Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been trying this for about 4 hrs and about to give up. I have straight DVI to DVI from my Radeon 9100 to my RCA D40W20 (16x9 RP HDTV). It has been working flawlessly and I'm an idiot so decided to upgrade from I think catalyst 2.3 to 3.2 drivers (i'm running Win XP). First boot up where the windows logo on my analog monitor shows black the entire bios/win boot up screen shows red instead of black!. Once windows loaded there is a red hue all over everything (making a pin hue).

OH also the driver swtich corrupted my display soooo bad i ended re-install Win XP Pro on the system. But the color issue is still there. I even tried to uninstall ati cat 3.2 and replace with 2.3 but no help. Now could it be my cable going bad? I doubt it (its Pacific cable 3M DVIDL). HELP its driving me nuts!!!!:( :confused:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump. Anyone using DVI to DVI and an ATI Radeon card please let me know. This is driving me nuts. All black colors are replaced by red on DVI output including the bios screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are getting the discoloration problems in the computer startup / bios, you can be pretty sure it is not a Windows XP driver problem, as this is happening way before the driver loads. Does the discoloration happen when you do a cold boot (fully powered off to on) at the bios screen?

I would try a different DVI screen on your display card if you can to narrow down the source of the problem. If it doesn't happen with the same cable and same card, it may be your screen.

I've also been having problems with the latest catalyst drivers on my Radeon 9000 pro, I get bars in some area of the scree (like the IE toolbar). I'm going to try an older version of the drivers.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I agree with dbt. Try a different display to make sure that it is not your TV. Also check your HW connections - a loose connector? Once this has been confirmed you can also try to boot XP in safe mode. But since you have this issue already in your bios screen I do not think it is caused by a bad installation of the ATI drivers. I think it is more likely to be hw related.

Good luck!

_______

Axel

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies guys. Havent really got back to this problem but what I'm thinking is buying a DVI cable and maybe a video card from Bestbuy to try to narrow whether its my video card that is messed up or the cable. The TV is fine as I can use the components, svideo, coaxial connections and they all display fine. I do not have another DVI display device unfortunately so no way to test that out. This is really weird that it happened pretty much right after i installed the ati cat 3.2. I dunno about radeon cards well enough but i assume updating drivers really should affect the video bios correct? I mean i didnt even flash the bios of the card or anything like that! :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
530 Posts
check the cable. I had the same problem and it was the cable.

dave

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
As a quick check you could also try to use that DVI-VGA adapter that I assume came with your video card to test the card/driver on a VGA display. This will not resolve the problem but maybe help to narrow it down.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I think it is the cable. Did you try shifting the connection on the PC as well as the TV? When you have a hue difference in DVI it usually means the display is not getting one of the primary colors and that usually can be pointed to the cable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm leaning towards the cable and i hope it is the cable. acutally my card did not come with DVI-VGA adapter :-( I wish, that woulda been handy). I've NEVER had any cable go out on me before so i was kinda reluctant. Also, its kinda hard to find any place that sell DVI cable in Houston. The only ones i've seen is Monster cable and its like $100 for 2-3 feet!

*Now i got my cable from Pacific Cable which is a well known name around here in the forum. I figure they'd have some sorta warranty has I've only had the cable for about 4 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.