AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in western New York and wonder if there are any ota hi-def stations in the Toronto area that I may be able to receive? One of my problems is the Samsung set top box will only take Zip codes for scanning ota stations. I believe that Toronto uses a combination of letters and numbers for similar codes. Thanks...Joe

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
HDTV :: Another first for Citytv!

Citytv is proud to be the first Canadian broadcaster to run High Definition Television (HDTV) programming.

CitytvHD is available over-the-air in the Toronto area on channel 53.

The channel is also available through Rogers Channel 286, our HD Programming will be available to viewers with HD enabled television. You will also require an HD capable set top box. It is our goal to continuously improve your television experience, and we will continue to bring you even more HDTV programming in the coming year.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just to add to what Ken said, be advised that CITY is only broadcasting at 600 watts right now. I can barely pick them up from less than 60 miles away. They are supposed to be boosting power later this year, but I don't recall what the planned power is. If you end up being within striking distance of CITY, then there is also a demo station broadcasting on 66. It's about the same power as CITY, and it doesn't broadcast all the time. Last time I looked it was still broadcasting in the evening.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It maps as 53-1 on my receiver- 6000 with OTA

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jurassicjockey
It maps as 53-1 on my receiver- 6000 with OTA
Is this signal on all the time and how much in HDTV or SDTV? I live in Youngstown NY and I do get a little trace but no picture. I have the Mits HD5. I get nothing with 66 or 66-1.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The signal is on all the time, or at leat whenever I've gone to watch it. There is however very, very very little,ok almost none, HD content. They started off by showing MI2 and a few repeats of Smallville in HD and that's been it. I think Moses just wanted to get his name in the paper with Canada's first digital station, and from here on in it's going to be a slow transition.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are there that many OTA channels that one can receive in the Toronto area to warrant the purchase of an adapter for the 6000 ? I'm down by the Lake in Oakville so Buffalo/Rochester channels could possibly supplement CITY. If the answer is yes, where can you purchase this adapter and what's the cost ? I take it you also need an OTA antenna as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You can receive NBC and CBS right now from Buffalo, not sure about Rochester. ABC is supposed to go live this summer, and PBS is supposed to be by the end of May. Not sure about the others such as Faux.

The adpter can be bought through Bell if you like to pay way more than things are worth. You can also buy them on ebay or from places such as Dishdepot from the States. Should cost you around 140-150 US.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for that information, JJ. I wouldn't have thought that adapter would cost so much, plus you have to buy an antenna on top of that. They're certainly making "hay while the sun shines" with the HDTV "toys" ! ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I notice on my STB (Samsung 160) that I have to plug in the zip code for a secondary city in scanning for OTA digital stations. So how would that work for Plugging in Toronto? Thanks for any help....Joe

·
Registered
167 Posts
You probably know this already, but we don't have Zip codes in Canada. We have Postal Codes instead and they are Alpha/Numeric: ANA NAN. That's 6 in place of your 5 digits, so they probably wouldn't fit anyway. We run into the same trap when we gullibly enter some contests or freebie giveaways on the 'Net only to find that with sufficient space for only 5 digits, it was obviously intended for US residents only. (Even though the email address to which it was addressed was [email protected] .) :(

·
Registered
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by midnite cowboy
I notice on my STB (Samsung 160) that I have to plug in the zip code for a secondary city in scanning for OTA digital stations. So how would that work for Plugging in Toronto? Thanks for any help....Joe
Most likely you'd have to manually add the station, or select a zip code from Lewiston NY, 14174 and see what happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.