AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KBK - Have become quite interested in your screen goo of late. However, my screen is a bit problematic. I am posting my situation and questions here rather than sending an email in hopes that others may get insight for their unique applications as well. Here goes...

I built my screen using a blackout material that is 50% poly - 50% cotton. The material is 104"x80". I put the "non-foamy" side out. The screen was stretched over a PVC frame and now sits behind my version of a motorized masking system and a weak attempt at a theater motif. As you can see in the picture I've attached, I can't remove the screen without a ton of trouble.

So, since the screen can't come down and it's not built on a solid surface, I assume I must spray the "goo" rather than a roll-on application. I have sprayed a few car parts before, but I am definitely no expert with a spray gun. I plan to build a make-shift paint booth to prevent vapor from entering the surrounding area. However, I won't be able to overspray past the screen's margins. My questions are:

1) Can I spray the goo right up to the masking? I think I can squeeze a couple of extra inches if necessary, but probably no more.

2) Do you recommend HVLP vs. other compressed methods of application?

3) I may be moving soon... can I fold or roll the material after the goo has dried?

4) I have an LCD projector (NEC VT-540), what material should I use and how much will I need given this screen size (60 sq. ft.)?

5) My screen is currently white and I suspect I will need your grey material; will the image actually seem brighter with the grey material?

4) How difficult will it be for a novice to achieve a uniform and acceptable surface given your recommendation of material?

Thanks for all of the time and effort you have put into this reportedly great material! I certainly hope I can make it work in my awkward situation.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Well, you don't need to be an expert wth a spray gun. Every screen I have sprayed, I have done with a wagner airless sprayer, or a compressor/cup-gun. They have all turned out very well.. with perfect, monolithic surfaces. Spraying the product is easy. If you make a spray booth, you will be fine. Any air that will get out, will be perfectly dry pant dust. The biiger the booth, the less the escape problem.

You should be able to mask off the screen with plastic and pantiers' masking tape (low damage, easy pull type tape) The spray booth should be about 6 feet deep, so you can back off from the screen. A hand held halogen light is a proper companion to have with you when spraying in the boot. Air exhaustion via the use of a shopvac, and a air-exit point is generally a good idea, as well. Dump the exhaust air out a window...(we just use the factory vac system)

I have done screens on a wall in my basement, witha 4 foot deep temp spray booth, using a wagner airless sprayer. make sure the seals on the booth are good! (all my old audio equipment is covered with paint dust)

The high gain digital grey goo is the way to go. (I just made up a mix for that purpose today.....) the 6 foot deep booth, combined with the halogen light allows youto step back and 'feather' the paint onto the screen, for the perfect textured surface..and high gain. This paint LOVES spraying, big time. It just comes alive when you do this.

I say go for it, no problem! If it was my house, and my screen, I'd spend the afternoon getting the parts together, and do it!

You are looking at about 3 feathered layers of the topcaot..done in stages, with small breaks in-between (no more than 5 minutes is required) layers. Then, let it sit with the booth in place, so as to let the surface heal a bit, and to let the dust settle. You can use the screen the same evening. The blackout cloth will provide excellent adhesion for the screen coatings, and the product WILL be rollable afterwards. The farm has been built and sold on that aspect of the product. I have made screens on various vynils.and then.. crumpled the crap out of them. Sort of looks like a giant piece of crumpled paper. That's the screen..about 3 feet across!! Then, leave it for a few days. Then, I stretched the screen back out. After it had time to be stretched back into shape (some spots took a week to come back to perfect shape. but they do. and, the problem was with the vynil, not the screengoo). The Goo product can take the abuse. It can also be put on a rolled screen that will be rolled up many thousands of times.

The screen comes about to aproxximately 58 sq ft. This means that a 1.5 liter batch of each should do it for you. The coverage 'averages' 36 sq ft or so, for 1 liter of mix. You ae gettig to the point, though, where it should be considered wiser to buy a double batch,and deal witht he extra paint hassle.. or use it allup in the application..this is NOT hard to do! get the best surface possible..use a bit extra. The extra topcaot mix allows you the ability to really spend the time feathering the product evenly on the surface. When you do this right..about 1/3rd to 1/2 of it ends up on the floor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.