AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody im new to the fourms and i have a question

soon im buying a harman\\ kardon 3390 stereo reciever and also either energy c-100 or c-200 speakers

the enegry speakers can be bi-amped, so i was wondering if i could use the second zone on the hk reciever to try bi-amping the energys

oh if you guys have any suggestion on better equipment than what im looking at buying they will be welcomed, my budget is about $350 for both the reciever and speakers

· Registered
2,653 Posts
Man, this topic has been covered over and over and over again. You're new, so you get a pass.
The term "bi-amping" is such an over used term and thrown around so casually, it's easy to be confused.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=13449244

First of all, TRUE bi-amping is a lot more complicated and involved than just adding another amp to the second set of binding posts. It is done with separate amplifiers low and high pass filters prior to the amplifiers and an out board crossover (on each R/L channel) eliminating the crossover's in the speakers. When speaker manufacturers went into colusion with the boutique cable manufacturers and started adding a second set of binding posts to speakers to promote "bi-wiring" and boutique speaker cables, the term bi-amping started being used whenever a second amp either stand alone or the extra amps in a receiver was connected to the second set of binding posts.

While using an extra amp (again, either stand alone or an extra one from a receiver) can give you a small benefit, it is still a passive way to bi-amp in that you are still using the crossover within the speaker. Only you can determine if the effort of running the extra wire has any real advantage in your system.

Here is a pretty good read on how to correctly bi-amp and what it actually is:
http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm#spkr_sensitivity

· Registered
3,637 Posts
Don't bother. All power still comes from the same power supply. You will gain nothing. Trust that your speakers were well designed and the cross-over will do its job correctly.

· Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16850684

Don't bother. All power still comes from the same power supply. You will gain nothing. Trust that your speakers were well designed and the cross-over will do its job correctly.

I couldn't agree more. Yet even the receiver manufacturers are now jumping on this bandwagon and promoting "bi-amping" using the extra surround channels in their manuals. I really don't understand it since it's not truly bi-amping at all and the gain is really negligible at best.

Same thing with bi-wiring. The amp sees the signal as exactly the same whether you separate the wire coming off of the amp into four conductors and connect to all four binding posts on the speakers without the jumper, or run a full range two conductor configuration connected to two of the binding posts and use the jumpers at the speaker. The circuit is identical. Yet, some will tout this magical benefit for doing so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.