Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a sony 1251 crt projector and i love it

i just wish they werent such a pain in the butt

i havent had much experience with other projectors to compare with...but maybe its becasue its a little older is why it is always drifting

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Welcome to the land of CRT!!!

Perhaps your drift has something to do with setup?

Many "far from center" adjustments will cause instability in your pj...although I've never had a Sony, so it could be a trait of your pj.

I'm sure other 1251 owners will let you know soon enough.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah im not sure...ive heard maybe a line conditioner can help with drifting. i let the pj warm up fully then i converge it...it only takes a couple seconds to touch it up...and then its done. no big deal...just a minor thing to deal with.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Oh, so your talking very minor misconvergence...a notch of keystone here, a touch of linearity there...I think all pj's are this way.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
A line conditioner will _NOT_ help with drifting. The power suply is totally stable and regulated within the Sonys and other projectors.

Did that advice come from a power line conditioner sales guy?..;-)

According to them, the world would be a better place if we all had one...:)

Curt

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KennyG
Oh, so your talking very minor misconvergence...a notch of keystone here, a touch of linearity there...I think all pj's are this way.
yeah...its no biggie!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
A line conditioner will _NOT_ help with drifting. The power suply is totally stable and regulated within the Sonys and other projectors.

Did that advice come from a power line conditioner sales guy?..;-)

According to them, the world would be a better place if we all had one...:)

Curt
ok...kool...thanks

well...is there any advice on anything to do? or is the drifting just how crt's are?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Try a a bigger anchor and more rode, that should help your drift. :)

There are far more qualified guys to answer this question out there but from what I understand if you have the unit on the ceiling with little vibration it would help. There is a great thread about converging here that Terry turned me onto. I think it's Holy Focus or somehting like that. If you set up the unit correctly from the beggining it will drift less. I here every six months or so it'll need tuning. These babies are fun though huh?

My Sony has anyone who sees it in awe!

Have FUN!

MRW

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
chillin76

Welcome to the forum.

I've found that as I get my Sony setup more "properly", as in less electrical tweaks and better basic setup, I get less and less drift. For the last month I havent touched it. I've started a regimen of letting it warm a full hour before looking at it. Watching the credits at the end of a movie is great now, only black and white with crisp edges.

You might want to check my manual below. I'm currently working on a more in depth version which should be out in about a month. I'll be adding more detailed initial setup procedures and the fan mod, as well as just having a better structure to the manual.

Wes

·
Registered
451 Posts
Welcome to the forum and CRT projectors! From your post it sounds as though there is drift when you first power up the projector. This is normal, as others have stated. I have a 1272Q and properly converged it after being on for about an hour and it takes about 10 minutes for the picture to be "WOW" great quality from a cold startup. Also, mooneyass, GREAT info on your site. That pdf setup file will be an excellent guide for newbies to the CRT forum...good job. :)

-Audiophil

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey! thanks everyone...im glad i got on this site now! im not a total idiot when it comes to this stuff...but i can surely use some help...:) thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
um...after reading the holy focus thread on how to set up and focus crt projectors...i now know i know nothing about them lol :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Do you have the manual for your projector? There is a site or two that has several of the manuals in pdf forum if you don't. That is a good place to start for the basics of setup. Do a serach in this forum for "manual" and you should run into a thread with some links.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Fireball
Do you have the manual for your projector? There is a site or two that has several of the manuals in pdf forum if you don't. That is a good place to start for the basics of setup. Do a serach in this forum for "manual" and you should run into a thread with some links.
yeah i have both manuals...the user and dealer manual er whatever they are called

i just have it set up to the basics of being set up and it looks very good.

but now that i read all these posts i know there is ALOT more i can do...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.