here's the brief reasoning.

- sensitivity
- low height / baffle real estate
- directivity match
- bandwidth

A large mid basically doesn't fit on the baffle properly and a single small one doesn't have directicity or sensitivity.

12501 - 12520 of 12774 Posts