AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a HG20 yesterday. My daughters birthday party is tomorrow, so I don't have alot of time to experiment. Can someone give me a good setting to use for her party? The party will be at a mall - so indoors with good lighting. I am not well versed in all the technical things, so as simple as possible would be great.

Thanks in advance for any advice. You guys were extremely helpful in deciding on this camera.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kcm /forum/post/15570535

I just got a HG20 yesterday. My daughters birthday party is tomorrow, so I don't have alot of time to experiment. Can someone give me a good setting to use for her party? The party will be at a mall - so indoors with good lighting. I am not well versed in all the technical things, so as simple as possible would be great.

Thanks in advance for any advice. You guys were extremely helpful in deciding on this camera.

mommy, the HG20 has an "Easy Mode" button. It's a silver button located on the left side after opening the LCD screen. It will take care of everything for you. You could tweak with this and that in the future, but if it's tomorrow, go with Easy mode.

In the online version of the manual, page 27, it says:

Quote:
Easy Mode:

Press the button to enter the

mode (the button's blue light will

be on). You do not need to worry about

any settings and can shoot video using

just the zoom lever ( 36) and

( 34) or take photos using

just the zoom lever and ( 61).

The viewfinder ( only) and Quick

Start function can also be used in

mode.
So, if you press the silver Easy Mode button and the blue light goes on - this means you got it right, the light should be on...this is all you need to really do.

You can download the pdf version of the manual here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...nloadDetailAct

...or refer to the paper manual that came with the HG20.

Either way, you still need to decide the bitrate/mode: either FXP (17mbps) or highest quality MXP (24mbps). (Don't use the lower settings; XP, LP or SP -it's pointless to go with the lower quality.)

I'd say, keep your options open for editing/DVDs and just record in FXP for now. Use function>menu to change the mode. (see page 35 of the .pdf manual)

Since the HG20 has that large hard drive, make sure you set the camcorder to record to HDD in the menu.

Function>Menu>Record media for movies> choose HDD/Hard Disk. This way you don't have to worry about changing a card. it will remember both the mode and hard disk option, even after you turn off the camcorder - so you only have to do those changes once - until you want to change them again to something else. But make sure the Easy Mode blue light is on after you turn the camcorder back on.

You still need to hit the Start/Stop button to record; located on the back of the camcorder. The Easy Mode just takes care of the settings for you.

You can see more images and descriptions of the HG20's menu, (four pages in all), here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camco...structure1.php

But at least do a little experimenting to see if you are even recording - don't try it for the first time at the party!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you everyone. I knew I could count on you guys. It worked perfect. I am sure I will be back with more questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts