AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*bump* and new info - Saturday I'm going to demo a 17 hr old Sanyo PLCXU22N demo unit for $2700 (before negotiating http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )

Compared to the XW15, its 1200 lums vs 800, but according to projectorcentral.com has no HDTV capabilities, no component or digital in, but does have a PC card reader.

Too bad they (or anybody else I talked to) don't have a XW15 to compare head to head, but at least I'll get a sense of the place and see if the used machine has any picture problems.

If anybody has any sage advice or recommendations on what I'm looking at or current deals on comparable projectors I'd appreciate it. I know I'm not a expert on the terminology or intricacies of this medium - but then again I'm quite sure a DVD fed through component cables will keep me happy for years and years (I'm almost ashamed to say here that I've been watching a 27" Sharp TV with a cheap hi-fi VCR for the past 8 years...)

thank you!

Kurt http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since borrowing a Proxima LS1 last week and watching images through my VCR/Cable (yes I know a component linked DVD will blow me away!) in 8 feet on my wall I've become obsessed with owning a home theatre projector... I've searched this forum and read posts till my eyes hurt, now I'm about to take the plunge!

My priorities are:

1) manufacturer's good reputation/owners recomendations (I know its a crap shoot but I'd like a warm fuzzy feeling that this expensive box will work well for years)

2) price (factor in lamp life)

3) resolution (XGA preferred of course but if I can get a SW15/SW10 or equiv *good* new SVGA for $1500 or less for a brighter refurb I will do)

4) lumens

5) warranty (Sanyo is 3 yr, NEC 2, I've read about how good NEC is with repairs)

6) component video

7) zoom capability, keystone correction, bells, whistles

8) HDTV compat

9) size/weight

With my budget of ~$2000 it looks like the new Sanyo XW15 might be my best choice in a new projector. I came up empty with the numerous vendors I've called for refurbed VT540s or proj. brighter than the XW15s 800 lumens. Obviously I'm not a state-of-the art videophile with >$5000 to spend on the best, can anybody suggest any other proj. (new or used) in my budget that will outperform the XW15? Anybody have anything bad to say about Sanyos over NEC?

I've found several dealers through www.projectorcentral.com with XW15s at about $2200 (some places include a Sanyo DVD-7000 player for $2400 - AVPResentations and Projector Depot - I don't have a DVD yet so this might be worth the xtra $200)

I know October closings are right around the corner, but unless somebody tells me prices will likely drop like %25 in a month I'll probably be purchasing the XW in a week or so.

Thanks to everyone who puts in the time to write the incredibly informative and interesting posts on this forum!

Can't wait to watch F1 races and the Discovery channel on the wall... and the 5th Element...

thank you,

Kurt

Trenton, NJ

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Kurt,

You haven't said anything about the room you plan on putting your projector in.

Believe me, you need to carefully consider where screen and projector will go. Every projector has its limits to throw ratio and zoom. This will dictate what size screen you can from a given throw distance.

The light control features in the room and the time of day you want to view also are critical. 800 lumens is fine if you have complete light control whereas 1500 might be minimum if you cannot achieve light control.

As far as the projector itself goes, resolution is important, but you need to demo different technologies and see what tradeoffs you can live with. Some LCDs have rock-solid color -- but a screendoor that is objectionable to you. Some DLPs do not exhibit screen-door -- but show a rainbow effect you might be sensitive to.

For Ex: I noticed you did not mention the NEC LT150 which can be had almost new for $2K and has very decent reviews on dozens of threads here. In a light-controlled room, and for viewers that are not sensitive to rainbow, it might be the best projector for your budget. Or not.

There is more to choosing a projector than just the specs on the projector. A projector with great specs may not fit your room. You need to look at each technology and read up on what people have pointed out as weaknesses, then look for those things in your demos and decide whether those things bother you or not.

If you are determined to buy something in the next week, then you will be gambling. The best way to choose a projector is to attend a show like Infocomm or CES or CEDIA where you can view many projectors in a day.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph, Vutec 107x60 (16:9),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

[This message has been edited by dreamer (edited 09-28-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.