AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am generally not a cynical type, but tell me if some of you share my experience regarding the whole std def to hi def debacle. 3 yrs ago my reg TV died, I knew it was a bit early to go HD, but I really couldn't see myself spending any serious money on a standard set, so I got my first HD set, and this is what happened:

1) Not one salesman knew anything about HD sets & wiring

2) I went with Directv & a RCA receiver, since options were so limited

3) The receiver needed a(somewhat rare) $200 RGB to component adapter

4) The HD dish didn't come with the center LNB or diplexers. What kind of HD dish is that?

5) No one knew (except 1 person in some remote article I found)the local HD was on UHF channels

5a) Turns out it doesn't much matter in NYC for now(where I live), since the Terrorists knocked down our HD antenna broadcast systems on 9/11...

6) Get it up & running but there was next to no programming in HD! But just enough so that it makes the 99% of the std def (we are all still watching) look blurrier than ever.

6a) RCA rcvr dies, replacement dies also... switch to a Hughes rcvr, I am out $$$

7) Find out DVD's aren't even in HD & have incompatibility recording issues

8) Directv finally offers 4 channels in HD for $12/mo, we're so desparate we take it. Turns out ESPN is in HD for maybe 1 event per day & HD net repeats 4 shows over & over til u puke. However it is a great picture & Discovery well... is Discovery.

9)Voom comes out with amazing hardware & an incredible 40 channels in HD, I'm overcome with joy as I am finally falling in love with my HD set.

10) Voom goes Boom, Directv rejoices(more on this next). I can see why. Why would anyone want 40 HD channels for less money than Directv with their 4 channels. Made perfect sense to me. What is with this world-do u have to suck to be successful?!?!

11) Directv basks in their new ad campaign - that BS about re-inventing TV. I was getting so sick & tired of hearing this rhetoric I sent off an email saying may I please have some specifics, I mean even 1 please. They email me back saying they are launching 3 new satellites & that I'll be able to view local channel HD signals right through my dish! Wow - imagine that - something I've been doing with a $9 antenna & a $3 diplexer for over 3 years.

12) Now this part I love - We get to see all these blowhards at Cedia & the likes talking about 1080p & 1980I and 4050J & 18,000Q resolutions and we are still in a mess down here at 720 or so.

13) Ah - we're at unlucky 13! Thanks for listening! Deca

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
161 Posts
welcome to the party. also welcome to AVS....your gonna like it here.......I had sattalite for 10 years....finnaly switched to cable(can't believe I am saying that)...it is centainly superior(great hi-def 17 channels more coming shortly) I understand not everyone has access to a decent cable company but if you do ,consider changing to cable...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Alsgood, sadly I have Bronx Cablevision, they offer mostly the local HD channels. Hell half the Bronx steals it so they're spending most of their time hunting down cable thieves :eek: I'm enjoying this place already! Tx. D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome the misery of being an early adopter!

Some things you aren't considering:

1) if the source material isn't HD, you can't watch it in HD, doesn't matter what carrier you use (DTV, Cable etc.)

2) If you don't pay DTV for the box, you rent it from the cable company. You're still paying for it one way or the other.

3) not everybody is as fortunate as you and can get OTA HD.

4) Not everybody is as fortunate as you and can get HD from their crappy cable company either. Right smack in Los Angeles, and my cable company doesn't offer HD. Crikey.

I do like my DirecTV service though, the picture quality is noticeably better than my cable company. I get static on all the low cable channels (2-13) which they apparently attribute to get this - wind at their dish station. I thought cable was immune to the effects of rain and weather that affects your personal dish? Hah!

I'm with you on #12. Not sure what you mean with #7 - DVDs look great on my set.

#14 - why are people still recording things in Low D! Why aren't more college football games in HD! Sporting events in general make it worthwhile but for some reason, there is still VERY little original programming in HD, and then you ahve to hope your provider carries the channel. Ugh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.