AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toshiba already makes these Regza LCDs with sd dvd players built-in. How much more would it cost to have it be a HDDVD player?

Seems to me that would have a pretty high WAF. To be able to pop a HDDVD in a TV on a wall would be cool. They would need to make it simpler to get the movie up and running, though, and eliminate playback glitches.

Right now, Tosh only has the built-in dvd player in their 32" LCD, but they used to have it in 37". If they put it in 46" to 50" LCD, the HDDVD image would blow people away.

·
Registered
22,351 Posts
Great idea, but difficult to implement. HD players are a lot more than just a drive. CPU, memory and the like are all needed, with resulting heat and power and space requirements. Could be done though, but probably not in a "slim" cabinet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Keep in mind that most of the television manufacturers also make DVD players. I'm sure they've done the math on this and realized that they make more money selling two boxes, or else we'd see more integrated disc players in tvs. There is also the matter of having to service the television because the drive mechanism is broken. I am sure they are loath to deal with that.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wouuld really like to see this for a smaller TV. Something like a 26" or 32" for the bedroom. Don't have an AV rack in the bedroom and don't want an extra HD player, but a TV with a player built in would be real nice.

I know there are those that will say it is a waste for that size TV, but I can easily tell the difference. Besides - the main point is just being able to play the movies we already have without another big black box in the bedroom.

Right now my wife can't watch her movies upstairs unless they are combos.

As far as fitting in all the guts into a TV - have you seen the pictures of the inside of an A3? There is not much to it. They also save parts by combining things - one power supply etc.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I really don't like the "all-in-one" concept. Buying pieces of equipment separately always ensure a superior level of quality.

·
Registered
344 Posts
For a smaller TV it is not all about the absolute best quality. The all in one has its place.

Now for the main viewing area I agree.

·
Registered
344 Posts
In this instanced I would just use the TV speakers, but even my 9" tv/dvd player has coaxial audio out.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
We have a 26" LCD with built-in SD DVD that I thought would be a no-brainer for the kids room. It does 1080i which is no big deal because it is used mostly for tv and movies.

It has HDMI so switcher can choose between HD and BD players more because we had the "extra" than for any need to put HDM on a 26" tv. Speakers are already incorporated so its a clean, easy set-up.

It does make it hard to service or upgrade if one of the parts is underperforming - more things to break.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/12867288

Great idea, but difficult to implement. HD players are a lot more than just a drive. CPU, memory and the like are all needed, with resulting heat and power and space requirements. Could be done though, but probably not in a "slim" cabinet.

If they truly designed it as an integrated system, I think the TV part could share a lot of hardware with the HD DVD player part. I mean, there is already a ethernet port. The player could just simply use it too. Same for the CPU and the digital audio output.

I have one of these, but with the builtin SD DVD player, for the kids. While they really don't care about 1080i/p, it would be sure nice if they could watch some of the new HD DVD discs I own (like Harry Potter).

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
It's a good idea but won't be feasible. Many REGZAs available in Japan has built-in 300 GB HDD.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I think it's a terrible idea...with HD technology evolving so fast who would want to be stuck with a player that is obsolete in 6months. If Blu-Ray dominates the software market that's another negative. It also reduces the resell value.

Cd

·
Premium Member
929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo /forum/post/13057354

I really don't like the "all-in-one" concept. Buying pieces of equipment separately always ensure a superior level of quality.

All in one is a good thing for vacation homes, motorhomes, boats.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog /forum/post/13063021

I think it's a terrible idea...with HD technology evolving so fast who would want to be stuck with a player that is obsolete in 6months. If Blu-Ray dominates the software market that's another negative. It also reduces the resell value.

Cd

How will it be obsolete? It will always play DVDs and will continue to play any HDDVDs.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I never understood the appeal of integrated tv/vhs/dvd players....if the dvd player stops working are you going to tolerate sending the whole thing to a service center?

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/13066234

I never understood the appeal of integrated tv/vhs/dvd players....if the dvd player stops working are you going to tolerate sending the whole thing to a service center?

For a kids room (although I don't let my kids have TV's) or the parents bedroom or in the kitchen they are very handy.

The point is so wether an audio/videophile wants them, but wether mainstream buyers want them. If a 32" is $500 and with a built in HDDVD it is $600, then that would appeal to a lot of people. This is not as a main television, but something to allow the HD collection to play all over the house.

One other thing is that blu cannot really counter this as their players would add too much cost and would alter the value equation.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrum /forum/post/13066020

How will it be obsolete? It will always play DVDs and will continue to play any HDDVDs.

And one can still always plug in an external player, be it Blu-ray or other.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts