AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sammy HLN507W is connected via DVI to the Sammy TS160 HD receiver. I have the TS160 connected to a Denon 5.1 HT receiver via a digital coaxial cable. I get Dolby Pro Logic Dig sound when viewing Hi Def programming and unable to switch to 5.1. The 5.1 setting seems to sound better than the Dolby Pro Logic. However, I am able to switch between these 2 audio settings when viewing non-HD programming.

Any thoughts?

Is HD programming only delivered in Dolby?

Do I have an incorrect cable set up?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'd be interested in a definitive answer to this too. But after playing around some, I think that some programs (even HD) are simply broadcast in 2-channel. When you have the digital connection and Dolby Digital selected, it auto-detects that and locks onto 2-channel. I can defeat this by using Dolby PL2 modes on my HK receiver (what I did on "24" last night for example). Other HD programs are clearly coming in 5.1 and the receiver detects and plays it this way.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dolby has many formats;

DD 2.0

DD 5.1

DDex 6.1

a digital broadcast will likely get you a 2.0 signal which like any two channel input can be enhanced by using a Prologic surround algo on it.

If the broadcast is a Dolby Digital 5.1 broadcast you will get the 5.1 indication some procesors allow you to overlay a DPII setting overtop of the 5.1 playback, but the signal is still a discrete 5.1 playback, not your typical DPII.

Jasirob, I don't know how you're able to switch to 5.1 when a 5.1 signal is not present, your Denon may actually be simply indicating how many speakers it is using and not the presence of a 5.1 signal. Which maybe adding to your confusion, most receivers will indiicate the presence of a Dolby Digital signal with a "Dolby Digital" indicator light on the front panel

display.

hopefully there's enough information there to clarify the situation for you both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.