AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a D-theater video tape player. Even though it supposedly uses much higher bandwidth than broadcast HDTV, I'm thinking that the signal that reaches the scaler might be comparable. Can the current crop of scalers pass that signal through without significant degradation, as most say they can do with broadcast HDTV? If your processor/scaler cannot, what would be your switching options, keeping in mind that the electronics would need to be controllable by a Crestron remote?

Craig

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Craig -

It is perhaps more appropriate to say that the JVC deck "supports" (rather than "uses") higher bandwidth than broadcast HD. The deck has a fine onboard scaler which will output 1080i and 720p. If your display will support either of those scan rates directly, without additional scaling by the display, then it would be a small crime not to take advantage of the pure signal path: avoid further scaling certainly, and perhaps switching too. If you really must do switching, be prepared to do it expensively to preserve the signal well and truly. This all assumes your display can actually make most or all of 1920 (or 1280) horizontal transitions.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dennis:

My display - yet to be set up - is an Electohome 9500LC, which supposedly will make great use of such a signal. So before I buy a scaler (which I will need for DVDs and video), I just have to make sure that it passes the hi def (1080i) signal through with the least amount of degradation. I believe that the Rock does that. Does anyone know if the new Focus Enhancements model does so?

Craig

Craig

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ah, that projector is major league with a truckload of bandwidth, I believe its sweet spot can go well out beyond 1080p when the heavens are properly aligned... anyway, I think a scaler bypass which is flat beyond 37MHz will be in order. I use the Accupel generator which has a 1-pixel wide burst pattern out near the right edge of the 16:9 frame, a real torture test. I haven't sent it through a scaler's bypass though, I'm sure others camped over in CRT Projectors have done and can help you here.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Den
...The deck has a fine onboard scaler which will output 1080i and 720p. If your display will support either of those scan rates directly, without additional scaling by the display, then it would be a small crime not to take advantage of the pure signal path: avoid further scaling certainly, and perhaps switching too...
Den,

I don't believe the JVC 30KU D-VHS VCR has an onboard scaler. It will send out, via it's component output, the same rate it receives on it's input. In other words, if it receives a 480i source from cable or an antenna, it will output a 480i image from it's YUV outs. If it's playing back an HD 1080i tape or 1080i from it's Firewire jack, then it outputs 1080i from it's YUV output. The only "scaling" it can do is scaling down a 1080i signal to a 720P, 480P or 480i signal.

I have the JVC and pass it through my TAW Rock+ SDI scaler using a Key Digital Transcoder with no noticeable degradation, if that helps? I am awaiting a D-VHS test pattern tape to check to see if there are any ill effects from this setup when using test patterns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.