AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Note: Apologies if this has already been posted)

I've been seeing ads for this series for a while and finally caught it tonight for the first time.

It's about a couple who is building a kick-butt house somewhere in Maryland(?) and all of the issues that go along with building something that immense.

Anyway, one of the issues they're dealing with is the electrical work. They showed a couple of shots of all the wiring in the basement and all of the computer racks (industrial strength mind you... there must have been 4 of them) waiting to go in. Holy crap! I've never seen so much wiring in all of my life. I thought I had a lot going in for my HT. What a joke.

I can't imagine what this guy is paying for this house. BTW, you should see the freakin' generators he's having put on his "grounds". There are two of them and they're twice the size of the one sittting on the corner of my street.

Oh well, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I haven't caught the show yet. Sounds interesting.

You have a generator sitting on the corner of your street? Is this some kind of neighborhood generator or something for when the power goes out?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxarch
I haven't caught the show yet. Sounds interesting.

You have a generator sitting on the corner of your street? Is this some kind of neighborhood generator or something for when the power goes out?
Oops. Good catch. It's not a generator on my corner (don't I wish). It's one of those green boxes sitting on the ground (we have underground power, telco and cable) that distributes power to the houses (transformer?). I'm sure you've seen them.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I try to catch this show on a regular basis but missed a few weeks. I did however watch last nights and was just amazed with all of the wires! When they showed 4 racks I turned to my wife and told her that they are just crazy. My company has two racks that house 16 servers and these people need 4 of them for their residential setup. The house itself is gorgeous but I honestly don't know how this guy will afford the house after it is all said and done. I look forward to next weeks episode and really cannot wait to see it completed

David

·
Registered
625 Posts
You must be blind or have not followed the idiots(Landry's) as i have. :) This house is the biggest joke I've seen in a while. He tried to build the entire thing out of concrete which was just a wreck, he has tons of electrical problems, concrete problems, heating problems, support beams are not plumb etc. You name it and this guys had it. I laugh through the entire show. He keeps making one bad decision after another and the house has been going for a year and a half. Entertainment factor I would rate as a 9, especialy for people like myself who are also building now and to watch the horrors they have to face while my house moves along nicely. I must admit though his 11000sqft do not make a very fair comparison to my 3000sqft. This show has become one of my favorite soap operas. I too cannot wait to see it finished and I feel so bad for the way things have gone for the Landrys that I hope it turns out okay.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
OK - I've gotta catch this show and witness this for myself. But what's the show called? Is this that "Dream Builders" or whatever it is?

·
Registered
484 Posts
In my old neighborhood, a couple was building a nice 10,000 square foot home. I had to drop in on the construction every once and awhile and drool.

Their basement was a walkout basement with (if I recall) 12 foot ceilings.

Either a basketball court or one kicking home theater.....

Really nice, humble couple too, who just did well in the Manhattan rat race.

·
Registered
484 Posts
In my old neighborhood, a couple was building a nice 10,000 square foot home. I had to drop in on the construction every once and awhile and drool.

Their basement was a walkout basement with (if I recall) 12 foot ceilings.

Either a basketball court or one kicking home theater.....

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet
You must be blind or have not followed the idiots(Landry's) as i have. :)
I have followed this and the previous Dream House. When you do a project of this caliber no decision is really a wrong one. A good size of problems were created by his builder. To me he is doing as well as one could do. He is no idiot. I am working on a room construction and have my own share of mistakes and the size my project is 40 time smaller than his.:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I beleive on one of the episodes they stated that there was 18 miles of wiring for the electrical, AV, security, etc.

Gary

·
Registered
207 Posts
He did make one big mistake and that was deciding to be the general contractor himself. His next mistake was using construction material that has never been used on that large of a home (at least the crew they hired stated they never worked on such a large home before). I will agree that the show is pretty funny. The other family/house I saw before this one was just as funny. Why would you spend all that time and money renovating a house and then decide to sell it after finishing the renovations to build a new house. Like I said though, I try to catch this show as often as possible and look forward to seeing how this house turns out.

David

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speaking of bad decisions (or not... I have no idea);

What's the deal with the styrofoam walls in the kitchen? It's giving the project manager and cabinet installers an interesting time trying to figure out mounting problems.

The Landry's should have rented "The Money Pit" and "Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House" before doing this.

I keep waiting for Richard Landry to topple over the table WWF style during one of their Tuesday project meetings. That'd be a hoot!

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
ELB_III,

The entire house was built using Styrofoam blocks filled with concrete. He decided on this material because he thought it would cut down on the build time then if he just framed it. If I remember correctly, episode 2 to 4/5 dealt with all the problems and set backs this material has caused.

To keep this somewhat on topic with this section, I never remembered seeing any plans for a media room/theater. If I had a house that large I would definitely plan for a 20 seat theater in basement.

David

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
David,

Yeah, this was the first episode that I caught so I missed all of the decisions this guy has made to date. Hopefully there'll will be repeats.

As for the home theater, when they were showing the "great room" in last night's episode (the room with the two big stone fireplaces), I swear I saw some holes high up in the wall, near the ceiling, that looked like some speakers belonged in there. I was thinking, if that's the case, their acoustics are going to be a real challenge.

- Ed.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I've been a fan of the "Dream House" series from just about the start. It's set up as a season pass on my tivo.

Believe it or not, this one is going pretty smoothly considering the size of the project. Several of the prior projects went into litigation and/or they ended up being sold. In one case the owners lost the home before it was completed.

What is painfully obvious from the show is that a good general contractor, a good architect, and excellent communication are the key.

From the 1st Landry episode I knew it would have problems. Why? He wanted to be the GC. On a 10,000 sqft house? Not enough hours in the day to do that and his regular job (running a business). The good thing is he realized his mistake and hired a couple of experts to push it along.

The mistake they're talking about now is moving in before construction is completed. Haven't these people watched prior episodes of the show they're on?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I found the windows very amusing, and also very insightful as to the cause of some of the problems. The Landry's have changed their mind a lot. In the instance of the windows, apparently after the concrete walls were poured, they changed window manufacturers. After the delivery of the windows, they found that the new manufacture measures things 3/4" differently. So all of the concrete window openings had to be trimmed!

The "house" will be great. The 11,000 will have a 3000 foot great room... Imagine that.

(The white zone is for loading and unloading.)

James

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.