AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I love the Sooloos Control 15, it's made for the Meridian Digital environment, and would require an additional outboard unit to make it compatable with my current setup. Therefore, I got an Olive O4HD server, a sweet unit that has pretty much the same functionality as the 15 (minus the georgous screen) and very good sound quality. I love that it is standalone - dedicated - vs. a PC based music server.

Do you have a music server?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara  /t/1472194/hey-rich-guys-who-has-a-high-end-music-server#post_23300886

Although I love the Sooloos Control 15, it's made for the Meridian Digital environment, and would require an additional outboard unit to make it compatable with my current setup. Therefore, I got an Olive O4HD server, a sweet unit that has pretty much the same functionality as the 15 (minus the georgous screen) and very good sound quality. I love that it is standalone - dedicated - vs. a PC based music server.

Do you have a music server?

Various >$10K+ servers have been coming out of the high-end woodworks lately (e.g. Weiss, Audio Research, Boulder). Not a good investment if you ask me. In my estimation, price performance of these things is improving so fast, the sweetspot is to spend $2-$3K on a good server, live with it for a year or two and check back in with the current state of the art.

I personally just ordered the Red Wine Audio powersupply, and will use JRiver on a CAPS 3.0 as my server when the powersupply is ready (total outlay about $3K). This replaces my CAPS 2.0 with JRiver.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy  /t/1472194/hey-rich-guys-who-has-a-high-end-music-server/0_50#post_23306579

I purchased my server from http://www.musicvaultcat.com/MVDiamond.html

Using JRiver with JRemote which I love.

(But I am certainly no "rich guy"
)
Ohhhh, looks sweet.

I've heard good things about JRiver - seems to be the software of choice for HD FLAC files.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Bass management, 64 bit digital volume, built in parametric EQ and support for third party room correction and crossover convolution files.

Nice user interface that can be set up as a shell. I can see the possibilities with a ssd boot drive, and preloading software upon boot up, in the

start up folder, so the computer acts like a dedicated music player.

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
I am not rich
but I am very happy with the Baetis HT with Jriver.
http://www.baetisaudio.com/

The higher models have more ram (for intermediate storage of ripped files) standard and higher end connections but I upgraded my Ram so I am pretty happy. It sounds great for music with the Jriver software. All media storage is with external HD's.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Meridian MC200 rocks if used with the rest of Meridian gear.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude  /t/1472194/hey-rich-guys-who-has-a-high-end-music-server#post_23576426

Meridian MC200 rocks if used with the rest of Meridian gear.

Have recently got the totaldac d1-server with reclocking. It replaced an Aurender S10 and it is quite a lot better, more analog, blacker background, just more musical.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Using an old Mac to feed Squeezeboxes around the house, many into high quality DACs. Also JRiver from the computer directly into another good DAC.

Am entirely unconvinced there is any SQ benefit to 'hi-end' servers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you had a look at the Meridian MS200 audio endpoint? It would integrate well with your C15. You'd still have the excellent Sooloos interface, with analog and digital output options from the MS200. I had a SB Touch with digital output into a G68ADV (via a custom Speakerlink to S/PDIF + Comms cable - Speakerlink is balanced S/PDIF over RJ45) and thought it to be a nice sonic upgrade, that's pretty affordable (in Meridian terms).

·
Super Moderator
21,598 Posts
sorry to bump an old thread but thought it best place to post this:

http://www.aurender.com/page/x100

Got an Aurender X100L: this is a high end unit not for everyone: very, very nice unit: I got it mainly to stream Tidal.

Has 6TB storage (two 3GB HDD) and a 120GB Solid State Drive: the SS drive allows songs in the queue to play quickly and the unit and GUI are extremely fast

You can drag files from a PC to the X100L, and you can stream Tidal:also works with NAS server and you can develop playlists that mix the sources.

Unit is a digital source only: X100L USB out to OPPO HA-1 to Krell Foundation 4K via XLR

It has a front panel display and you can toggle between title and artist scrolling, or two different colors of analog VU meter, and adjust brightness

The GUI is excellent…once you get past the learning curve it works quite well: very fast: even searches come back very quickly

All in all this is a high quality, highly engineered unit that is a pleasure to use: sound quality is excellent as expected

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
sorry to bump an old thread but thought it best place to post this:

http://www.aurender.com/page/x100

Got an Aurender X100L: this is a high end unit not for everyone: very, very nice unit: I got it mainly to stream Tidal.

Has 6TB storage (two 3GB HDD) and a 120GB Solid State Drive: the SS drive allows songs in the queue to play quickly and the unit and GUI are extremely fast

You can drag files from a PC to the X100L, and you can stream Tidal:also works with NAS server and you can develop playlists that mix the sources.

Unit is a digital source only: X100L USB out to OPPO HA-1 to Krell Foundation 4K via XLR

It has a front panel display and you can toggle between title and artist scrolling, or two different colors of analog VU meter, and adjust brightness

The GUI is excellent…once you get past the learning curve it works quite well: very fast: even searches come back very quickly

All in all this is a high quality, highly engineered unit that is a pleasure to use: sound quality is excellent as expected
FUNNY!

My friend Lon's Aurender X100L is arriving any minute now today. I'm setting it up for him. HA! Got it from my Theta dealer, also an Aurender dealer, VGI/Craig Shumer.

Me - I've gotta stereo only music server, CAPSv4 Pipeline & also a multi-channel HDMI only music server, CAPSv3 modded with an ATI-Sapphire video card and a larger cooler case.

·
Super Moderator
21,598 Posts
Hello Steve

that is funny

couple of hints:

there are 3 USB ports on the back: be sure you connect to the one marked USB audio

suggest you power it through a UPS: it warns you the hard drives can be corrupted if AC power is cut off: my power went out and it went through a recovery process (nothing lost or corrupted): I added a sine wave UPS to power it

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
Hello Steve

that is funny

couple of hints:

there are 3 USB ports on the back: be sure you connect to the one marked USB audio

suggest you power it through a UPS: it warns you the hard drives can be corrupted if AC power is cut off: my power went out and it went through a recovery process (nothing lost or corrupted): I added a sine wave UPS to power it
Already done! HA!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just got my Aurender N10 from Craig today.
Going to spend the weekend setting things up.
Of course, can't tell anything til Tuesday,
when Mark Seaton comes to set up the sonics.
David

1 - 20 of 35 Posts