AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought a Infocus 4805 about a year ago, in hopes of joining in on the HD "Craze". While the infocus turned out to be a great buy, I still haven't taken the leap and purchase HD service from Directv, I don't see the value in giving them $199 for a receiver. Hold on I'm getting to my question.

Now I bought a Dell Inspicron 9400 mainly for work purposes, and had entertainment last on my mind. I hooked it to my Infocus and achieved outputs of both 720, and 1080i.

My question is, i'm I suppose to see a great difference between my progressive scan DVD player, and this laptop, because I really don't see it. I'm I setting up something wrong. Give me all your 2 cents. Thanks

·
Registered
996 Posts
That projector is nowhere close to HD resolution. You are pretty much just getting DVD resolution.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
From specs on the web:

"The 4805 features a 16:9 format DLP chip in 854x480 resolution"

No point in trying HD input resolutions with that, it's not going to happen. Colors will perhaps look slightly better and of course HD has less noise etc but you can't see the increased resolution.

Your best picture will (PROBABLY) be achieved sending it it's native res.

Troy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HUH!!! I thought that 720p, and 1080i is HD. I manual says it can handle HD. Output on the screen says 1080i and sometimes 720p.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying to comprehend this HD stuff. So this stuff I just read at Infocus site is Bogus or misleading.

Video FAQs

Can I use the projector to display HDTV?

Yes. The projector will recognize 720p and 1080i HDTV signals. Please note that HDTV is only supported via the Component or M1 port. For more details, see SP4805 Video Connections.

I was trying to get HD, but did I by a "dud" by trying to save money and getting this infocus 4805?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Your projector displays any signal you send it using its available 854x480 pixels. If the signal it gets is 720p or 1080i then the projector will reduce the image resolution to fit the pixels it has BUT it WILL display an image. The image will no longer be at an HD resolution. Is that misleading or bogus only you can decide.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfellow /forum/post/0

"The projector will recognize 720p and 1080i HDTV signals. "

I was trying to get HD, but did I by a "dud" by trying to save money and getting this infocus 4805?

Yes, unfortunately. It's a standard-definition projector that includes the extra circuitry to recognize high-definition signals, but only so that it can downgrade them to match it's own limited capabilities.

The best thing you can say about it is that it supports the full resolution for widescreen DVDs, in fact they might look better on this projector than on a high-definition projector (which would have the opposite problem; it would have to 'upgrade' the signal to a fake high-def one).

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
You seem pissed that you didn't get a real HDTV projector. Well, you didn't. As others have said it's capable of taking HD input but not outputting it at HD. It's no different than the millions of other projectors, Plasma screens, LCD's, RPTV's etc that are listed as being HD capable or HD ready or more accurately Enhanced Definition but really aren't fully HD or even close many times.

Even those that bought 720p displays aren't really getting full HD most of the time. If you want the full HD experience in all it's forms at the best possible quality it's best to save for a 1080p display. (Not one that says it will accept 1080p input, one that actually lists 1080p as it's NATIVE resolution. That's the key word, NATIVE.

Hopefully you didn't pay much, and technically 1080p native displays wouldn't have even been available to you near what I'm guessing was your price range last year anyway.

Now were seeing 1080p projectors around $3500, maybe a bit less, which is a first in history. 1080p flat panels can be found as low as $1200 for smaller ~42" LCD's.

If you didn't pay hd prices you don't have a lot to really be upset about.

Troy

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfellow /forum/post/0

I still haven't taken the leap and purchase HD service from Directv, I don't see the value in giving them $199 for a receiver.

lucky you, here in the UK it's £300 for the box ($600) and £10/$20 a month on top of our normal £40/$80 subscription!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes pissed. The money I placed on that projector, I could have save and added to some more for a "real" HD projector or TV.

·
Registered
409 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=infocus+4805

THe 4805 was a good deal ~2 years ago. I should know as I was considering that at the time. At the local costco it was going for ~800 with a 72" screen. 480p is generally known as EDTV and a few years back and even today nothing wrong with it. Join the above thread and learn more about your projector and how to get the most out of it!

But none of that pixel counting should matter you have a fine projector so try feeding it some quality stuff and let it do its business!

Check out the ffdshow thread to give your standard DVD some pop. Your projector is fine I wouldnt worry so much about pixels and have some fun!

After all AV should be all about having some (albeit expensive) fun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.