AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah, I'm sure you're bored stiff to hear some other RTVpatch success story. I helped a friend upgrade a Showstopper with a failing OEM hard drive.

Boy, this utility sure is easy to use! Especially after FlipFlop added the GUI front end.

But, what makes it almost interesting is that yes, I have run the program before, back when I was debugging various versions of it, and yes, I've actually had it write to a hard drive or two, but:

This was the first time I've ever been in the room when RTVPatch was used on a drive that was subsequently placed inside a real ReplayTV.

Only downside is that up till now, I somewhat enjoyed my status of being one of the original RTVPatch developers, without ever actually using it.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
As a software developer, let me see if I got this right... You actually used a piece of software you helped to develop? WOW! You are one in a million!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. That's about it.

I know it's a serious breach of the unwritten rules.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
We're very very disappointed in you, toots.

Any steam iron stories to tell?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just upgraded my fifth replaytv using the patch. Things couldn't go any smoother with it! I used it for three of mine, and two for friends.

I guess the only question that I still have is, will the replaytv 5xxx's support dual-drive upgrades anytime, or is there a limitation in the 5xxx hardware/software that prevents that?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zaphod357
I just upgraded my fifth replaytv using the patch. Things couldn't go any smoother with it! I used it for three of mine, and two for friends.

I guess the only question that I still have is, will the replaytv 5xxx's support dual-drive upgrades anytime, or is there a limitation in the 5xxx hardware/software that prevents that?
Short answer:

We don't know.

Long answer:

We really have no f%^$ing clue.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
Short answer:

We don't know.

Long answer:

We really have no f%^$ing clue.
Heathriel, looking at his question, you could have just answered "yes" ;)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Hey toots, I can't believe that kenl hasn't posted in this thread. He's really gone, no? (Of course, he's got some kind of bot that searches for instances of his name, so I wouldn't be too shocked if he showed up after this post, but that proves nothing.)

·
Registered
478 Posts
We need his old rival BrettStah to come pay a visit, I think ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
Heathriel, looking at his question, you could have just answered "yes" ;)
Actually, I believe Heathriel is correct, that we really have no f*(%ing clue whether there is a hardware/software limitation or not. But hey, with a 200 GB upgrade plus DVArchive, isn't the dual drive upgrade a little moot at this point?

BTW, I've used RTVPatch about six times now, and I only own 1 5xxx. Thank the maker! (or makers)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OwenScott
Actually, I believe Heathriel is correct, that we really have no f*(%ing clue whether there is a hardware/software limitation or not. But hey, with a 200 GB upgrade plus DVArchive, isn't the dual drive upgrade a little moot at this point?
Take a look at the original question again and see if, based on your own belief as expressed in your own post, the answer isn't still 'yes' ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Take a look at the original question again and see if, based on your own belief as expressed in your own post, the answer isn't still 'yes' ;)
Ah, but the original question had two parts that could not both be answered with "yes".

Q - "will the replaytv 5xxx's support dual-drive upgrades anytime"

A - probably no, but we have no f#$%ing clue

Q - "or is there a limitation in the 5xxx hardware/software that prevents that?"

A - possibly yes, but again, we have no f&(*ing clue.

Q - Are we getting a little silly here?

A - Again, I have no f*&^ing clue, but that's usually the case.

;)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OwenScott
Ah, but the original question had two parts that could not both be answered with "yes".

Q - "will the replaytv 5xxx's support dual-drive upgrades anytime"

A - probably no, but we have no f#$%ing clue

Q - "or is there a limitation in the 5xxx hardware/software that prevents that?"

A - possibly yes, but again, we have no f&(*ing clue.

Q - Are we getting a little silly here?

A - Again, I have no f*&^ing clue, but that's usually the case.

;)
As long as we're getting f*&^ing silly, here's how I parse the question:

Is it true that either (a) the replaytv 5xxx's will support dual-drive upgrades sometime or (b) there a limitation in the 5xxx hardware/software that prevents that? I would think the answer to the question is yes, since it seems highly likely that (a) or (b) is true.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
As long as we're getting f*&^ing silly, here's how I parse the question:

Is it true that either (a) the replaytv 5xxx's will support dual-drive upgrades sometime or (b) there a limitation in the 5xxx hardware/software that prevents that? I would think the answer to the question is yes, since it seems highly likely that (a) or (b) is true.
Thank you, Mr. Spock. I have to say that your logic is... unfailing. ;) I think we'll have to go back to zaphod and see whether the two questions originated from his separate heads (in which case they should be parsed separately), or whether they were a single stream of consciousness, as you interpret. Zaphod?

·
Registered
423 Posts
toots,

Welcome aboard . . . newbie!

Regards,

Warren

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I don't know Toots, I've got gotta ask myself, is this a good omen, or a bad one?

Next thing we'll be hearing is that Alan is giving up parsing logic and going into the drive mounting buisness?

or ReplayRichard tells us about something really cool that actually comes to pass?

I'm very concerned.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For a valid question, it is funny that everyone would prefer to argue semantics. As a general rule, 'or' in a question indicates a choice in what to answer.

In any case, why would there not be a valid reason for this functionality. So, if one has two 100GB drives laying around, they should let those drives collect dust and rush out and buy a 200GB drive and deal with the rebate nazis? Furthermore, you can not rely on Dvarchive always working, given changes to the guide and the like. It is a wonderful piece of software, but Gerry, like the rest of us, only has so many hours in a day.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zaphod357
For a valid question, it is funny that everyone would prefer to argue semantics. As a general rule, 'or' in a question indicates a choice in what to answer....
We weren't arguing -- it was a joke and we were having fun ('or' at least I was).

·
Registered
92 Posts
My heads were so busy arguing about what question to ask, they obviously did not think out the wording of the question, I suppose. The burden of two brains... At least I got that third arm going for me...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.